Thoughts on this trick I found?

Freddy Fisticuffs

Pugilist
@Blue
Reaction score
So i was doing some MMA sparring today, and I was throwing low kicks at that chunky wrestler, and of course i was getting caught. But I really like low kicks so i tried to find ways to land them safely. I found a lot of success with this trick: Assuming we are both in orthodox, I would throw a cross at his left hand to kind of "pin" it, as i hit it or right after i would throw the right low kick. It connected cleanly and felt good, and since his left hand is occupied by my right he didn't seem able to catch it. What do you guys think of this? dumb? smart?

So i was doing some MMA sparring today, and I was throwing low kicks at that chunky wrestler, and of course i was getting caught. But I really like low kicks so i tried to find ways to land them safely. I found a lot of success with this trick: Assuming we are both in orthodox, I would throw a cross at his left hand to kind of "pin" it, as i hit it or right after i would throw the right low kick. It connected cleanly and felt good, and since his left hand is occupied by my right he didn't seem able to catch it. What do you guys think of this? dumb? smart?
this is a great idea. Start looking at other attacks off of the same “pin” set up and also start to practice feinting the low kick after you pin his glove and then throwing something else entirely.

then start feinting the right hand and throwing something else again

this is a great idea. Start looking at other attacks off of the same “pin” set up and also start to practice feinting the low kick after you pin his glove and then throwing something else entirely.

then start feinting the right hand and throwing something else again

Sounds good! I think can build a lot off of this pin.

Cross into right kick is one of my favorite things to do. Especially a quick 1-2 into headkick/body kick. I will throw that once I see them start trying to slip outside the cross or if they have a tendency to circle that away. The kick comes basically as the cross gets to their face and so if they were already deciding on slipping or moving that way they can’t avoid the right kick

I believe you can do the same with that pinning you’re doing with their left hand

Cross into right kick is one of my favorite things to do. Especially a quick 1-2 into headkick/body kick. I will throw that once I see them start trying to slip outside the cross or if they have a tendency to circle that away. The kick comes basically as the cross gets to their face and so if they were already deciding on slipping or moving that way they can’t avoid the right kick

I believe you can do the same with that pinning you’re doing with their left hand

Sound like a good strat!

He's catching your kicks when you're throwing leg kicks? That means he's "reaching " so he's open for a head kick.

Fake low go high or try the question mark kick.

He'll stop reaching after a few of those, then you can kick him in the leg again

Sounds to me like you're just getting smarter about your striking, well done!

He's catching your kicks when you're throwing leg kicks? That means he's "reaching " so he's open for a head kick.

He'll stop reaching after a few of those, then you can kick him in the leg again

Ill keep this in mind! Thanks

You can also half-step the kick, it's good for feints, you spam the low to medium right kick and then half-step or feint the low right kick and throw a right straight, mechanics are like the superman punch.

Combining punches with kicks depends on your rhythm or the beats
for regular beats you combine the left kicks with the right punch e.t.c. you use glutes and lats to gain momentum and step into the next strike, you should go left hand-right leg or right hand-left leg or an X pattern.
for half beats you use the momentum of one strike and transfer it to the next strike, you start the next strike half-way of the first strike e.x. throw the right punch and throw the low right kick midways of the right punch

these are the basics if you extend this method you can create 3/2 beats e.t.c. with combos
Regular strikes have pauses between them, the pauses are also beats, a regular right punch right kick has a pausing beat between each strike it can be 1 or 1/2.

Last edited:

I'd actually recommend watching some of Ramon Dekkers, he did something similar quite a lot. He'd almost pull you into his low kick.

This should be a good start

You can also half-step the kick, it's good for feints, you spam the low to medium right kick and then half-step or feint the low right kick and throw a right straight, mechanics are like the superman punch.

Combining punches with kicks depends on your rhythm or the beats
for regular beats you combine the left kicks with the right punch e.t.c. you use glutes and lats to gain momentum and step into the next strike, you should go left hand-right leg or right hand-left leg or an X pattern.
for half beats you use the momentum of one strike and transfer it to the next strike, you start the next strike half-way of the first strike e.x. throw the right punch and throw the low right kick midways of the right punch

these are the basics if you extend this method you can create 3/2 beats e.t.c. with combos
Regular strikes have pauses between them, the pauses are also beats, a regular right punch right kick has a pausing beat between each strike it can be 1 or 1/2.

Makes sense, thanks!

To expand on this, doing the Thai Hop is a good way to make someone react, if you throw a leg kick and he goes to catch it, bump a thai hop and he'll probably reach and you can hit him with a punch on the side he left open

To expand on this, doing the Thai Hop is a good way to make someone react, if you throw a leg kick and he goes to catch it, bump a thai hop and he'll probably reach and you can hit him with a punch on the side he left open

Thanks! ill give this a try.

same here, love the 1-2, right kick. If anyone questions how effective this can be just watch Whittaker’s last fight

Last edited:
I know that move and that tactic.

You need to know that in MMA you have 3 main options to avoid being caught when low kicking the lead leg, in my opinion :

1-Setup the low kick with combination. (at leats 2/3 punch)
2-Make sure you keep the lead hand high of your opponent, the higher is the lead hand, the harder he is going to be able to caught you. The rear punch into a low kick is a good example.
3-Don't trow a muay-thai low kick, trow a sanda low kick instead What is the difference ? Muay-thai are more power than speed, since there is more catch in sanda, (like mma), sanda low kick are extremely fast but less powerful and harder to catch.

Keep training.

I know that move and that tactic.

You need to know that in MMA you have 3 main options to avoid being caught when low kicking the lead leg, in my opinion :

1-Setup the low kick with combination. (at leats 2/3 punch)
2-Make sure you keep the lead hand high of your opponent, the higher is the lead hand, the harder he is going to be able to caught you. The rear punch into a low kick is a good example.
3-Don't trow a muay-thai low kick, trow a sanda low kick instead What is the difference ? Muay-thai are more power than speed, since there is more catch in sanda, (like mma), sanda low kick are extremely fast but less powerful and harder to catch.

Keep training.

Thanks that all makes sense!

Back