thoughts on kevin burns submission win over carneiro

devante

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
that had to be the upset of the year based on skills and experience, a grappler of that caliber being cleanly and quickly submitted by a bluebelt and a nobody in mma.

anyone have any opinions on this

Roan Carneiro:
-Trains at one of best camps in the world (ATT)
-Won last years Pan-ams (I think)
-ADCC vet
-Mma vet who has fought some really tough guys (Fitch, Desouza, Clementi)
Carneiro is a legit black belt who (i think) got his black belt under nog.

Kevin Burns:
-Blue belt
-Ufc debut on short notice with a 5-1 record
-Trains under Chris David(who lol?)
-Works full time as a banker ahaha

not tot take anything away from Burns, but carneiro looked tired.

Shocked me. Don't really know what to make of it. At the very least, I'm excited to see Burns ground game against another top fighter, just to see how he does by comparison.

does this mean there is such a thing as a lucky sub; based on tech and skill level, burns shouldn't have got that ..not even close.

when guys ko a better striker all we hear is u can always land a lucky punch, which is nonsense, cus any shot thrown is thrown w/bad intentions an some tech..even if its poor or sloppy.

so is this the grappling version catching a superior opp w/a submission u have no right catching him in

A LOT of BJJ gets thrown out the window once striking is thrown into the mix. I would put a lot of money on an MMA fighter that's a BJJ blue belt with 6 fights and 3 years of MMA experience over a BJJ black belt of 10 years + with 2 years of MMA experience.

The fight I go back thinking about most recently is Huerta over Crane, Crane is one of the most decorated bjj guys to enter the UFC and he couldn't submit Huerta, and not only that but ended up getting beat up pretty bad.

People really don't understand the difference and think it's 1998 where enough BJJ and a little MMA was enough to be a champ.

A LOT of BJJ gets thrown out the window once striking is thrown into the mix. I would put a lot of money on an MMA fighter that's a BJJ blue belt with 6 fights and 3 years of MMA experience over a BJJ black belt of 10 years + with 2 years of MMA experience.

The fight I go back thinking about most recently is Huerta over Crane, Crane is one of the most decorated bjj guys to enter the UFC and he couldn't submit Huerta, and not only that but ended up getting beat up pretty bad.

People really don't understand the difference and think it's 1998 where enough BJJ and a little MMA was enough to be a champ.

the diff is carneiro was landing the strikes, burns was getting his *ss kicked; being out positioned and pounded out, til he regained guard and pulled that triangle out his *ss.

i get ur point, but it would make more since if burns was laying the beating on carneiro to set up the sub; he wasn't he was catching one, an then finished the superior bjj blkblt w/a basic triangke

not just that, but carneiro is the more exp and better mma fighter; so that arguments goes up in smoke too, burns has fought NOONE

CARNEIRO fought fitch desouza and clementi

He just looked tired, or maybe injured. That triangle wasn't on so tight anyway, his shoulder was sticking out.

Although Burns looked to have some nice ground skills, I don't think he'd have won against Carneiro at 100%

I have no idea what happened, I know some people who train under Roan and am giving them a ton of shit for this.

It wasn't even a real slick triangle, it wasn't really set up fast or anything.

Roan must have gassed, forgot he was fighting etc..

Jiu Jitsu in MMA and Sport BJJ are different. Burns obviously has respectable MMA Jiu Jitsu even if he would get his ass handed to him in Sport BJJ by Roan. Except for a few fancy chokes (brabo, anaconda, etc) and the rubber guard the Jiu Jitsu used in MMA are mostly the most basic techniques that an advanced blue belt should have an excellent handle of.

I have no idea what happened, I know some people who train under Roan and am giving them a ton of shit for this.

It wasn't even a real slick triangle, it wasn't really set up fast or anything.

Roan must have gassed, forgot he was fighting etc..

EXACTLY IT WASNT SLICK OR EXP, IT WAS AN OK SETUP AND AVERAGE EXECUTION, AT BEST; AN a world class grappler got caught by a guy who is probably not much better than people in the grappling forum. An he got caught after completely dominating position, striking, etc..

just blows my mind

Maybe Carneiro just choked. (No pun intended.) It happens. Burns was the better guy that night. There is no such thing as a lucky sub - just being good enough to take advantage of an opponent's mistakes.

EXACTLY IT WASNT SLICK OR EXP, IT WAS AN OK SETUP AND AVERAGE EXECUTION, AT BEST; AN a world class grappler got caught by a guy who is probably not much better than people in the grappling forum. An he got caught after completely dominating position, striking, etc..

just blows my mind

It blows your mind because you truly don't understand MMA, don't worry, neither does 99% of the guys that post on Sherdog.

Go train some MMA, have a few amateur, maybe a professional fight and then give us your perspective on this fight. It WILL change.

It blows your mind because you truly don't understand MMA, don't worry, neither does 99% of the guys that post on Sherdog.

Go train some MMA, have a few amateur, maybe a professional fight and then give us your perspective on this fight. It WILL change.

Quoted for emphasis

Didn't Roan get submitted by Fitch, too (a purple under Dave Camarillo)? I remember that fight. Carneiro had a good first round, but then started getting outworked in the 2nd round and looked like he just gave up.

Back