Thoughts on not repping out deadlifts?

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by Eli1015, Aug 15, 2019.

1. deadshot138

deadshot138 Red Belt

The premise is that with deadlifting only your first rep is a true deadlift and the following reps either bounce or have myotatic reflex.

Eli1015 likes this.
  2. cincymma79

cincymma79 Silver Belt

Seems similar to dumbbell rows but a good variation to keep from getting bored. I’ve just been focusing on getting a squeeze but that’s more of a bodybuilding thing.

I have been able to add ring pull ups. Love this variation. Allows for a neutral grip

Last edited: Aug 17, 2019
  3. dannysmith

dannysmith Blue Belt

I love meadows rows.

Regarding not "feeling" rows in the lats and mid back, this is pretty common. Most people heave the weight around for the sake of adding weight.

I love doing heavy rows and heaving weight and think it definitely has some merit but I also think one should add in a CONTROLLED barbell row or other chest supported row to remove as much body english as possible.

I like seal rows myself since i train at home but the chest supported hammer strength row machines are fantastic.

4. Phlog

Phlog Dad Belt

I find my form is worse when I rep DLs, I have to treat each lift as a single setting my back each time.

I can appreciate people advising against it, it's a high risk move if you're going heavy and losing form.

Eli1015 and WARinsertname like this.
  5. RyanR

RyanR Black Belt

Not a fan of high rep DLs, or especially DLs to failure.

6. sleepyguard85

sleepyguard85 Yellow Belt

Sets of 3 working up in weight until hitting your goal for that workout. No 1 rep maxes.

7. Kevin Mai

Kevin Mai White Belt

I definitely don't think you should rep out if that means going to failure or close to failure. If you're going to rep out on DL, make sure it's light weight OR with good form.

Often times, when people dead lift (or squat), they're dead lifting on a poor foundation. A.k.a glute amnesia (not working), weak core or no engagement, pelvic imbalances, short and tight muscles, so on and so forth. The reason your back hurts is because it's taking over and being the prime mover so to say. Your intrinsic stabilizers probably aren't doing enough work.

Check these out:

and

8. National Acrobat

National Acrobat Superstitious Century, Didn't Time Go Slow?

A really nice row variation if your having trouble feeling your lats is a tucked front lever row. You WILL feel your lats and they’re literally impossible to cheat.

wufabufa and dannysmith like this.
  9. Robocok

Robocok Brown Belt

I recently watched a vid where Tom Platz was saying he wasn't a fan of DL and hurt himself before a competition he still won in the early 80s. He prefers hamstring curls, the ones where you lay down. I can't find the vid

10. deadshot138

deadshot138 Red Belt

Eddie Hall advocates not locking out during rep sets of deadlifts. He says the top half is a rack pull and the real work is from the floor to above the knees. As someone whose deadlift dies above the knees, I disagree with him.

11. Ilk

Ilk Green Belt

There are a few problems with the DL.

1. Everyone rushes to increase weight. Straps, belts and etc when the body obviously is not ready for the weight.

2. Not everyone can DL from the floor. I for example can not. My RDL is much better than the conventional DL.

As for repping out. I like a doing RDLs with about 70-80 % and then supper set front squat with stiff deadlift eith dumbbells. It works the hams, lower back, core, quads in a super cool way this combo.

12. NurseKnuckles

NurseKnuckles My Mom's stronger than you belt

Thoughts on Dimel DLs?

13. deadshot138

deadshot138 Red Belt

Aren’t those basically explosive RDLs?

14. pecho26

pecho26 Purple Belt

Maybe you are not bracing properly,or not pushing your knees out engaging glutes,maybe its a stability issue,maybe its a position thing where you back is a tough angle.
    Maybe your lats are not engaged,lifters edge problem.

Personally every one of lifts when DLFting is the same even if i am picking 50 or 150 kg.

15. saffo

saffo White Belt

Max reps i go is 3 deadstops. Beyond that your form suffers unless ofcourse you are training with <70% of your one rep max which means you are training with useless weigth which gets you nowhere.
    To get a higher deadlift for natties you need to be going heavy but not with the mind of doing sets and reps.

16. RS86

RS86 White Belt

Repping on deadlifts is fine provided form is good. Muscular soreness from a hard deadlift session is to be exepcted as is CNS fatigue (it's one of the hardest exercises to recover from - anywhere up to 14 days for a big session). I regularly pull high rep sets during volume phases of training and they in turn help me pull big numbers when it comes to moving singles.

17. Ian Coe

Ian Coe Silver Belt Professional Fighter

I still don't own a belt.
    I am by no means bragging before someone says something. I just have never used one.

Earlier this year I was nearing the point of 5x5 DL @ 440 while weighing 201lbs. I say nearing as I got to 5x5 between 195 kg and 200 kg, with the last attempt to increase the load being 4x4s (all on my training log).

I actually injured myself during my 'back off a bit Ian' phase when I did a 'heavy' hill run session on the Sunday, Monday off and went squatting on the Tuesday and pinged my back during the first warm up set with 60 kg at rep 2.

Sods law.

nicapica and Ocean Grown like this.
  18. WARinsertname

WARinsertname Brown Belt

Cailer Woolam does the exact opposite of what you're suggesting and he makes us all look like fools.

19. dannysmith

dannysmith Blue Belt

Calier woolam is a genetic freak who could do basically anything he wanted in the gym to get strong

20. WARinsertname

WARinsertname Brown Belt

I've been doing rows like he is doing, Ed Coan did it the same way...I'm thinking there might be something to it.

I've only been on it for 3 weeks, but I have a much better lock out at the top than I did beforehand already. So I'm thinking it's not that crazy. As long as he is keeping his core tight and not putting extra strain on the lower back...Adding that extra english to the movement has it's benefits.

Even the other guy who seemed to scoff at Cailer...You could tell by his face that he realized that Woolam is no fool.