Thoughts on Sambo Leg knot?

very good control + isolation

once you get to that kind of control the end is very near

Would that be considered "reaping the knee" in a BJJ comp? Still don't really understand this rule.

yes it would be considered reaping the knee. Its a great way to isolate the leg and attack it.

I'm still a bit ignorant on certain terminology. What exactly is reaping the knee?

I'm still a bit ignorant on certain terminology. What exactly is reaping the knee?

Basically its when you bring your outside leg like he does in the video over. What happens then is you can twist the knee and essentially tear up the ligaments. The problem is the person doesnt feel it until its too late and they wont be doing jits for 6 months till they recover so they made it illegal in IBJJF comps

reaping the knee is pressure against the outside of the knee. when reilly sets up his knot, notice the top leg crossing over his partner's knee and pushing in on it, kinda folding into a pigeon toed position. this puts the knee in a weak, structurally unstable position and increases the likely hood of damage.

generally, the only way to avoid a ref warning you for reaping is to roll so that the attacked leg is on the bottom. that way your pressure comes from the inside, a position where the knee is happy.

so, even though you can finish the straight footlock from the knot, you'd have to be really careful and have an educated, openminded ref to not shut you down during the attempt. of course, if you're rolling in advanced it doesn't matter - just rip the leg off at the hip and beat the guy into submission with it.

:icon_chee

It's great control and is good for competition that allows reaping of the knee. If you are competing in BJJ then this is just going to get you DQ'd.

When reaping the knee is allowed this is a fantastic method of control. A lot of times I see people whipping into leglocks, trying to catch their opponent by surprise. By using the leg knot position the initiator can systematically cut off his opponent's escape.

I have a guy who is great at this position and when he locks it up I feel like I'm on borrowed time unless I get real lucky.

The dangers on the knee are very overstated. In all my years at events that allow this position, I have never seen an injury from it. Most leg injuries I have seen come from throws and heel hooks. Secondly, when I have seen people hurt in leg locks (twisting type inuries) it has been from improper escapes. Everyone thinks that they are to roll out of leg locks. Stupid idea if someone has hold of you. You roll, your foot stays put and you twist up your own knee. Leg locks, like all subs, are dangerous when people use them ignorantly.

Yeah, I still can't believe reaping the knee is banned even in a no gi environment sometimes or even at blackbelt level comp. I always thought it was because the gi pant leg material got caught up or something, but to hear some people claim you're heelhooking them by reaping them is moronic.

Back