Thoughts on the baby leash?

Oeshon

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
For those that haven't seen them.

3672.jpg

tumblr_lztca2SSyy1rq7gt4o1_500.jpg

I thought it was like a joke/parody thing when I first saw them. I was blown away when I realized it was real. My immediate thought is "I have failed as a parent". It just feels wrong to strap your kid on a leash.

I imagine it sucks twice as hard for the kids. Imagine growing up and being restricted on a leash every time you go somewhere outside your home. It would be hard to even comprehend. Reminds me of my father telling me all the stories of stuff he did as a kid. Basically complete freedom. Then my childhood pre internet / mobile phone time, where kids could run around all around the neighbourhood until the sun went down. Now where are we at? Kids leashed like animals and mobile phones so parents know exactly where they are at all times when not leashed?

Is this how you guys see it?

Do any of you leash your kids?

Would you?

Yeah, the baby leash thing is strange for sure. Not something I would ever do.

I wouldn't do it with my kids and not with average kids but maybe if your kid is really really hyperactive or retarded or something to prevent them from getting hurt or lost.

For twins, I have zero problem with it.

For single kids, it just depends on the kid. Good kids don't need it. Wild asses might need some extra latching to make sure they don't kamikaze out into oncoming traffic.

I can understand in certain situations. It's not a lot different than making a kid hold your hand

I can understand in certain situations. It's not a lot different than making a kid hold your hand

I thought this as well but it surely shows a lack of intimacy and caring on the parents side.

I'd rather give the kid my full attention.. granted easier said than done.

Is this new?

I remember these as a kid in the late 80's early 90's.

I was 1 of 6 kids and my parents had a couple of leashes for us.

I seriously think the use of these has increased massively in the last couple of years. I have seen them in the past but very infrequently. Lately I have seen heaps of parents using them at shopping centers and such. It must absolutely suck for the kids

Imagine walking up to parents say 50 years ago and asking them if they needed a leash to control their kid. They would think you're mental if you told them parents in the future would have their kids on leashes

Then my childhood pre internet / mobile phone time, where kids could run around all around the neighbourhood until the sun went down. Now where are we at? Kids leashed like animals and mobile phones so parents know exactly where they are at all times when not leashed?

Exactly how I see it. I remember when I was at home my parents would harrass me ALL THE TIME wanting to know where I was, who I was with and when I was getting back down to how much battery my phone had left and what clothes I was wearing.

I don't like to curse but it was like a fucking prison. A goddamn fucking prison.

Painful to think about. First world problems I know but I see psychological issues and in this case; psychological torture, as relative to their environment.

I don't know if the world got more dangerous or if media coverage really fucked with women's minds so much that they feel the need to restrain and surveil their kids. My guess is women can be irrational sometimes.

I think it shows a distinct lack of control and is an open admission that you are ruled by your child. If your parenting is so horrendous that you need to tether your child like an animal then you probably shouldn't be allowed to have kids.

I thought this as well but it surely shows a lack of intimacy and caring on the parents side.

I'd rather give the kid my full attention.. granted easier said than done.

Through discipline, love, and consistent training, I can take my dog anywhere without a leash but I always carry one just in case.

My daughters 7 months old, and I'm hoping it all goes the same

Through discipline, love, and consistent training, I can take my dog anywhere without a leash but I always carry one just in case.

My daughters 7 months old, and I'm hoping it all goes the same

Hopefully mate.

Good luck.

I've seen some kids at the mall and around town that need to be fricking leashed

No I would never. I also try to look at parents with a dumb look when I see them leashing their children.

Back