Throwing technique?

It is the type of gym people on Sherdog make fun of. Lots of kata in the karate class with very little full contact sparring. The Gracie combative class has full approval of Rener and Royler

Last edited:
Ok, it doesn't bother me if the gym is something sherdog wouldn't like. I found your dojo and it looks like a well run business. Certainly it's making people happy.

What does bug me is when someone starts spouting that they are somehow elite or secret like pre-war Judo. There are very few people around who are still connected to that era - maybe this guy is, but odds are not good. And it's not like the techniques in pre-war Judo are really different... it's just really brutal training methods not always agreeing with science.

It's like someone saying they practice Kosen Judo when it's really only a ruleset allowing more newaza time in school competitions. It's still newaza, jerkoff!

Oh and the fact that this guy feels the need to go apeshit on a beginner in randori says to me that he either isn't really that good or he has some emotional issues.

Last edited:
Also several of the things he lectured me on were discussed in this article: http://fightland.vice.com/blog/jack-slack-fighting-motives-part-1 The point about grabbing the wrist to prevent someone from drawing their sword, as well as the attention to wrist locks is something I learned at my gym.

I also read the Book of Five Rings on my teacher's advice.

He's told me stories of how when he was training, his teacher would hit him with a Shinai. Thankfully that hasn't happened to me yet as my teacher is more mellow than his teacher.

I'm curios as to how would anyone know if he was connected to that era? Through looking at articles people wrote about jujitsu and comparing what I have learned in person, seems to be a good start.

Anyway what makes you an expert on the old days? Where do you learn judo?

Last edited:
You seem to have a lot of insight into this sort of thing. Maybe you could direct me to better resources since you are critical of my post?

It doesn't take much knowledge to be critical of someone who thinks morote seoinage is a hip throw.

Better resource? A judo school.

It doesn't take much knowledge to be critical of someone who thinks morote seoinage is a hip throw.

Better resource? A judo school.

that was a typo. I mentioned that earlier. The first couple of my posts were on a smart phone. Seriously you guys making fun of my gym and not directing me to your own? That's lame.

hell i even admit my current gym isn't that great and only has one real good teacher who tosses me around like a sack of potatoes.

If all the main difference between the prewar stuff and the new is that the teacher threw the student around hard than it looks like my teacher is legit yes?

I'm curios as to how would anyone know if he was connected to that era? Through looking at articles people wrote about jujitsu and comparing what I have learned in person, seems to be a good start.

Anyway what makes you an expert on the old days? Where do you learn judo?

No, brutality isn't the defining aspect of pre-war Judo. It's really the old Japanese fanatical attitude. Throwing someone hard is nothing at all. It's training you beyond exhaustion and into injury. Then stomping on your injury. Then beating you when you can't keep up.

Read Kimura's biography and how he would train 6 hours a day. Then 9 hours a day. Do 500 pushups. In Japan they overtrain everyone and let the strongest rise to the top, but leave the rest broken.

You don't want that. It's stupid.

That stuff still exists though, and it's not related to pre-war Judo. At one dojo in Japan everyone had to kiai when the team captain did, except one student let slip once. The captain then went over and punched the guy in the face.

I only know about the past from hearsay in Judo. I don't know your teacher but it all just doesn't pass the sniff test.

I'd prefer to stay anonymous but I trained Judo in one of the Olympic Training Centers in the US. Not that that really means anything... just some weird designation by USA Judo to make it sound better.

Btw, a quick and easy way to tell a grappler who has gone through hard training... look at his hands. You'll see the wear and tear, callouses, and knuckles about twice the size of your own. Yes, twice. That my friend, is not easy (or pleasant anyway) to fake!

Last edited:
Yeah ive heard the same thing about training in Japan now and in the old days.

My teacher's hands are indeed beat up. He has bad knees too. Judo will destroy your knees if you do it hard.

Also, if all you know is hearsay why are you acting like some authority in the matter? I did my research,

In one of Jimmy Pedro's books http://www.amazon.com/Jimmy-Pedro/e/B001HCY7JA/ref=dp_byline_cont_book_1 he discusses how in the old days both players would immediately go for grips, and there was little footwork or fighting for grips like in present day. That is another point my teacher's lecture matched with another respected source.

if you are gonna talk about pre war judo or any judo you best be able to submit some sort of source and not just call people fake. That's rude.

Last edited:
If it's not clear let me say it again: there is nothing inherently different about pre-war Judo. It's just was a time period when an ecosystem existed where people would train fanatically, thereby creating a high standard of Judo. After the war training was interrupted. But now with universities and global competition Judo players train just as fanatically, albeit in a slightly less sadistic manner.

If you want to experience hard training, go somewhere that has it. Like one of the OTCs. Or heck, a college wrestling team.

Otherwise, "pre-war Judo" is all just talk.

yet you don't have a source for that at all. I don't think you read either the article or Pedro's book on the matter.

My teacher's hands are indeed beat up. He has bad knees too. Judo will destroy your knees if you do it hard.

Also, if all you know is hearsay why are you acting like some authority in the matter? I did my research,

In one of Jimmy Pedro's books http://www.amazon.com/Jimmy-Pedro/e/B001HCY7JA/ref=dp_byline_cont_book_1 he discusses how in the old days both players would immediately go for grips, and there was little footwork or fighting for grips like in present day.

if you are gonna talk about pre war judo or any judo you best be able to submit some sort of source and not just call people fake. That's rude.

Look at the picture of Kashiwazaki's hands in his Osaekomi book.

As for grips, sorry, but everyone knows that grip fighting didn't because more popular until the 80s.

I haven't come out and said he is fake, but I'm saying is highly likely he is. Best thing to do would be to ask who his teacher was and see if you can find any relation with the pre-war Butokukai.

I'm not saying he's deliberately defrauding you either. He may have just bought the story his org is telling him.

yet you don't have a source for that at all. I don't think you read either the article or Pedro's book on the matter.

Can you find any sources on what pre-war Judo was really like? Not a whole lot to link to.

What does your teacher say is the difference between what he teachers as pre-war Judo versus just Judo?

that was a typo. I mentioned that earlier. The first couple of my posts were on a smart phone. Seriously you guys making fun of my gym and not directing me to your own? That's lame.

I'm not sure how having a smart phone makes you accidentally type "hip throw" instead of "shoulder throw".

I don't talk about my school because

1) I don't provide anymore information than necessary online.

2) I find people who place big emphasis on schools silly. Who cares? Do you plan on becoming the next big thing? Plan on making judo your life's work? Go to the Olympics? Then sure, the place you train at and the person you train under would be incredibly important.

But I don't care about any of that. Instead, I really enjoy the basic principles behind judo and the fact that it's a great way to blow off steam/play with controlled aggression. It's a terrific hobby sport and I intend it to stay that way.

So I have no need to train under some great master. I just need someone who knows what they're doing to instruct me.

Why do you care so much about pre-war judo? Do you realize that pre-war judo is the same thing as Kano Jigoru's judo, which is essentially the same judo practiced in most judo clubs, and shows that the seoinage is SUPPOSED to have uke roll off the shoulders and not launched over the head?

The morote seoinage may have uke launched over your head, but that is because the leverage is placed much higher than than you would have with an ippon seoinage. Though it ultimately rests on the height difference between tori and uke.

A lot of judo throws and their actual execution vary depending on height differences between tori and uke. But there are a set of standards developed by Kano Jigoro for his judo.

As for violence from the teacher- I learned TKD in Korea. There they hit you with a big fucking stick if you do things poorly, and I was 12 at the time. The place was also essentially a Mcdojo, since all Korean boys learn some TKD and so there needs to be a lot of them around.

I know what it means to face violence from your martial arts instructor. If you consider that kind of violence to be symbolic of a "good" teacher, then I really don't know what to say.

So I have no need to train under some great master. I just need someone who knows what they're doing to instruct me.

1% inspiration 99% perspiration. I can't say the World and Olympic medalists I've met made much of a difference for my Judo.

Lols you guys make fun of me, but don't have any sources for your knowledge. You ask for where I train like that is important, but won't tell me where you do so.

Never made fun of you, but if you think so, maybe you and your instructor were made for each other.

Not so what you mean about violence, from Instructor. I dont think getting thrown hard in randori is the same as getting punched or kicked outside of it. Anyway I throw my teacher harx as well. He says marote should be a hard throw and tell me to throw harder and use my hips more along with a powerfull hikate

Back