Three quick reasons for Barao's failure

I have never seen Barao have 'the tools' to beat Dillashaw. Matter of factly, he's never FOUGHT anyone who used that strategy against him.

You act like all Barao needed was to step in with his jab and throw some teeps. You're actively ignoring the fact that Dillashaw was wide stepping all of Barao's linear attacks. Hell, it looked like TJ game planned to avoid all straight attacks and to keep moving circularly.

What Barao needed to do was to a) start throwing more hooks, especially with his lead hand, to try and deter TJ from constantly jumping in and b) stop moving straight forward and straight back, to actually try and pivot or side step whenever TJ came in.

Which, BTW, is NOT in Barao's tool bag.

Step in jab? I mean, really?

I was about to say something similar to this myself.

Barao has never had great defensive skills. He struggles in dealing with straight punches aswell. As the fight went on Barao got desperate just sticking his fingers out hoping to stop Dillashaw's advance something TJ said he planned for in camp something Barao has a habit of doing, and TJ made him pay for it. Something like that really shows you how read Dillashaw was on Barao.

You are greatly underestimating TJ if you think Barao throwing some teeps would have embarrassed him especially when Dillashaw still took round 2. Infact TJ would probably have started countering him from badly timed teeps, and jabs too due to his angles. Dillashaw certainly made Barao pay for a missed front kick something you rarely see punished in MMA.

Last edited:
If Barao would have utilized the tools in his toolbox that compose fundamental kickboxing he would have won easily. Additionally, he did not even have to develop or notice this himself as his coaches told him these things every time he returned to his corner but he ignored them.

To be fair, I enjoyed your analysis of the fight, but I think you are a bit too obsessed with Barao.

Last edited:
He staph, the flu, and his hotel room was disheveled.

I hope one day you shatter your shin and some other douche uses it as an AV. I, on the other hand, am above that.

Douche.

lol at "fluke overhand in round 1"

didnt you see, his fellow brazilians are already saying its because he only had a 2 month layoff

Why were his hands terribly out of place? Could it have something to do with the fact that TJ had been lighting him up and confusing him with his movement? Maybe it also had to do with the fact that TJ's base is his wrestling and he can threaten with the takedown. Cain landed the same punch on JDS in their second fight. His hands were also terribly out of place. I suppose JDS is also a terrible striker?

Keeping your hands in position in a static high guard is not some mystical idea. Dillashaw did not fake a takedown. Barao moved his hands for who knows why. Watching it on replay he might have been throwing a half-assed jab and that's why the overhand landed.

JDS and Cain fought a completely different fight involving a lot more complexities than this one. Other than both punches were overhands there really are no similarities.

In sum: ts gives zero credit to TJ for beating the "#1 p4p fighter." Instead, Barao just wasn't fighting right.

Barao has never had great defensive skills. He struggles in dealing with straight punches aswell. As the fight went on Barao got desperate just sticking his fingers out hoping to stop Dillashaw's advance something TJ said he planned for in camp something Barao has a habit of doing, and TJ made him pay for it.

You are greatly underestimating TJ if you think Barao throwing some teeps would have embarrassed him.

Also, it looks like Barao really trained to fight a wrestler. Every time TJ dropped his weight and threw his hands down, Barao bit and went to jam it and he ate an uppercut several times. Like clockwork.

Barao fought a more dynamic fighter in DShaw. That's it.

I hope one day you shatter your shin and some other douche uses it as an AV. I, on the other hand, am above that.

Douche.

uvfCZWG.jpg

Barao has never had great defensive skills. He struggles in dealing with straight punches aswell. As the fight went on Barao got desperate just sticking his fingers out hoping to stop Dillashaw's advance something TJ said he planned for in camp something Barao has a habit of doing, and TJ made him pay for it.

You are greatly underestimating TJ if you think Barao throwing some teeps would have embarrassed him.

Except Barao had success with his teeps when he threw them in the first two minutes of round two.

To deal with excessive linear movement that far on the outside one needs to throw leg-kicks, not hooks. Hooks would've fallen short because they wern't in boxing range.

Here we go with excuses...TJ was better, that's all there is to it.

Except Barao had success with his teeps when he threw them in the first two minutes of round two.

To deal with excessive linear movement that far on the outside one needs to throw leg-kicks, not hooks. Hooks would've fallen short because they wern't in boxing range.

What linear movement? What fight did you watch?

TJ was circling the entire time. He never stopped circling. Especially in the first round, Barao would throw a jab or a kick when TJ was circling and TJ would keep circling, the jab would go by his head and he'd leap in and attack Barao.

TJ would only jump in during Barao's bouts of inactivity. He was much faster so Barao couldn't just time a jab or kick.

I don't think you thought this through very well.

Trolls and children, eh, TS? You're the one who started the name calling in this thread, and your follow-up posts can reasonably be interpreted as a concerted effort to discredit TJ's victory.

TJ won by being the better athlete. TS really wants to justify his loss as a fluke but it's clear to all that Barao had no answer to the pace Dillashaw set from bell to bell. I picked and wanted him to win as well but he lost badly.

Barao didn't make any excuses and neither should we.

Also, it looks like Barao really trained to fight a wrestler. Every time TJ dropped his weight and threw his hands down, Barao bit and went to jam it and he ate an uppercut several times. Like clockwork.

The threat of the takedown is a beautiful thing. It sounded like leading up to this fight Barao had a ton of confidence in his stand up skills and under estimated TJ on the feet.

Back