Throws in BJJ competition

Stick with what you feel most confident doing.

Stick with what you have and train it over and over and over and over and over. So that the second the match starts you instinctively go for your throw instead of sitting there with glazed over eyes wondering which throw to do since you tried to cram a bunch of new throws into your repetoire in a month.

Sumi-Gashi and other such sacrifice throws. Off their double leg takedown, sprawl, counter and you should be able to throw them. judoinfo.com

Drop saenagi is really awsome, and is ussually not expected. You are probably a white belt so this will work.

Lateral drop/hip toss. I knocked the wind out of two guys my first tournament with these.

Weonlywonsixtwo said:
Drop saenagi is really awsome, and is ussually not expected. You are probably a white belt so this will work.

I'd reckon drop seoi is just about the worst technique to start trying to learn a month before a bjj competiton.

Cojofl said:
I'd reckon drop seoi is just about the worst technique to start trying to learn a month before a bjj competiton.

true story

now is not the time to learn takedowns, probably the best bets are the double leg and inside and outside trips. Simple enough i guess.

i'd practice an outside reap

it's the most basic
and can be the most deadly throw from the standup position.

Honestly i'd stay with tai otoshi. You don't want to start learning new throws at this stage. It's also a versatile throw which can be used by every body type.Maybe pick up Neil Adams Masterclass book on it. Lots of nice little details and you might find a variation or setup which you particularly like.

my first BJJ match i went for a flying armbar =S, it faild,

Cojofl said:

Yes - dont do it.

Add some smaller backwards throws to your repertoire. Try o-soto-gari, ko-uchi-gari, ko-soto-gari and de-ashi-barai. They can all be used as small "jabs" as well, to open up for your tai-o-toshi or other forward throw.

At this stage dont try and learn TOO much you dont have the time. Just pick one or two that feel good and learn it well.

why dont you just practice your sprawl and try to take the guy's back everytime he shoots? thats much easier. worth 4 fucking points too, 2 more than a takedown.

I have pretty much mastered ankle picks. We have an All-american wrestler at my gym and he showed numerous ankle picks from various picks. Since i am so tall i have alot of success with them. I dont try for throws that much i fake them alot though.

Cojofl said:

LOL. So true. It would look like he turned around and turtled.

Outside single. Grab that leg and flop around like a fish. There's no points in pretty techniques :)

Sauron said:
true story

now is not the time to learn takedowns, probably the best bets are the double leg and inside and outside trips. Simple enough i guess.

The trips are really instinctive and thus good :)

Just clinch, and learn basics, like foot movement, balance, and keeping your hips lower than theirs.

Thanks for the tips guys!
Only brown belts and higher have ever managed to double or singleleg me so my sprawl is at least decent.
But I personally hate fighting passively as it seems this is the fashionable way in my weight class.
I want to take

Back