Throwing Techniques against bigger guys

b0b

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I sometimes have to go up against a guy that weighs 300lbs. I weigh 200 lbs. Obviously, it is harder for me to take him down. What I usually do is clinch, try to get around to his side (since I am quicker), get my hips, lower than his, put my feet on the back of his, and fall down.

Anything else that is effective against bigger guys?

Well You ARE in Judo/JJ so the guys will have good balance. Foot sweeps when they are coming in or backing out work well as long as you break the balance a lil.
Generally guys that big are hard to off balance without comprimising yourself too so thats why I like to catch them when they are moving.

On the other hand a guy that big can make you look great cuz when you get their balance going ina certain direction it is hard for them to recover.

and of course the speed technique you talked about.

i dont understand what you described but tani otoshi (valley drop) works good on big guys find the video clip on judoinfo.org if you dont know what it is. ankle picks also work good, especially if your fast.

Valley Drop.. could that be Talfallzug?
stand left to him,
Grab his left sleeve with left hand,
Pull it over your head to the other side,
reach to the other side with right arm,
extend your leg behind him,
fall backwards, tripping him and when he connects the ground ram elbow into chest?

depends how tall he is and how thick his legs are but a single leg with a sweep works pretty well against big fellas

In wrestling (I know it isn't Judo or JJ) I teach two variations to the same throw. The lateral drop/overunder/baseball throw, whatever you want to call it. You overhook one of your opponents arms and underhook the other. From this position you can do several things, but I'll only cover two of them.

First: If your opponent is pushing on you the throw is very easy. Your foot work is crucial and it's hard to explain without a visual demo. Basically you'll be stepping out of the way as you come down on the overhook and up on the underhook. You'll land in a side mount. http://www.themat.com/coachescorner/technique/lateralunderhook/lateralunderhook.asp

Second: If your opponent is backing away, you can do a "dance step". Again, this is hard to explain properly without a demo. From the same clench position, you take two big/quick steps to the underhook side which (if the steps are big enough) should have you facing the opposite direction and now, thanks to physics, your opponent will be pushing and slightly off balance. This is when you apply the first variation of the throw. Again, you'll land in a side mount.

I've had a lot of success with this in freestyle/folk/roman grecco, and I've coached a lot of kids who have done well with it. I took two different HWs to CA State Sectionals and this was about the only move they used. One of them was a first year wrestler. Good luck bOb, hope I didn't confuse you

In the gi drop seois, drop sodes, footsweep combos, ankle picks, kouchi makikomi, sumi gaeshi, tai otoshi can all work well against big guys.

b0b said:
I sometimes have to go up against a guy that weighs 300lbs. I weigh 200 lbs. Obviously, it is harder for me to take him down. What I usually do is clinch, try to get around to his side (since I am quicker), get my hips, lower than his, put my feet on the back of his, and fall down.

BTW, duckunders ( http://www.themat.com/coachescorner/technique/duckundernearside/duckundernearside.asp ) and armdrags will help you get to the position you're describing, and they are low risk.

foot sweeps work well for me against big guys......foot sweep into o uchi gare set up all the fucking time... if they like to rush you and try to pummel then sumi gaeshe works like magic...

Big guys with a good base are difficult to takedown with a shot (double, single, etc.). Throwing a bigger guy (with good base) is also very difficult and could lead to disastrous counter throws (squash!).

I am small myself and often grapple against bigger guys.

My recommendation: Ankle Pick.

No-Gi near-leg ankle pick:
http://www.geocities.com/josephgarza/tech016.html

No-Gi far-leg ankle pick counter to a shot:
http://bjj.org/techniques/cesar/take1/

The

i almost forgot the LOW SINGLE!! MONEY

fozzit said:
i almost forgot the LOW SINGLE!! MONEY
If you're quick enough to stand up with it, it will work like a champ, but if you get caught under a fat mans' sprawl.....ouch. That's how I tore my rotator cuff.....the FIRST time.

I never stand doing a low single!?! I usually use the lapels the pull the guy down, grab behind the knee to trap the guy, then grab the ankle, take dood down, control leg, then pass guard... all on the ground...

fozzit said:
I never stand doing a low single!?! I usually use the lapels the pull the guy down, grab behind the knee to trap the guy, then grab the ankle, take dood down, control leg, then pass guard... all on the ground...

My bad, I was talking about from the feet, no gi and finishing with a standing leg sweep. Judo low leg is apparently different from a wrestling low leg.

you are talking about a regular low single leg into a o uchi gari (major inner leg reap) combo..

im talking about the low single where you grab the ankle with both hands, and with your shoulder you push straight into their shin with your shoulder from a turtle position... its money i tell u money... grappling magazine co signed me with a couple of issues ago...

one of my favorite take downs

b0b said:

that's a good one, plus it minimize the risk of having a guy that size fall on you....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back