Thoughts on joining forums to promote your work...?

Discussion in 'Mayberry Lounge' started by [email protected]**, Jan 12, 2013.

1. masato@4nzix**

[email protected]** Black Belt

Hey all

What are your opinions on joining forums to spread/advertise your work?

I am trying to promote my MMA work, I just released a new issue of my comic:

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f7/sonnens-war-episode-3-a-2355197/

Is it douchey to register at some MMA forums around the net just to spread it around? I only really post here at Sherdog, and sometimes my work can fall off the radar pretty fast. Considering it is a good bet the people will enjoy it (its not like I'm advertising some non-related business...) - what would you think of this?

I'm not just looking for comments... I'm sort of trying to open up some new career possibilities with this - I am really enjoying this style of artwork and would like to see if it can open any doors that are more interesting than my current job, but don't want to shoot myself in the foot if it looks like an asshole thing to do...

Is this bad forum-etiquitte? If you liked the content of the posts, would you think less of the poster?

What are some other positive ways I can get my stuff more seen in the MMA community?

would appreciate some perspectives - thanks!

Last edited: Jan 12, 2013
  2. Malas

Malas Sent via carrier pigeon

So many people do that kind of thing, whether it's for videos, music, or otherwise, that sometimes there's actually a feeling of necessity for those that aren't yet doing it in order to get their work any attention.

If people don't like it, they should just ignore the content of the thread as soon as they figure out it's an advertisement.

3. Big Sissy

Big Sissy Banned Banned

Who cares do what you want. F everybody who doesnt like it

4. Blood Python

Blood Python Silver Belt

I think it will yield a more positive response if you join the forum, make a name for yourself, earn respect and then promote.

Nobody is gonna give two shits when a white belt on their first post says "hey guys check out my _____ on this website" etc.