Thoughts on Palhares

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by shadownero, Oct 12, 2013.

1. shadownero

shadownero White Belt

I re-watched the fight between Palhares and Pierce. Personally I don't believe he purposely held the hold longer than was needed and here is why.

When he locked the hold on yes, there was no way he could not have felt pierce tap. However you are taught that you do not let go of the submission until the ref pulls you off. I think that the ref is mostly to blame for the situation.

When he goes to break up the submission Palhares is looking back and up like he is supposed to and I am unsure if he seen the ref circle around. Anyway as the ref goes to break up the hold he shoves his head into Palhares stomach and starts pushing or pulling at his leg while pushing into his chest. Now personally when I am doing Juijitsu if someone is pushing on me when I have a heel hook locked on I assume it is my opponent. I can see a potential situation where Palhares did not realize that it was the ref trying to step in.

It is just a thought, though on the other hand I know Palhares has a habit of doing this kind of thing. I like Palhares so I might just be grasping at straws.

2. Zodiac**

Zodiac** Green Belt

I have not seen a thread on this yet, surprised it took so long. He was suspended for it before and suspended for High testosterone in the UFC. Throw in the fact he has done it BJJ tournaments and seems to be a clear pattern here. His antics are not needed in a sport the is always under the microscope.

3. Knockuout1

Knockuout1 Purple Belt

He is not crazy or retarded or slow like everybody is saying. He responds well in Portuguese. The problem is that he gets in the zone, he is so focused that he forgets. On another thread somebody said he is like a dog with a bone. When the ref jumped in he let go. Rhonda stated that she's gonna break tates arm. Toquinho never said anything like that. The $50,000 loss was enough. Dana overreacting again.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2013
  4. ReadWrite

ReadWrite Red Belt Platinum Member

Bad timing, too. When you got Fox and NY legalization hopes, it's the wrong time to let the sport get or stay dirty.

Pal is perfect for 1995.

5. SuBB

SuBB Green Belt

pierce vigorously tapped and was screaming at paul harris to let go,, seriously TS theres no excuses for it,, for instance look at pettis vs bendo , pettis let go b4 the ref even intervened now thats sportsmanship,, i would have expected pettis to not let go because theyve had a rivalry goin,, neva use to like pettis but seeing how good of a sportsman he is changed my mind about him. As for harris, his is a dogs act.

6. WilbertoSilva

WilbertoSilva Blue Belt

It's definitely not as bad as has been made out. He held on for like a second longer than he should have, and when he realised the ref had jumped in, he released. Massive overreaction, although his past record has obviously played a part in the cut.

7. SuBB

SuBB Green Belt

i dont think you ve watched the fight,, pierce taps hard, and then yells at paulharis,, and it wasnt a second,, atleast 2 seconds. palhares should be charged for what he did,, intentionally causing injury.. he s no good for the sport

8. BORCAT

BORCAT Banned Banned

Yes TS, it's complete BS he got cut.

9. PunchParty

PunchParty Banned Banned

just like i havent used this gif.
    [​IMG]
    if i could be fuct i would just post this in every thread that has repeated history.
    but i call on ze peeps to help.

10. Knockuout1

Knockuout1 Purple Belt

I`m pretty sure he watched the fight bro.

11. Bob Gray

Bob Gray Deadlights Belt

Pierce tapping and yelling is meaningless as to whether or not he should let go. Its when the ref steps in, not a moment before. he can still be blamed for holding too long, but not for anything Pierce does.

12. WilbertoSilva

WilbertoSilva Blue Belt

Charged? Ahaha okay....

13. Spaceball

Spaceball Yellow Belt

I have a hard time believing you've done JJ. Every leg lock I've been in, people let go VERY fast. Faster than anything else...

Exactly! Business is Business

14. Gatts

Gatts Green Belt

I feel for Palhares I do. I don't think he's trying cripple people. But his track history, both in MMA and Grappling of holding on, cranking, and just confusing bullshit. I'm okay with him being let go.

If this whole Palhares thing has thought me anything it's that a thousand people can all watch the same thing and they will all see something different.

15. rac2

rac2 Black Belt

paul harris did hold the sub for longer than he should have. i don't think it was long enough for being cut.

he has a history though, and that changes everything.

16. shadownero

shadownero White Belt

When you get the hold you then start to apply pressure. Maybe they let go quickly if you crank it but if you know you have the hold applying it slowly is the best way to prevent injury. In terms of tapping yes you let go quickly to prevent injury. However in competition if the ref is pushing on me and I am not looking at him I typically would assume it's my opponent trying to push away or create space.