Thoughts on UK shootboxing training?

JRD054

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
(By shootboxing I mean as training, not the sport version they do in Japan)
This is pretty big/common on the british MMA scene as there are many classes in MMA gyms here and just a big emphasis. I don't think/know if it is a staple elsewhere, hence the title. Anyone know if it is at all common elsewhere?
For those who don't know its basically pure striking and wrestling. It usually combines elements of boxing and Muay Thai for the stand up and Wrestling and Judo for the takedowns. Typically there is an emphasis on striking and shooting from the outside and chaining takedowns into clinch trips if the first shot doesn't get them down. As far as i've seen various single legs and kneetaps, sweeps, trips and bodylocks are the most common takedowns and 5-10 seconds of top control/scrambling with GNP is allowed after a takedown. Classes are either done as just boxing with takedowns or full striking with takedowns. I've seen these classes a bunch on the British MMA scene at British MMA gyms and the like. I train in this regularly and have been doiong so for years. I think it really helps with slick wrestling and striking and chaining the two together. IMO it really helps to set up takedowns with striking and striking with takedowns, helping yu to mix them up really well.
What are your thoughts on this as a training method? Thanks.

It's probably better to train MT and Judo. You will find better sparring in MT & Judo gyms as they are more popular. And those styles are not that hard to merge together.

I love it. Never trained it formally but I naturally merge my judo in the MT clinch.

Back