THROWING UP After Training

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by Biggiebrother**, Sep 17, 2005.

1. Biggiebrother**

Biggiebrother** Brown Belt

I didn't know which forum to put this thread in, could go in any of the training forums, but i put it here cos this forum has the most threads :)

How often do you throw up after training ?

I did today, really pushed myself with a mate, firstly an 8K swift run, then a 90 minutes sparring/bagwork/pad work.

What causes someone to throw up after training ?

I think it's taxing your body, especially the nervous system to close to the limit.

2. Biggiebrother**

Biggiebrother** Brown Belt

BTW, this was first thing in the morning, i hadn't eaten anything that day, so it wasn't due to training too close to a last meal.

3. johil d'o

johil d'o Thought Warrior

I've felt totally spent a few times but never to the point that I felt I was about to throw up. I've seen guys in better shape than me throw up though. It must have something to do with your ability to push yourself beyond your physical limits, at least for a brief time. I haven't pushed myself to that breaking point, I guess. In junior high school, I remember a couple guys that ran the fastest 1 mile time, beating everyone else in the gym class, and they threw up right after. Perhaps it is a nervous system reaction. Weird.

4. LCDforMe

LCDforMe Purple Belt

I threw up one time after a workout with a personal trainer at a gym. We were doing sprints and a bunch of jumping excersizes. I puked. It sucked a lot.

5. wenispinkle

wenispinkle Skankin' It Easy...

it will go away as your metabolic conditioning gets better.

for now, avoid puking, as its intensely catabolic

6. flyingknee16

flyingknee16 Brown Belt

my friend told me his muay thai instructor told them that if they barfed he would make them eat it off the floor. so no one ever barfed.

7. fozzit

fozzit Guapo Mestiso

I threw up today during a match and kept it in my mouth until clock ran out...

8. Commissar

Commissar Gold Belt

I don't. I push myself past my limit each night of training and I don't throw up.

9. Cojofl

Cojofl Brown Belt

If I take more than month off training, i'll throw up the first session back.

10. You guys are all insane. Train smarter, not harder...or maybe im just a bitch im not sure.

11. Rory McDonell

Rory McDonell Green Belt Professional Fighter

it doesn't always have to do with overtraining. some people, when the work out really hard, have their blood pressure drop. Its more common than you might think, and the bodies natural response is to puke, which raises the vlood pressure

that being said, it can be avoided by staying hydrated.
    I've puked trying to force too much water into my body in a short time, then going back to training, so you need to be smart about it.

12. colinm

colinm Brown Belt

it can happen to anyone when you really bust ass. my buddy was a heavyweight hs wrestler and threw up nearly every practice, even months into the season. ive thrown up from heavy squats, never from bjj tho.

13. physicaltherapy

physicaltherapy Blue Belt

I always thought it was some kind of sympathetic/parasympathetic reaction.

Extreme stress causes that "fight or flight" adrenalin rush which is a sympathetic reaction.

Maybe the body reacting to VERY extreme stress causes the blood pressure to drop causing the body to shut down....causing you to puke in some cases pass out?

You're body's like "Shit this is too much....we need to slow down"

I have no idea.....we need a doctor to answer this question.

14. thecas

thecas Blue Belt

I will puke if I merely roll with only 2 guys 4 a total of 10 mins. that bad eh.. But of course, the higher belts can roll with 5 and feel like just exercising.

15. SteveSmith

SteveSmith Guest

I never puked from training, but often came close. When I start to feel sick, I stop. It happened often in my weighlifting training. It doesn't take long. About 30 minutes.

16. LCDforMe

LCDforMe Purple Belt

A true warrior. How much time left on the clock?

17. flyingknee16

flyingknee16 Brown Belt

I've thrown up once, I was very dehydrated, my tongue was very dry, and I had a nice triangle choke sunk in, but I couldn't finish it because the meatball marinara sandwich I ate at subway 3 hours earlier was about to burst out of my stomach onto the mat. but i did throw up in the bathroom.

18. toehold_delight

toehold_delight Orange Belt

the only time i feel sick when i train is if i eat around 2 hours or sooner to the session, but i haven't puked yet *crosses fingers*

19. Foolkiller

Foolkiller You have meddled with the primal forces of nature!

Part of the only one holistic system of systems
    I've gagged often, never chucked up. Closest I got was when some fat guy in a stinky gi was sweating like Roger Ebert in a sauna just trying to pass my guard and he started dripping all over me and my face. Then he lay on top of me tired out and I got his disgusting stank chest hair dripping right into my eyes and around my mouth. I tapped out, stood up, drank half my water bottle, spat it all back out into the bin, poured the rest over my face and sat out until the feeling of sickness went away.

20. satchmo

satchmo The Champ

The only times I've puked are when I've been a dumbass and gulped down too much water in the middle of practice/training. As long as I don't do that I can train as hard as is possible and not puke.