Throwback: Royce Gracie being choked out by Wallid Ismail in 4 minutes

You're just spewing nonsense, if I'm going to be straight with you.

The only logical thing you could have implied is that:

1. was choked out by a top luta livre guy (also BJJ basically btw, it's what Nogs and Shogun do I believe).

and it was clearly a competition environment against a massive name at the time with high stakes of rich vs poor, Gracie BJJ vs Luta Livre.
BJ no.gif

wt.png

Oops okay well I'm retarded there. I thought he was a lutra livre guy but now looking it up, I knew he was a Carlson Gracie student.

Before my time. Give me a pass, and still doesn't take anything away from my overall point - Which is I have no idea what the fuck Stan is saying.

Also maybe I got the Luta Livre guys mixed up, whatever. Aldo, Ruas, the wrong Nog, Paul Harris, etc. Still, same general point made.

I remember this like it was yesterday. After beating him, Wallid said something like Royce was blue belt level, and even the low level blue belts at his academy know the correct way to defend a clock choke.

This was at 1996 and it is Royce's first loss at anything. At that time royce was considered to one of the less thecnical black belts also.
To Royce's first loss be against another jiu jitsu fighter show how fucked up where all the other styles without any knowledge of jiu jitsu. Until 95 he had 12 straight undefeated fights in the ufc

I remember this like it was yesterday. After beating him, Wallid said something like Royce was blue belt level, and even the low level blue belts at his academy know the correct way to defend a clock choke.
Hughes got him in that armbar relatively easy too

this is what im talking about, all those first ufc monsters just dind't get humiliated by jiu jitsu fighter, they got humiliated by a BAD jiu jitsu fighter.

I'm a couple months into Judo... and this only confirms why I went into Judo instead of BJJ (which of course there's arguments to be made both ways).<GOT3>
now only a couple dozen of months more to them teach your first submission

You're just spewing nonsense, if I'm going to be straight with you.

The only logical thing you could have implied is that:

1. Judo is better than BJJ because Royce Gracie (who I assume, you assume...is the GOAT BJJ player, which he's not at all) was choked out by a top luta livre guy (also BJJ basically btw, it's what Nogs and Shogun do I believe).
wallid was the complete oposite of luta livre lol, he's from carlson gracie, witch had a even worse rivality with luta livre tham the common gracies.
the only time carlson and the rest of the family come to peace where when they team up to kick LL's ass. (Like starks and lannisters against the mad king)

Last edited:
I've always loved the 99' official Ryan/Wallid beach shouting match Mosquito report <{natewhut}>

The Mosquito Report;
So there I was having the time of my life in Rio; training jiu-jitsu at the best academy in the world, (starts with Barra ends with Gracie) going to the beach, eating acai and checking out all the beautiful women in their beach ‘attire`. As I`m coming back from a little body surfing session I see Ryan Gracie over at the juice stand with all the other jiu-jitsu comrades. I decided to pay my respects and stroll over but it seemed Ryan was busy yelling and pointing at someone about 30 yards away.
I figured it was a friend until I heard the well know Portuguese word `viado` which means :eek::eek::eek:.
I look over to see who it is and it’s a face that everyone in jiu-jitsu knows, Walid Ismail.

Walid was standing there in full combat form, arms spread out and his chest inflating, yelling right back.
I thought oh shit! Is this a movie? The biggest vale tudo fight in Brazil since the Rickson/Zulu fight is already booked for April and now it might happen right here on Pepe beach! No way!
I figured they were just gonna flex a little and bark at each other and be on their way.
Wrong! Ryan kept repeating ‘De nova! De nova! De nova viado!’ Which means again :eek::eek::eek:? Again? He was referring to the punch that he gave Walid at the recent Mundial Competition. He was also stating that Walid was at the wrong beach and needed to go back up north where the ‘pale’ people live. Walid was motioning to Ryan that he had signed the contract and he was gonna beat him bad.
(Use your imagination here folks, this is good!)

This was not just another Ryan/Macaco fight. This is the so-called Gracie hater of the millennium and the young lion of the family defending. You have Ryan Gracie standing on the bench pointing and yelling at the top of his lungs. Then you have Walid out on the hot sidewalk (I know his feet were burning!) with his big ears, his crazy eyes, punching his fist yelling back. Pretty soon a big crowd starts to form and Ryan starts saying in Portuguese, ‘Vamos agora!’ Let’s go right now!

Walid starts pointing to the little patch of grass that he’s standing by. After a few minutes of taunting and provoking, Ryan has had enough and is seeing red. He quickly tells his friend Philippe to watch his back and starts to walk over towards Walid like a man with one purpose. He starts to take his shirt off I’m thinking, oh shit this is gonna be good! I was also thinking how bad of a reporter I was for not having my camera but hey, I cant be a tourist everyday. (sorry guys!)
Everyone starts running over to get a good view, and guess who’s right in front? The Mosquito!

Ryan and Walid square off about 8 feet apart and everybody is yelling something in Portuguese that I can’t understand. The air is thick with hostility and tension and I don’t know why but my heart is pounding faster. Walid says something to Ryan and points at Ryan’s leg. I thought he said no kicking but it turned out that he was seeing if Ryan had any keys laced in his knuckles. Right when I thought all hell was gonna break loose on Pepe beach a few guys got in there and broke it up. Ryan got a few spits in though, that landed! Pretty far too!

After they broke it up guess what? They started yelling at each other again from their same corners like two pit bulls barking at each other for the preflight. It finally calmed down when the police came and they both scrammed.

Afterwards I was thinking, only in Brazil on Pepe beach can you get the best of both worlds; jiu-jitsu fighting and beautiful women. It turns out they were at each other’s throats the next day at some gym! Who knows, maybe we will have some action photos for you guys out there in the ‘other’ jiu-jitsu world yet!
Hang in there with us.
Please don’t hesitate to ask us any questions about Brazil. Well do our best to get you the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth so help us Nino, I mean God!
Until the next exciting time this is The Mosquito, buzz out!

Thatsb absolutely comical when you take into account the lights and the colours constantly changing and then that weird one-eyed squint and the other one bulging look he's he has going on- Ficken LOL

<{anton}>
Can't debate that avatar. Put a gi on, please.

Okay well first off you calling me "limited" aka retarded, is just richer than Egg Nog mixed with molasses. Almost made me laugh so I can appreciate it for that, considering the supreme level of irony behind it.

That's cool though. But this is the problem, you basically said Judo is superior to BJJ because...of a BJJ match where Royce Gracie was submitted and chose not to tap. Then you move the goal-posts with some Josh Fabia level bullshit about media narratives dictating the efficacy of specific martial arts. No bro, some martial arts are simply less effective. We've seen it over the past 30 years of vale tudo, UFC1, MMA, onward. If you want to delusionally pretend it doesn't exist, go for it.

Calling for a Gi is just the icing on the cake. Gi is sport. That goes for BJJ as well as Judo, but hence why Judo is way less effective for MMA and real fights, no one is wearing a gi unless you are practicing a specific sport. Judo is still a great martial art comparatively in the land of fake martial arts and less effective ones, but to attempt to say it's "better" than Jiu-Jitsu is frankly retarded given the history of fighting.

Wrestling, Boxing/striking, BJJ = Roughly the pillar of every good MMA fighter. Again, if you want to mock "MMA" as if it's some WWE level act then go ahead and be delusional.

edit: Ignore that whole part about the gi but at the same it's relevant because Judo relies on it. Glanced at your comment while I was busy, didn't see context

Last edited:
Always nice seeing Renzo out

War Wallid

If memory serves me right, Renzo had battled with Wallid for an hour and lost a decision.

There’s no way you’re going to find this on the Internet, but I’m hoping one of the old school guys will verify this for me. It’s been a long time.

Edit: Holy crap, I just did a search and here it is:

I specifically remember Mario Sperry saying that looking at Royce perform in a Jiu jitsu match is like going to a museum, and that his technique was old and antiquated . Mario said that purple belts in brazil could put up a better fight against Wallid at that time. Mario said that Wallid was far from the best in the Carlson team but that he and Carlson knew Royce would lose since Royce had lost twice in front of Carlson in competition and said he was nothing special at least, compared to his fighters.

The clock choke was used to beat two Gracie’s, Royler and Royce.

Until then, nobody tapped, Royler was the first and Royce was put to sleep.

I've always loved the 99' official Ryan/Wallid beach shouting match Mosquito report <{natewhut}>

The Mosquito Report;
So there I was having the time of my life in Rio; training jiu-jitsu at the best academy in the world, (starts with Barra ends with Gracie) going to the beach, eating acai and checking out all the beautiful women in their beach ‘attire`. As I`m coming back from a little body surfing session I see Ryan Gracie over at the juice stand with all the other jiu-jitsu comrades. I decided to pay my respects and stroll over but it seemed Ryan was busy yelling and pointing at someone about 30 yards away.
I figured it was a friend until I heard the well know Portuguese word `viado` which means :eek::eek::eek:.
I look over to see who it is and it’s a face that everyone in jiu-jitsu knows, Walid Ismail.

Walid was standing there in full combat form, arms spread out and his chest inflating, yelling right back.
I thought oh shit! Is this a movie? The biggest vale tudo fight in Brazil since the Rickson/Zulu fight is already booked for April and now it might happen right here on Pepe beach! No way!
I figured they were just gonna flex a little and bark at each other and be on their way.
Wrong! Ryan kept repeating ‘De nova! De nova! De nova viado!’ Which means again :eek::eek::eek:? Again? He was referring to the punch that he gave Walid at the recent Mundial Competition. He was also stating that Walid was at the wrong beach and needed to go back up north where the ‘pale’ people live. Walid was motioning to Ryan that he had signed the contract and he was gonna beat him bad.
(Use your imagination here folks, this is good!)

This was not just another Ryan/Macaco fight. This is the so-called Gracie hater of the millennium and the young lion of the family defending. You have Ryan Gracie standing on the bench pointing and yelling at the top of his lungs. Then you have Walid out on the hot sidewalk (I know his feet were burning!) with his big ears, his crazy eyes, punching his fist yelling back. Pretty soon a big crowd starts to form and Ryan starts saying in Portuguese, ‘Vamos agora!’ Let’s go right now!

Walid starts pointing to the little patch of grass that he’s standing by. After a few minutes of taunting and provoking, Ryan has had enough and is seeing red. He quickly tells his friend Philippe to watch his back and starts to walk over towards Walid like a man with one purpose. He starts to take his shirt off I’m thinking, oh shit this is gonna be good! I was also thinking how bad of a reporter I was for not having my camera but hey, I cant be a tourist everyday. (sorry guys!)
Everyone starts running over to get a good view, and guess who’s right in front? The Mosquito!

Ryan and Walid square off about 8 feet apart and everybody is yelling something in Portuguese that I can’t understand. The air is thick with hostility and tension and I don’t know why but my heart is pounding faster. Walid says something to Ryan and points at Ryan’s leg. I thought he said no kicking but it turned out that he was seeing if Ryan had any keys laced in his knuckles. Right when I thought all hell was gonna break loose on Pepe beach a few guys got in there and broke it up. Ryan got a few spits in though, that landed! Pretty far too!

After they broke it up guess what? They started yelling at each other again from their same corners like two pit bulls barking at each other for the preflight. It finally calmed down when the police came and they both scrammed.

Afterwards I was thinking, only in Brazil on Pepe beach can you get the best of both worlds; jiu-jitsu fighting and beautiful women. It turns out they were at each other’s throats the next day at some gym! Who knows, maybe we will have some action photos for you guys out there in the ‘other’ jiu-jitsu world yet!
Hang in there with us.
Please don’t hesitate to ask us any questions about Brazil. Well do our best to get you the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth so help us Nino, I mean God!
Until the next exciting time this is The Mosquito, buzz out!

There´s another [hardcore] street 'encounter'... I´ll try to write about it...

On a side note, that type of discrimination BS Hyan loved to spit was quite retarded, tbh ,knowin´ where them Gracies originally came from...

Back