Thoughts On Jones Training During 'Off-Season'

jthatdude

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Jones mentioned that he never trained after fights, but his move to New Mexico now will change that. I believe this is something he should have done a while ago as most fighters train in the areas they live full-time. Jones has gotten this far on limited training, imagine the improvements he could make living and training in the same area full-time.

I think he might be making a mistake. I think part of what makes him great is he's normal for several months and then goes into beast mode.

He'll probably overtrain, overthink things and get injured more. I can understand his mindset that he shouldn't be wasting time and should train all of the time but I think that could be a negative.

We'll definitely know how it's going to work out for him when he faces the winner of Gus/Rumble.

Over-training should be a concern. It's a huge factor in a lot of these MMA injuries.

It could either be very good (even better than he already is) or very bad (more prone to injury), we'll have to wait and see.

Like a few people have said, I'm worried about Jon overtraining and getting injured.

I think this is why some of his performances are underwhelming. He hasn't been able to finish any true LHW since Rampage, and even that took him 4 rounds. The fight against Evans was a snooze fest, so was the Glover fight, he admitted he was not in proper shape for the Gus fight, and I started falling asleep after round three of the DC fight. There is just something more explosive and deadly about guys like Pettis, A. Silva, and the old Jose Aldo. Maybe he can get that by training year round.

Over-training should be a concern. It's a huge factor in a lot of these MMA injuries.

I agree with this im concerned that he may over train. Though from the way he was talking it sounded more like technique building would be his focus.

Back