Three quick reasons for Barao's failure

Maxwell44

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
Three quick rough reasons that were the primary causes of Barao's failure last night

1. Dillashaw stayed outside at kickboxing range
Unlike the majority of Barao's opponents Dillashaw stayed all the way out at kickboxing range and hopped in an out of range to deliver quick shots with his hands. This frustrated Barao as he couldn't establish the jab like he normally does against stationary opponents who opt to stay in boxing range against him. Coincidentally the major mistake Faber made against Barao was staying right inside boxing range and allowing Barao to freely establish the jab. Against Dillashaw Barao attempted round kicks without any set ups due to this different range. Roundkicks are proper for that range however leading round kicks do not land as quickly as straight strikes and are a little easier to see coming. Dillashaw's footwork allowed him to avoid them simply by shuffling back a step. What Barao needed to do was use straight kicks and stepping jabs as his lead strikes as those are a little bit faster and would've landed. Pederneiras warned him of this but Barao paid him no mind.

2. Dillashaw switched southpaw to land power kicks and straight lefts
Outside of the fluke overhand Dillashaw landed in the first the first and with the exception of the occasional uppercut the majority of Dillashaw's landed power strikes were straight lefts, left high kicks, and speed right hooks. The southpaw stance provides a different guard and different pace of stand up fight that allows power strikes to be more easily landed and lessens the value of the jab. The majority of strikes Dillashaw landed were power strikes off his left side while taking the outside angle against Barao. Barao was taken by surprise and was unable to adapt to the sporadic southpaw striking demonstrated by Dillashaw.

3. Barao ignored his corner's advice
Pederneiras advised Barao multiple times to stick to straight punches and straight kicks. This advice was given because Dillashaw was constantly on the outside in kickboxing range as opposed to the more common boxing range. Early in round 2 Barao tentatively threw a few push kicks and had the most success he had all fight. Unfortunately for reasons unknown he completely stopped throwing straight kicks and instead started throwing round kicks. While round kicks are nice they are easy to counter off of and do not land often without being set up with straight strikes. Dillashaw abused this and landed good counters off of failed kicks.

I would provide gifs to illustrate these points but I have no idea where to find them.

In other words,

1. TJ was better
2. TJ was better
3. TJ was better

In other words,

1. TJ was better
2. TJ was better
3. TJ was better

Sure I guess. But if Barao would've changed a few basic things he would've been embarassing TJ all night.

Leading with straight kicks and stepping jabs when Dillashaw was at kickboxing range and leading with a straight right when Dillashaw turned southpaw would've completely changed the fight.

If he'd stop pulling his hands away from his face he wouldn't have gotten hit with the big overhand in round one either.

These were super basic mistakes.

Reasons:
1.) Rounds one and two.
2.) Rounds three and four.
3.) Round five.

Honestly thought, that reads like a pretty fair analysis of what transpired.

Sure I guess. But if Barao would've changed a few basic things he would've been embarassing TJ all night.

Had he changed those things, is it possible that Dillashaw himself would have changed up his attack? Or in this exercise is only Barao allowed to retroactively changed how he actually fought?

I never saw Barao that way... The guy looked horrible compared to his last fights.

not his best night for sure... Also TJ looked way faster in the last round than in the first. that`s impressive for a guy that never fought 5 rounds.

Reasons:
1.) Rounds one and two.
2.) Rounds three and four.
3.) Round five.

Honestly thought, that reads like a pretty fair analysis of what transpired.

Haha thanks, and of course TJ was dominant all five rounds but it was a series of failures on Barao's part that allowed this dominance as opposed to some godlike performance by TJ.

1. TJ was better
2. Barao was less good
3. Of the two fighters on display, TJ had the superior skills

Sorry the last one was so long

Had he changed those things, is it possible that Dillashaw himself would have changed up his attack? Or in this exercise is only Barao allowed to retroactively changed how he actually fought?

You can't change the way you fight to beat technical striking. You're exposing your ignorance again Inga.

Lol at fluke overhand that dillashaw landed

Clown. See if people land telegraphed overhands like that against technically proficient strikers.

TJ didn't land that overhand again for the rest of the fight AND the only reason he landed it was because Barao's hands were terribly out of position.

Haha thanks, and of course TJ was dominant all five rounds but it was a series of failures on Barao's part that allowed this dominance as opposed to some godlike performance by TJ.

Every fight is won because someone made a mistake.

Every fight is won because someone made a mistake.

A series of simple, correctable, fundamental mistakes that his coaches were yelling at him to fix from the very beginning.

Three quick rough reasons that were the primary causes of Barao's failure last night

1. Dillashaw stayed outside at kickboxing range
Unlike the majority of Barao's opponents Dillashaw stayed all the way out at kickboxing range and hopped in an out of range to deliver quick shots with his hands. This frustrated Barao as he couldn't establish the jab like he normally does against stationary opponents who opt to stay in boxing range against him. Coincidentally the major mistake Faber made against Barao was staying right inside boxing range and allowing Barao to freely establish the jab. Against Dillashaw Barao attempted round kicks without any set ups due to this different range. Roundkicks are proper for that range however leading round kicks do not land as quickly as straight strikes and are a little easier to see coming. Dillashaw's footwork allowed him to avoid them simply by shuffling back a step. What Barao needed to do was use straight kicks and stepping jabs as his lead strikes as those are a little bit faster and would've landed. Pederneiras warned him of this but Barao paid him no mind.

2. Dillashaw switched southpaw to land power kicks and straight lefts
Outside of the fluke overhand Dillashaw landed in the first the first and with the exception of the occasional uppercut the majority of Dillashaw's landed power strikes were straight lefts, left high kicks, and speed right hooks. The southpaw stance provides a different guard and different pace of stand up fight that allows power strikes to be more easily landed and lessens the value of the jab. The majority of strikes Dillashaw landed were power strikes off his left side while taking the outside angle against Barao. Barao was taken by surprise and was unable to adapt to the sporadic southpaw striking demonstrated by Dillashaw.

3. Barao ignored his corner's advice
Pederneiras advised Barao multiple times to stick to straight punches and straight kicks. This advice was given because Dillashaw was constantly on the outside in kickboxing range as opposed to the more common boxing range. Early in round 2 Barao tentatively threw a few push kicks and had the most success he had all fight. Unfortunately for reasons unknown he completely stopped throwing straight kicks and instead started throwing round kicks. While round kicks are nice they are easy to counter off of and do not land often without being set up with straight strikes. Dillashaw abused this and landed good counters off of failed kicks.

I would provide gifs to illustrate these points but I have no idea where to find them.

Good Job Ts i agree with you!But the main thing i wondering about it how Barao with all the tools was unable to change his gameplan and change the fight!

Barao was unrecognizeable and TJ had one of the best performances I've seen in the octagon

So you're saying

IF Barao had utilized perfect technique consistently while executing a sound gameplan, then he probably would have won?

Have you ever considered coaching?

Good Job Ts i agree with you!But the main thing i wondering about it how Barao with all the tools was unable to change his gameplan and change the fight!

Yeah! That was the bizarre part. Barao almost never makes these kinds of mistakes and the whole night he was unable to change his gameplan. Definitely one of the weirdest performances in recent history.

So you're saying

IF Barao had utilized perfect technique consistently while executing a sound gameplan, then he probably would have won?

Have you ever considered coaching?

If Barao would have utilized the tools in his toolbox that compose fundamental kickboxing he would have won easily. Additionally, he did not even have to develop or notice this himself as his coaches told him these things every time he returned to his corner but he ignored them.

Back