1. We now have a new forum called Fantasy Matchup Discussion. Access it here

Thoughts on this routine?

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by zere0wn, Aug 1, 2010.

1. zere0wn

zere0wn Green Belt

So thinking about getting this routine going to deal with strength and conditioning and the randomness of my sport which is surfing (never know when there will be waves).

I wanted to do something like warmup-a strength lift-conditioning

I have Ross Enamaits Infinite Intensity so I was going to pick a bunch of circuits out of there for conditioning. Maybe pick 6 circuits and when I get done lifting roll a dice to see which one I do to add some fun to it. When there is waves and I surf I would skip whatever I was to do that day. I would do Asses & Correct and Foam Rolling 3 times each per week whenever I had time. Maybe throw in some yoga. Something like this:

Monday - Turkish Getup 3x5 then a Circuit
    Tuesday - Front Squat 5x3 then a Circuit
    Wednesday - Press 3x5, 2 sets max rep chins, then a circuit
    Thursday - Bench Press 3x5 then a circuit
    Friday - Deadlift then a Circuit
    Saturday - Inverted Rows, Dumbell Rows, 2 sets of max rep chinups then a circuit
    Sunday - Rest

Thoughts on combining strength and conditioning same day? I kinda don't like doing 3 or 4 lifts on one day.

2. BaliShagSmoke

BaliShagSmoke Orange Belt

I like it.

Only thing I would do different is spread out the Press and Bench a little further apart.

3. zere0wn

zere0wn Green Belt

Yea I meant to ask about the order of the lifts or if its a good choice of lifts.

Also, its entirely possible (although not likely) that 3 Tuesdays in a row could be waves and I wouldn't squat for 3 weeks. Not sure what to do about that.

4. zere0wn

zere0wn Green Belt

Arg. Also meant to ask if I did this would it be best to do some kind of linear periodization (I'm still a weak beginner) and go up 5lbs every week or see what I can do each week or ??

5. thechief

thechief Blue Belt

looks good to me. surfing is the biz my workouts get structured around it completely aswell.

6. zere0wn

zere0wn Green Belt

What does yours look like

7. Tosa

Tosa Red Belt

Other lifters here have done one lift a day routines, including at one point KW, so they do work. You may have to play with and adjust the volume of each day. For example, if I was squatting once a week, with no assistance lifts or other squat variants in my routine, I'd need a lot more volume than 5x3. This might be different for you, but it's something to keep in mind.

Another thing to consider is whether you want to do circuits everyday. At the very least, I think it would be good to make the circuits sufficiently different, I.e. one could be a combination of running, BW exercises, one could be a barbell complex, another could be a medley of strongman type exercises etc. With regards to rolling a dice, I'm not a fan of randomization, but if you like it...at the very least, I'd have it so you don't do the same conditioning workout twice in one week. So if you've already done #3 that week, and 3 comes up, reroll.

Then don't do it where you do a lift on a particular day, but rather do them in a particular order and then repeat, paying no attention to the days of the week. The advantage to this approach is that it's more flexible, and it doesn't matter as much if surfing or life gets in the way.

As for the order, something like:

1. Deadlift
    2. Press
    3. Turkish get-up
    4. DB rows, inverted rows
    5. Bench
    6. Front squat

If linear progression (I know it's sometimes called linear periodization, but it's not really periodized) works for you, then keep doing it. By being moderate with your progressions, you can make more gains in the long run. With lifts like presses even smaller progressions might be good.

8. zere0wn

zere0wn Green Belt

Any way to tell without tinkering if I would need more volume or not. I am an ectomorph and don't appear to be prone to strength gains (unless I'm eating tons) Does this indicate I would need more volume?

I was thinking about making a couple of the rolls some kind of light recovery activity such as an aerobic run, or skateboarding. Then I know ross has "warrior challenge" workouts as well as GPP workouts. I would probably pick 2 from each of the above 3 categories: recovery, warrior challenge, and GPP. Then Roll.

That makes a lot more sense.

I made good progress with the linear when I was lifting consistently doing starting strength last spring. Just questioning whether lifting frequently enough to make the same type of progress.

Thanks a ton.

9. Tosa

Tosa Red Belt

Apart from personal experience, not really. I'd say start with 6 work sets for each lift, possibly excepting deadlifts. Then include 1-3 high rep back off sets, and adjust from there.

Sounds good.

Well, you're not going to make the same type of progress, because you've been lifting for over a year. But one lift a day is solid, it may turn out not to be for you, but there's no way to determine that without trying it. Also, don't hesitate to tweak and adjust your routine as needed.

10. zere0wn

zere0wn Green Belt

Thanks again, will increase volume.

11. zere0wn

zere0wn Green Belt

Here's a question:

How to incorporate rest days? Say I have 5 days of surfing mixed in with the 6 days of lifting. Thats 11 days with no rest before I get to the scheduled day 7 rest day. Should I rest every x number of days automatically?