Three fighters getting UFC title shots are coming off losses.

It just goes to show its more than the fight, its the performance of the fight, the personality of the fighter and what both fighters want.

90% of sherdog said DIAZ got cheated and beat Condit. Every since Bendo beat Nate the tide has changed. lol

I am NOT angry about it.....but Dana & company are NOT using much common sense....It doesn't take fans, old or new, long to figure out that in the UFC, a record doesn't mean that much...Bellator has a fair system of deciding who fights for a belt....UFC does NOT!..I think.... & other fans that I know think.... that the UFC loses credibility by passing over #1 contenders & going to less successful fighters for title matches....an organization IMO should choose the most successful fighter NOT the most popular, or one of their brown nosers/company men.....

How are Hendo/Gus/Machida not legit contenders. And giving Chael a title shot would be like if they gave Rashad a Heaveweight title shot.

Hendo got hurt, plus fucked the UFC over and was one of the main reasons the UFC had to cancel an event.

Gus hadn't had a single top 10 win yet. Yes he was more deserving that Chael, but it's not like he had solidified himself as a deserving contender yet as opposed to someone like Hendricks. In a situation where it's between a huge PPV draw or some guy who doesn't even have a single top 10 win yet, I can understand the huge PPV draw.

Dana can never ever talk about someone not deserving of a shitle tot. Shitle tots have no value anymore. Before someone would have to beat 3 or 4 top 10 fighters, now a days as long as you have load mouth it's a lot more valuable and worth of a shitle tot than than beating top fighters. The ufc is looking a lot like WWE. Thanks Dana.

Dana can never ever talk about someone not deserving of a shitle tot. Shitle tots have no value anymore. Before someone would have to beat 3 or 4 top 10 fighters, now a days as long as you have load mouth it's a lot more valuable and worth of a shitle tot than than beating top fighters. The ufc is looking a lot like WWE. Thanks Dana.

Don't completely agree with you......but there is a LOT of truth in what U say!

Because people like to complain.

It's true that the UFC has to maintain a certain amount of legitimacy. It needs to do that to be taken seriously.

But at the same time they are in the business of putting on fights that people want to see.

Give me goods fights that is all. Are some guys more deserving? Yeah but do we really want to see some of those fights? The only one that is a complete joke is Sonnen getting a shot at lhw

Because people like to complain.

It's true that the UFC has to maintain a certain amount of legitimacy. It needs to do that to be taken seriously.

But at the same time they are in the business of putting on fights that people want to see.

Lol ok Mr White. Giving fighters shitle tots after loses means that the word "contender" means nothing now. It would have been better for Hendricks to sit back on his couch, instead of beating 3 top 10/top 5 fighters, and talk about GSPs mother. WWE is looking more legitimate than the UFC right now.

I think Edgars' matchup is justified because he's dropping weight and he was previous LW champ and gave Henderson a helluva fight.. Nick Diaz I think he should have fought one more time before he got his title shot. And I don't understand Chael getting the shot over Gustaffson, Machida or Dan Henderson...

my thoughts exactly, Edgars coming of two losses, but even as a bendo nuthugger i thought edgar won that last fight

Lol ok Mr White. Giving fighters shitle tots after loses means that the word "contender" means nothing now. It would have been better for Hendricks to sit back on his couch, instead of beating 3 top 10/top 5 fighters, and talk about GSPs mother. WWE is looking more legitimate than the UFC right now.

Listen, I never said I liked it. If you look at my posting history you won't find a Diaz fan here. In fact I think Nick needs to keep his word and stay retired. I also don't disagree that Hendricks has the strongest claim to a titleshot right now.

But I think more people will pay to see Diaz fight GSP than pay for Hendricks. Thats the money fight right now. You strike when the iron is hot.

To the Cain basher I do believe he deserves it. One loss to the champ followed by dominating a man who beat Fedor. What's a guy got to do to please some people? No really, to all the Cain haters what would impress you?

A hard road to the title like Dos Santos

Edgar who's lost 2 in a row, Sonnen and Diaz. I realize I'm stating the obvious but here's the the thing. I don't care! I want entertaining fights and these upcoming matches should deliver. Why so much anger around these parts regarding these fights? #lightenup.

99% of shertards are excited as well

Edgar who's lost 2 in a row, Sonnen and Diaz. I realize I'm stating the obvious but here's the the thing. I don't care! I want entertaining fights and these upcoming matches should deliver. Why so much anger around these parts regarding these fights? #lightenup.

because entertainment for mma, with regards to it's long term viability, is intimately tied to the notion of sport - and the legitimacy of any sport hangs on the legitimacy of its title holders, in both the process by which they become champions and the manner in which those titles are defended (if title defenses are warranted) -

obviously spectacle is always a part of sport but it should never be the dominant or defining dynamic - for example, professional wrestling is far more spectacle than sport and as such isn't really viewed as a sport but classified, rightly, as "sports entertainment"

fights like gsp/diaz and jones/sonnen lean way too far into the realm of pure spectacle and do damage to the legitimacy of their respective titles and therefore the sport those titles represent

when pride started to lose it's foothold the powers that be adopted a strategy of more and more spectacle bouts to bolster viewership - it worked in the short term but few would argue that it didn't do significant damage to the product in the long term and help lead to it's demise - spectacle, after all, is only a short-term distraction that implies and reinforces the notion of frivolity

zuffa would be well advised to learn from that history and have more faith in the athletic prowess of it's product

I was with you until you used the hashtag

Now i'm in an outrage over all these title shots.

Agree with 99silva. Bendo was lucky to get the wins over Edgar and he dominated Penn, wow that's happened a lot recently but I digress, Diaz lost to Condit of which I have no doubt, (not a Diaz hater but I didn't consider it controversial at all) an Sonnen always brings it but really?

It seems that everyone forgets that Sonnen was the third fighter that was asked to fight Jones. Machida and Hendo both turned the fight down not to mention the other fighters who deserves the shot were tied up with fights. So Sonnen stepped up yet everyone still bashes it.

It seems that everyone forgets that Sonnen was the third fighter that was asked to fight Jones. Machida and Hendo both turned the fight down not to mention the other fighters who deserves the shot were tied up with fights. So Sonnen stepped up yet everyone still bashes it.

- he stepped up when there was no one else on extremely short notice - mainly because he had nothing to lose - the other fighters on that list are legitimate contenders and it only makes sense that as such they'd want to fight jones at their best with a full camp and nothing left on the table

regardless, that circumstance is irrelevant to the current situation - the fight with jones is a TV season away - any legit contender would have gladly taken that fight with all that time to prepare, TUF aside

to pretend that this is anything other than a ratings grab is nothing more than a bad joke

Back