Three quick reasons for Barao's failure

Another reason Barao lost was that he very clearly didn't take Dillashaw seriously. In his pre-fight promo at the beginning of the ppv he went on about all the great strikers he trains with and how far Dillashaw's striking is beneath his. Dillashaw's response to that in the cage was deeply gratifying.

Not taking someone seriously in the fight game means nothing really . But more to do with baraos mindset he is used to being the aggressor and not taking multiple shots during a fight but when TJ was all over him with constant pressure and crisp striking it would have started to get to barao mentally and then he couldn't mount a offence which led to him being finished .

Lol okay. Keep sucking at MMA. You've probably never even stepped foot in the ring or the cage.

"Probably never" means as much as your woulda, coulda, shoulda bullshit posts; i.e. absolutely zero.

That explains why you've never stepped foot in the cage or the ring and instead trawl internet forums hoping for trollbait.

just replace a few of those words with their exact opposites and you may have a point!

Three quick rough reasons that were the primary causes of Barao's failure last night

1. Dillashaw stayed outside at kickboxing range
Unlike the majority of Barao's opponents Dillashaw stayed all the way out at kickboxing range and hopped in an out of range to deliver quick shots with his hands. This frustrated Barao as he couldn't establish the jab like he normally does against stationary opponents who opt to stay in boxing range against him. Coincidentally the major mistake Faber made against Barao was staying right inside boxing range and allowing Barao to freely establish the jab. Against Dillashaw Barao attempted round kicks without any set ups due to this different range. Roundkicks are proper for that range however leading round kicks do not land as quickly as straight strikes and are a little easier to see coming. Dillashaw's footwork allowed him to avoid them simply by shuffling back a step. What Barao needed to do was use straight kicks and stepping jabs as his lead strikes as those are a little bit faster and would've landed. Pederneiras warned him of this but Barao paid him no mind.

2. Dillashaw switched southpaw to land power kicks and straight lefts
Outside of the fluke overhand Dillashaw landed in the first the first and with the exception of the occasional uppercut the majority of Dillashaw's landed power strikes were straight lefts, left high kicks, and speed right hooks. The southpaw stance provides a different guard and different pace of stand up fight that allows power strikes to be more easily landed and lessens the value of the jab. The majority of strikes Dillashaw landed were power strikes off his left side while taking the outside angle against Barao. Barao was taken by surprise and was unable to adapt to the sporadic southpaw striking demonstrated by Dillashaw.

3. Barao ignored his corner's advice
Pederneiras advised Barao multiple times to stick to straight punches and straight kicks. This advice was given because Dillashaw was constantly on the outside in kickboxing range as opposed to the more common boxing range. Early in round 2 Barao tentatively threw a few push kicks and had the most success he had all fight. Unfortunately for reasons unknown he completely stopped throwing straight kicks and instead started throwing round kicks. While round kicks are nice they are easy to counter off of and do not land often without being set up with straight strikes. Dillashaw abused this and landed good counters off of failed kicks.

I would provide gifs to illustrate these points but I have no idea where to find them.

I agree, tj fought to win not to fight

great breakdown OP.

Though I feel Barao was certainly overrated, it's refreshing to see someone analyze a victory beyond the simple "the winner was better" retard shit sherdoggers stick to.

To the rest of you retards There's a reason people say "styles make fights" and the OP's breakdown is a perfect example of how the style and strategy TJ used helped him win.

to put it in ways you might understand: If Barao did things a little differently, he might've been the better fighter

great breakdown OP.

Though I feel Barao was certainly overrated, it's refreshing to see someone analyze a victory beyond the simple "the winner was better" retard shit sherdoggers stick to.

To the rest of you retards There's a reason people say "styles make fights" and the OP's breakdown is a perfect example of how the style and strategy TJ used helped him win.

to put it in ways you might understand: If Barao did things a little differently, he might've been the better fighter

I don't think that's what most peoples problem with the thread was. The OP kept saying how Barao would destroy him with ease after a few minor adjustments.

great breakdown OP.

counterfactual conditionals are always true

great breakdown OP.

An obvious flaw in this argument being that the last line could be said about anybody in any fight. Basically meaning that no fighter is better than another.

An obvious flaw in this argument being that the last line could be said about anybody in any fight. Basically meaning that no fighter is better than another.

One thing most MMA fans cannot stand the idea of so much that they won't even acknowledge it most of the time is: There is almost never proof that one fighter is better than another.

There's a reason that people accurately say "he was the better man that night"
Just like in any other sport or game, if it was physically possible for them to do it over again the next day (think: a series--like most sports have) then the results could be drastically different fight to fight.

They could be round 1 dominations in 1 fight and close decisions in the next.

People hate that idea because it takes away people's ideas of legacies and how rematches should be decided

great breakdown OP.

OP's breakdown was incorrectly in a lot of areas. His whole post was "if Barao threw more front kicks and stepped with his jab, he'd have won" which is ridiculous because TJ was circling the entire time.

He also said that TJ never faked the takedown, which he did three times in the first round alone.

Stopped reading at, "Outside of the fluke overhand TJ landed in the first round.."

Back