Television Thoughts on the new "The Wonder Years" TV series?

Are you for or against it?

• Total voters
Not really a reboot but the same way of telling a story from a different perspective, right? Don Cheadles voice can carry it if all else fails.
Pretty much this.

I'm willing to be it'll be less the show through a black kid's point of view growing up in the 60s, and more the 2021 point of view of a black kid growing up in the 60s. Most of the writers on the original Wonder Years were actually 60s kids, while the writers on this are probably 90s kids and millennials. And let's be honest, authenticity isn't exactly networks' game these days, they're mostly into current political trends, and reboots of other old shows have been pretty crap.

Don Cheadle is a good choice for narrator, I just wouldn't have much hope for network writers.

Much as I hate to say it you're are probably right about this new generation of writers. There is no way you cannot bring up the racial and political themes that went on in the 60s. My hope is that they handle these themes in an authentic way and try not to get too preachy

One of the great things about Cobra Kai was how they balanced the old school humor from the 80s into present day culture and I give the writers of the show major credit for that.

oh look! another show about racism! yay......

If they just called it something else or had a secondary title like The Wonder Years: [the new family's name], I think that would nix most of the criticism. People just hate re-boots and remakes as they have been done to the point of exhaustion and hate the gimmick of ethnic/"racial" changes as that has also been done to death and just seems like a really shallow gimmick for publicity 99% of the time.
I mean something similar (but more comedically oriented) has been done like Everybody Hates Chris, so it's not the base concept that bothers people.

Won’t be watching but the fact that the main kid/narrator is going to be in his 70s makes it seem kinda odd.

I don't understand why it's still in the 60s. It should be based in the early 00s.

Much as I hate to say it you're are probably right about this new generation of writers. There is no way you cannot bring up the racial and political themes that went on in the 60s. My hope is that they handle these themes in an authentic way and try not to get too preachy

One of the great things about Cobra Kai was how they balanced the old school humor from the 80s into present day culture and I give the writers of the show major credit for that.
I genuinely don't know anymore. I get called a white supremacist in the WR at least twice/week, and literally don't have a single other white American who aren't my sisters on my phone.

Yes, Cobra Kai was genuinely a masterpiece that made even the corny jokes work.

Love love love that they used an African American cast. I have not seen it yet, but I expect to be fully invested

I was a fan of the original Wonder Years. Not a fan of all these reboots but it will be interesting to see the show through a black kid's point of view growing up in the 60s.

Having Fred Savage on board as a writer/producer/director is a good thing. Hope some of the original cast can make a few cameos throughout the season/s.

Good job keeping the original theme song too. If it ain't broke...

It will certainly be a different look through a black family's perspective but can Fred Savage really give that perspective? I wonder who the writers are as I would think the experience would be different in different parts of the country.

As has been said, the show took many of us back to our childhood in the 60s as well as those who were our parents. Our parents are mostly gone now and I just feel sad looking back at those times when I saw so much promise in the future and have seen how it all turned out.

When the original came out, it was in 1988 or so… The series took place from 1969(Noice) to early 70s… so it was only a 20 year difference. People could relate. This is now 50 years now… 50! But if they did go back and do a 20-25 years, we are only talking about the early 2000s, lol.

So, I’ve watched a few episodes(6 or 7). It isn’t bad. But it lacks the magic the original series had.

This new dad seemed too nice and funny.

Dan Lauria was always so dour and grief stricken.

War Norcom

He should have had a monumental career after that show. Lauria was a TV Dad with gravitas...all while delivering comedy when necessary. He really was a guy just doing his best to manage responsibilities and bad memories in a world that was changing and leaving him behind and all of that came across with his limited screen time. He was the bedrock of the show and never got credit for it. Not a single Emmy nomination.

He should have had a monumental career after that show. Lauria was a TV Dad with gravitas...all while delivering comedy when necessary. He really was a guy just doing his best to manage responsibilities and bad memories in a world that was changing and leaving him behind and all of that came across with his limited screen time. He was the bedrock of the show and never got credit for it. Not a single Emmy nomination.

never watched it. i hate remakes especially if the original was good. loved the karate kid trilogy but i won't watch cobra kai or whatever it's called. it's just too corny.

Back