Thoughts On My Four Gi's

Ravens13

White Belt
Reaction score
I currently own four Gi's. Below are my opinions of each. I am 5'9" 175
lbs.

HCK Single Weave Size 5. I had to shrink the Gi to fit and the pants were still a little long so I had them tailored. This Gi has some weight to it even though it is a single. The pants are thickest of all my Gi's but are still very comfortable. The collar is stiff and thick. The Gi is simple but very well made and feels like it will hold up for many years.

Hybrid Gi Size A3. I shrank the Gi top in the dryer to fit. The collar is thicker than the HCK and almost as stiff. I really like the jacket. The weave is the thickest of my four Gi's but not too heavy and it seems hard for my opponents to hold on to. The skirt is on the longer side but that really doesn't bother me. As much as I like the top the pants are a big disappointment. The fit is terrible. The crotch is so high that they give you a constant wedgie and you have to wear them very low on your hips. Also the drawstring is extremely difficult to tighten. I like the lightness of the pants and the material in the knee pads. My plan is to replace the pants so I can continue to enjoy the top.

Shoyoroll Batch 6 Size A2. Out of the bag the Gi was huge for an A2. It did shrink down nicely except for the sleeves. They are probably still two inches long. I am definitely going to get them tailored. I hear a lot of people complain about Shoyoroll pants but I love the pants (I have the cotton twill). There are plenty of belt loops and I like the rope drawstring that has a little stretch to it. Style wise this is definitely my favorite Gi. However the Shoyoroll Gi is probably my least favorite to roll in. The collar is thin and very flexible. The Gi top stretches out as it gets sweaty making the long sleeves even more of a problem. It just feels like the Gi is too easy for opponents to hold on to. If Shoyoroll would go to a stiffer collar and fix the sleeves on their Gi's I would buy everyone that came out.

Fushida Mantis Size A2. A cold wash and hang dry and the Gi fits perfectly. This Gi definitely fits me the best out of my four Gi's. The top feels slightly heavier than my HCK even though this is supposed to be there lighter Gi. The weave feels very nice. Its light and soft but somehow it feels difficult to grab. The collar is thick and has a good stiffness to it (not as stiff as the HCK though). The top does seem to absorb a lot of sweat but doesn't get stretchy. The pants are ripstop material. They are light and seem very sturdy. The pants do get a little stiff when they are soaked with sweat. The Fushida seems extremely well made and has a ton of extra stitching. I think the jacket is an ideal weight and this is my favorite Gi right now. I plan on ordering another in a different color soon. My only complaint is the shipping time and cost from Canada...

Thanks for the thoughts. I'd like to see more comparative posts like yours. I have several gis also, just not the same ones as you. I hear only good things about Fushida. I have a Gameness Platinum, Isami, Fuji Kassen, a HCK Competition single, and a Mizuno Ichiban judo gi.

Shoyoroll Batch 6 Size A2. Out of the bag the Gi was huge for an A2. It did shrink down nicely except for the sleeves. They are probably still two inches long. I am definitely going to get them tailored.

if you like it enough to get another in the future try an a1. if the sleeves are still 2" long after shrinking, and the body was big before shrinking, i'll bet an a1 would suit you. just go easy on the shrinking, if at all.

in my experience, gi's that stretch out so much during rolling usually do so when you have to shrink them down a lot in the dryer. some are jsut really stretchy by nature -- esp the ultralites. i had an a2 atama ultralite that was the same way. turns out i should've been in an a1.

thanks for the post!

Back