thoughts on robert whittaker

devante

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
Won tuf the smashes is an mma fighter; but the majority of his training has been in tma. I.e. blackbelts in karate and hapkido; he has between 11-13yrs of training between these two arts and is only 21. He did mma because his hapkido school became an mma school...meaning the majority of his skills-strategy-tech come from those two arts.

Thoughts/opinions

Sorry Devante but we're all caught up in Payak-Gate lol.

Didn't know this about him - must have missed the segment of the show when he talks about his background. But I liked him throughout the show and think he's a promising young talent.

Won tuf the smashes is an mma fighter; but the majority of his training has been in tma. I.e. blackbelts in karate and hapkido; he has between 11-13yrs of training between these two arts and is only 21. He did mma because his hapkido school became an mma school...meaning the majority of his skills-strategy-tech come from those two arts.

Thoughts/opinions

Errr, he's been training properly for years.

He's young, so he's got time to develop, but as of now I think his lack of wrestling will be a problem. But he's an entertaining fighter for sure...

He's young, so he's got time to develop, but as of now I think his lack of wrestling will be a problem. But he's an entertaining fighter for sure...

What makes you think he has a lack of wrestling, he's beaten fighters who have very good takedowns.

Was he the hipster friend of Rory?

Errr, he's been training properly for years.

could be, but at 21 almost 13yrs of his training has been strictly tma; an the mma school he trains at was originally a hapkido place, so there is something that would cross over. When i see him fight he has somewhat of a karate stance and approach, obv its blended; but you could see some jimmo/machida in his approach.

Very talented. The best stand up fighter I've seen come out of TUF that I can think of. Fast, hits like a truck, throws from all sorts of angles with good footwork. Needs to develop his all round MMA game but looks to be a very good prospect. Reminds me of a young Vitor Belfort in regard to his fast heavy hands but his kicking game is much better. Has a killer attitude as well which is always good.

Back