Throwing technique?

A Muse of Fire

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
I have been taught two different ways to throw someone. In one you throw uki over your shoulder so he lands very hard. The other is the more common ( i think) method were uki slides off of your body and lands much softly. Do you guys have preferance? What are you thoughts on the best way to throw someone?

I would prefer over the shoulder, but seeing as pretty much the only time I throw people is in training its over the hip.

T.S do you mean hip/shoulder throws because there are definitely more ways to throw people, especially if you are throwing them backwards or throws where you pick them up and turn

What throw are you talking about? There are a gazillion throws.

The main difference that you're talking about comes from the "perfection" of the throw and the body part/leverage you're using. A "perfect" ippon seoinage will have them roll off the side, with the force controlled entirely by you. Vice versa.

And it obviously makes no sense for you to throw someone over your head when you do a hip throw like o goshi. In fact, the entire premise of a perfect throw that utilizes the hip in any manner having the guy go over your head doesn't make much sense; it's not the easiest way to throw someone and that goes against the point of throws..

Whether a guy goes over your head or not doesn't factor into how hard the throw hits them. That depends more on how well you throw them, with how much you commit to a throw and the speed you put into it giving it actual force.

And it's "uke", not "uki".

I have been taught two different ways to throw someone. In one you throw uki over your shoulder so he lands very hard. The other is the more common ( i think) method were uki slides off of your body and lands much softly. Do you guys have preferance? What are you thoughts on the best way to throw someone?

Where were you taught two ways to throw someone?
What are you training in?
*Uke

i like judo, you should like it to. In the end ts you do what works best for you in the context you are in. Training? dont kill someone with the takedown. Comp? Uchi mata that mofo into the dirt and slap on an armbar before he can catch his breath

Oh, you mean this throws?

hulk-smash-loki-o.gif

Im referring to marote seonage
Sorry for spelling im on my phone

Last edited:
My current teacher is of DNBK or greater Japan martisl virtue dociety.

Last edited:
Im referring to marote seonage and other hip throws. My cuurrent teacher teaches a pre war war style of judo bas3d on the 1925 curruculum. This style is a lot rougher than the Olympic style that comes later. I am currently taught to throw over the shoulder. However my previous teacher taught the more recrnt olympic style

seo nage is a shoulder throw through and through.

it's the way i was taught and I accept no alternatives haha

Im referring to marote seonage and other hip throws. My cuurrent teacher teaches a pre war war style of judo bas3d on the 1925 curruculum. This style is a lot rougher than the Olympic style that comes later. I am currently taught to throw over the shoulder. However my previous teacher taught the more recrnt olympic style

Morote seio nage literally translates as two hands shoulder throw.

It sounds like you're doing it wrong tbh.

This might blow your mind....

There are far more than two different ways to throw someone.

But yeah if you're adults it's generally considered impolite to slam people full force unless you're throwing into a crash pad or it's a tournament.

The morote seoinage is a shoulder throw. Chances are you're getting multiple throws confused with one another, what with you thinking that the morote seoinage is a hip throw...

As I wrote earlier, there are a gazillion throws.

Afaik, there is no such thing as a "Olympic" style and a "pre-war" style judo throws. It wouldn't make sense. The point of the throws is maximum efficiency, why would the efficiency change just because you're using it in the Olympics? The choice of throws may change, but the way you do them?

The morote seoinage is a shoulder throw. Chances are you're getting multiple throws confused with one another, what with you thinking that the morote seoinage is a hip throw...

As I wrote earlier, there are a gazillion throws.

Afaik, there is no such thing as a "Olympic" style and a "pre-war" style judo throws. It wouldn't make sense. The point of the throws is maximum efficiency, why would the efficiency change just because you're using it in the Olympics? The choice of throws may change, but the way you do them?

I think he refers to this video

[YT]o-VlPLyJZX4[/YT]

The ippon seoi of Mifune is pretty broken, maybe because he is old, or maybe because it was the ippon of the time.

My guess is just that its broken because he was old and small at the time. His morote looks crisp.

Sounds like TS is talking about bullshido, probably a non-legit or semi-legit JJJ teacher since he is using japanese terminology and talking about pre-war stuff.

My current teacher is chris chenery of DNBK or greater Japan martisl virtue dociety. Previously I was taught by Michael harrison of sport judo

The Butokukai ceased to exist after the war, and from what I heard the DNBK is a knock off with no affiliation with the historical org.

Sounds like TS is talking about bullshido, probably a non-legit or semi-legit JJJ teacher since he is using japanese terminology and talking about pre-war stuff.

My current teacher is chris chenery of DNBK or greater Japan martisl virtue dociety

Typos aside, it certainly has a bullshidoey name. ;)

According to their website, only four of their "international representatives" list judo in their credentials.

Last edited:
I think he refers to this video
------------------------------------------------------------
The ippon seoi of Mifune is pretty broken, maybe because he is old, or maybe because it was the ippon of the time.

My guess is just that its broken because he was old and small at the time. His morote looks crisp.

Ya. I've seen people do ippon seoinage like that. But generally they were either much shorter than uke and so just the act of the throw naturally had uke go over the head or done in such high speed that they essentially messed up.

In any case, having uke go over your head is poor form. It'll probably happen a lot in comp., but that's what happens when you commit everything to do a throw and have a struggling opponent.

As for DNBK the current society is still affiliated with the Emperor. But yes their main focus tend to be Iado.

Last edited:
Ya. I've seen people do ippon seoinage like that. But generally they were either much shorter than uke and so just the act of the throw naturally had uke go over the head or done in such high speed that they essentially messed up.

In any case, having uke go over your head is poor form. It'll probably happen a lot in comp., but that's what happens when you commit everything to do a throw and have a struggling opponent.

Yes I have heard that said before.

May I ask were do you train and who is your primary teacher?

Back