Three quick reasons for Barao's failure

The threat of the takedown is a beautiful thing. It sounded like leading up to this fight Barao had a ton of confidence in his stand up skills and under estimated TJ on the feet.

I think TS is abandoning this thread so no point to continue posting, but was just rewatching round 2, most of the success that Barao had in that round with his front kick and jab was when TJ was in orthodox. TJ fought about the first two minutes in Orthodox and he got tagged a few times. But he so seamlessly switched to Southpaw (a lot of times from that Cruz-like stutter step, I guess that is its purpose) and a lot of times I don't think Barao noticed--- I sure as hell had trouble following, so I am sure Barao was totally lost. Barao kept jabbing and his teeps as if he was fighting an Orthodox fighter, and all TJ had to do was take a slight step out and forward to the right and he was past the kick/punch and on an angle to do damage.

Really, when people say TJ was just more 'dynamic' they aren't kidding. He really threw Barao off with everything he did, and Barao just continued to fight like he was fighting a Faber, a primarily linear fighter.

He underestimated TJs striking and got his @$$ handed to him. Its actually pretty common in combat sports.

I think TS is abandoning this thread so no point to continue posting, but was just rewatching round 2, most of the success that Barao had in that round with his front kick and jab was when TJ was in orthodox. TJ fought about the first two minutes in Orthodox and he got tagged a few times. But he so seamlessly switched to Southpaw (a lot of times from that Cruz-like stutter step, I guess that is its purpose) and a lot of times I don't think Barao noticed--- I sure as hell had trouble following, so I am sure Barao was totally lost. Barao kept jabbing and his teeps as if he was fighting an Orthodox fighter, and all TJ had to do was take a slight step out and forward to the right and he was past the kick/punch and on an angle to do damage.

Really, when people say TJ was just more 'dynamic' they aren't kidding. He really threw Barao off with everything he did, and Barao just continued to fight like he was fighting a Faber, a primarily linear fighter.

When I said linear in the earlier post I meant lateral. You use arcing leg kicks to deal with lateral movement.

Yes TJ was dynamic in this fight. However all Barao had to do was start leading with his right when TJ went southpaw. Barao tried to fight southpaw stance dillashaw the same way he fought him as an orthodox fighter and that did lead to him getting tagged and demolished.

uvfCZWG.jpg

I remember being 13 years old.

I picked TJ to win the fight when it was announced because of the massive strides he had been making the Easton fight should have opened more eyes. He really impressed me with everything he was doing and I expected him to do very well. He has come such a long way since TUF, and the use of his left high kick was one of the first things I noticed after his lost to Dodson that impressed me.

You are correct about TJ throwing Barao off and the way he changed stances was a large part of it. It really seemed Barao couldn't keep up physically or mentally with Dillashaw. This is the kind of fight I want to watch again with pen and paper got lots of things to learn from it.

I am really looking forward to the Assuncao rematch for the title which should be Dillashaw's next fight.

Keeping your hands in position in a static high guard is not some mystical idea. Dillashaw did not fake a takedown. Barao moved his hands for who knows why. Watching it on replay he might have been throwing a half-assed jab and that's why the overhand landed.

JDS and Cain fought a completely different fight involving a lot more complexities than this one. Other than both punches were overhands there really are no similarities.

Cain presented a multi-faceted attack due to his evolved striking proficiency and formidable wrestling base. Dillashaw has demonstrated in his previous fights that he too has a formidable wrestling base. Barao likely prepared especially hard for this aspect of the fight seeing as it was the only area wherein most experts believed Dilly could possibly hold an advantage. Dillashaw was also attacking to the body and throwing leg kicks. He also demonstrated an ability to cover distance for which Barao likely wasn't prepared. The similarities are very simple. When you have your opponent confused and he has no idea what the fuck you're coming with or from where, there will be exploitable defensive openings. Dillashaw fought a great MMA fight against a great MMA striker.

Go back to your imaginary world where having a penis means you could beat Rousey in a fight.

Dude, he's not saying he'd beat Ronda in a fight. He's saying that a 150 lb. girl will likely never be able to punch with the raw power of a fit 240 lb. man. If you had Ronda Rousey and Jadaveon Clowney hit a punching bag, Clowney will hit harder. It doesn't mean that he'd be able to land it on anyone or that Ronda couldn't snap his arm but he's going to have more power.

Lots of haters lately. TS's post has very sound logic. We don't know if making those adjustments would have brought victory, but it sure as well would have brought more success for Barao.

If I were to sum up the main reason why Barao lost, it was that he thoroughly failed to adapt to what TJ had brought to the table. TJ fought brilliantly, Pederneiras found the adjustment, Barao failed to implement it. New champ.

This thread has epic potential. Plenty of key technical terms and phrases("Kinetic chaining", "movement patterns", "sport-specific movement") plus the resulting smackdown via the fatguy meme. More, please.

Thanks for the analysis, ts. I'm sorry the morons only know how to mock.

Three quick rough reasons that were the primary causes of Barao's failure last night

1. Dillashaw stayed outside at kickboxing range
Unlike the majority of Barao's opponents Dillashaw stayed all the way out at kickboxing range and hopped in an out of range to deliver quick shots with his hands. This frustrated Barao as he couldn't establish the jab like he normally does against stationary opponents who opt to stay in boxing range against him. Coincidentally the major mistake Faber made against Barao was staying right inside boxing range and allowing Barao to freely establish the jab. Against Dillashaw Barao attempted round kicks without any set ups due to this different range. Roundkicks are proper for that range however leading round kicks do not land as quickly as straight strikes and are a little easier to see coming. Dillashaw's footwork allowed him to avoid them simply by shuffling back a step. What Barao needed to do was use straight kicks and stepping jabs as his lead strikes as those are a little bit faster and would've landed. Pederneiras warned him of this but Barao paid him no mind.

2. Dillashaw switched southpaw to land power kicks and straight lefts
Outside of the fluke overhand Dillashaw landed in the first the first and with the exception of the occasional uppercut the majority of Dillashaw's landed power strikes were straight lefts, left high kicks, and speed right hooks. The southpaw stance provides a different guard and different pace of stand up fight that allows power strikes to be more easily landed and lessens the value of the jab. The majority of strikes Dillashaw landed were power strikes off his left side while taking the outside angle against Barao. Barao was taken by surprise and was unable to adapt to the sporadic southpaw striking demonstrated by Dillashaw.

3. Barao ignored his corner's advice
Pederneiras advised Barao multiple times to stick to straight punches and straight kicks. This advice was given because Dillashaw was constantly on the outside in kickboxing range as opposed to the more common boxing range. Early in round 2 Barao tentatively threw a few push kicks and had the most success he had all fight. Unfortunately for reasons unknown he completely stopped throwing straight kicks and instead started throwing round kicks. While round kicks are nice they are easy to counter off of and do not land often without being set up with straight strikes. Dillashaw abused this and landed good counters off of failed kicks.

I would provide gifs to illustrate these points but I have no idea where to find them.

this is all pretty much wrong. dont quit your day job turbo. TJ is the better man.

The infamous fluke overhand right struck again! It's amazing how he timed that fluke punch perfectly. It's almost looked like he trained how to throw it....

If Barao would have utilized the tools in his toolbox that compose fundamental kickboxing he would have won easily.

I tried to read the OP as if it was an objective analysis - in the Jack Slack mode. Now it's clear it was written by a delusional, butt-hurt fanboy.

Back