thoughts on rob biernackis coaching

tekkenfan

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
some say hes like a mini danaher amazing coach great fundamentals new ideas ect i have his leg lock dvd its pretty good i do like how he structured it much better than john did but idk much about him other than he has his own gym and trained a little bit with eddie cummings on leg locks

He seems to know his stuff but I'm not a big fan of his over-intellectualised way of teaching , also he says "lever" every second word

I always thought he modeled his approach on that of Ryan Hall. Not being a great leg lock guy, I found his set on leg locks very helpful.

He can seemingly go overboard on the conceptualization at times, but I imagine that could be intentional to ensure absolute beginners get the point.

I always thought he modeled his approach on that of Ryan Hall. Not being a great leg lock guy, I found his set on leg locks very helpful.

He can seemingly go overboard on the conceptualization at times, but I imagine that could be intentional to ensure absolute beginners get the point.

Yes, especially his back stuff—I think he mentions it in an interview somewhere that he was influenced quite heavily by Ryan.

He does cover a lot of different material from Ryan, so you can't accuse him of copying.

well least he doesnt ramble too much like johns dvds. i hate them he show s a move 2 times only and stops midway into it to talk lol. i think the best way to teach is to first show the move real speed then break it down. rob has each tec in his leg lock vid in its own video so u can go to everything u want.

john has about 4 t 5 tecs n 2 hours and he tells stories in between teaching. i love johns moves but damn he needs to change this its ok in the gym but not so good for a dvd series

well least he doesnt ramble too much like johns dvds. i hate them he show s a move 2 times only and stops midway into it to talk lol. i think the best way to teach is to first show the move real speed then break it down. rob has each tec in his leg lock vid in its own video so u can go to everything u want.

john has about 4 t 5 tecs n 2 hours and he tells stories in between teaching. i love johns moves but damn he needs to change this its ok in the gym but not so good for a dvd series

I dunno i'd see it the other way around; if you are in the gym in 'meatspace' you're on the clock (and if a student you're paying for the clock) and only have so much time to be training, so it'd be a waste to spend too much time discussing when you could be drilling instead; with a DVD (or book) though where you are free to pause, rewind, fast forward, or jump around as you please at any time you like, lots of extra detail or anecdotes are fine to pack in.

I think he has good understanding and communicates the concepts clearly. I like his stuff.

He coached against me in a competition last year and kept calling out to his athlete that I was "tired" or "getting tired"; I'd yell back "NO I'M NOT" every time.

Last edited:
He coached against me in a competition last year and kept calling out to his athlete that I was "tired" or "getting tired"; I'd yell back "NO I'M NOT" every time.
i did similar in a match before at purple against an ex-training partner being coached by a guy i know well. He kept yelling at him to turn up the intensity, get moving, go harder etc. to the point it was getting annoying so i started shouting back he should relax, take it easy, don't go any harder and so on every time until the guy coaching shut up :)

The ref was a pretty respected black belt, he kept rolling his eyes and trying not to laugh.

Last edited:

But did you win?

lots of extra detail or anecdotes are fine to pack in.
Extra details and strategy is a win in video form. You can always rewatch it and it doesn't waste drilling time. Verbal diarrhea (low detail inane bullshit Danaher style) is of no benefit in either setting.

Last edited:
Old thread but I recently started getting into this dudes stuff and there’s a lot of solid knowledge. The biomechanical vernacular way of explaining whats happening has really clicked with me. Any of you still following him?

Old thread but I recently started getting into this dudes stuff and there’s a lot of solid knowledge. The biomechanical vernacular way of explaining whats happening has really clicked with me. Any of you still following him?
he seems to be partnering with kesting id not pay for anything he put out tho but hes obviously a very good coach

he seems to be partnering with kesting id not pay for anything he put out tho but hes obviously a very good coach
I get where you’re coming from but I think his information dense and conceptualized style of teaching is perfect for the situation we’re in considering more technique oriented instructionals require you to have a partner to drill with.

I get where you’re coming from but I think his information dense and conceptualized style of teaching is perfect for the situation we’re in considering more technique oriented instructionals require you to have a partner to drill with.
Instructionals without actually drilling techniques are almost worthless.

Back