thoughts on yoga ddp yoga?

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by tekkenfan, Sep 4, 2018.

1. tekkenfan

tekkenfan Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

curious what most guys think about yoga as far as recovery or strength if its worth it for someone who does mma wants to compete

2. lts5025

lts5025 "What the **** is a Dim Mack?"

You won't build a ton of strength with yoga, but it's fantastic for flexibility, rehab/pre-hab and recovery.

3. corpse

corpse Terry Cloth Belt

i mainly work with old people and this is so true with the older folks. the difference in performance while exercising, movement through space and even social interaction or cognitive challenges are huge.

4. ThunderL1ps

ThunderL1ps Red Belt

I've done some DDP Yoga workouts a few years ago. It's a bit more than yoga with some calisthenics and other things mixed in. It can't hurt to mix in other kinds of workouts on occasion. Josh Barnett did i before and found it challenging in a video I came across on different types of athletes who have used it.

5. Lord Commander Palis

Lord Commander Palis Superior Genetics Double Yellow Card

Yoga is a must. I've gotten stronger from it because of the flexibility, aid in recovery and preventative maintenance for the body.

6. Sano

Sano Red Belt

The only thing I dislike about yoga as a concept, or any "movement" system, is that extreme feats of flexibility and strength are often used as a measuring stick for beginners. That can be very counter productive, and most of the time modifications to movements are key to insure the best results for everyone. Another thing I do not care for is the mysticism of it all. There's nothing mystical or magical about it.

Yoga is, in its essence, various forms of movement and mobility systems mixed in with breathing, control and mental focus. That is excellent for anyone, including athletes. I'd pick a short and simple yoga routine and do it as a warmup a few times a week to begin with. Play around with a few of the movements and see which modifications feels best for you. Later you can expand on it if you want to.

RyanR, corpse, MMA Maine-iac and 2 others like this.
  7. Which Doctor

Which Doctor The ATT Heel Stable/Faction Belt

#mybusiness w/ Heenan, Bockwinkle, & Covington
    He's going through this rebranding thing because he figured everbody would think of calisthenics and the other shit @ThunderL1ps said when they heard the DDP part, but instead everyone focused on the Yoga and he's tired of saying it's not exactly classical yoga. The pitfalls of branding towards trends, I guess. It's decent shit to stay limber and loose and energized on a day where you aren't doing something more rigorous. It's got different routines w/ different ares of focus so you can throw in whatever specialized program you want.

It's okay shit, not crazy tough by any means, and helps prevent "rust". Think P90X w/out steroids and more movement/mobilty centric - it's made for broken down bodies. Pretty much what it claims to be, just maybe not so much the yoga part (they do some moves and do stretching but it's not really yoga unless you're smelling coffee, granola, and bean farts through lulu's. Your own don't count!)

8. tekkenfan

tekkenfan Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

reason i ask is cause tons of wrestlers have said it saved there career like chris jerico ect so figured it would really help the stress of hard training mma training kicks your ass and something that can help my body stay loose and healthy would be great

9. Alech33

Alech33 Yellow Belt

I've heard a lot of great things about yoga for training. If this is the app good luck staying disciplined enough to be consistent. I've tryed a few online ones before and in my experience it's really hard to be consistent with an at home program. Doesn't hurt to try but if you like it and see the benefits you're probably better off going to an actual studio

10. Krixes

Krixes Red Belt

Yoga has done wonders for my flexibility and recovery. I'm that weird dude who stretches all the time though, you'll pass me in the mall and I'll look like I'm getting ready for sort of athletic competition.

Left Hook Lacy likes this.
  11. corpse

corpse Terry Cloth Belt

you are absolutely right. there is nothing special about it. i preach simple stretching and joint mobility for years in my gym but nobody listens. tell them it's "yoga" and everybody jumps on the wagon. in the end i don't care as long as the people move their ass up from the couch. if you meet a good teacher then there is no problem with extreme feats for beginners. they can't even touch their toes to begin with. i just noticed that cool and happy older people do yoga or that yoga produces cool and happy older people, haha. i don't know the exact causation...

Sano likes this.
  12. GearSolidMetal

GearSolidMetal I'm here to chew bubblegum and bang your mom. Platinum Member

I'm thinking of getting this for my dad, who's getting his 2nd back surgery later this month, as a way to aid his recovery after a few weeks.

13. miaou

miaou barely keeping it together

"DDP yoga" sounds pretty kinky, though.

14. MMA Maine-iac

MMA Maine-iac Black Belt

Would be even kinkier if it was DAP yoga.

15. rearnakedchoke

rearnakedchoke Suck it!

Ive been doing yoga for years. Love it. Great to stretch out etc.

16. M3t4tr0n

M3t4tr0n Sheriff of Sherfront

Do you do it after drinking your latte, soyboy? ;)

17. Lord Commander Palis

Lord Commander Palis Superior Genetics Double Yellow Card

I do it after lifting and sometimes before. Anything to add to the topic at hand or just obsessed with me?

18. auger38

auger38 Will pay to check your oil

I think he just wants to see your downward dog, dog.

I did yoga last year a few times a week for a month and a half, and I felt fantastic. Looking to get back to it.

Lord Commander Palis likes this.