Thoughts on Johnson/Cejudo 2?

YOLOGOGOPLATA

4x Champ Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Manlets, manlets, manlets.. Blah blah blah that fight was SICK

Both men displayed incredible technical skill and heart. I thought Cejudo had no chance after his ankle rolled early In The first round, but he recovered quickly and brought the fight straight to Johnson. Cejudo's take downs and work in the clinch were extremely impressive and he even landed some solid shots on the feet. Mighty Mouse showed why he is the greatest flyweight of all time. His athleticism is absolutely absurd and his technical skills in every area really showed in this fight. The rolls he used to escape a couple of Cejudo's takedowns were absolutely some of the most beautiful displays of athleticism and skill I've ever witnessed in the octagon. His class in defeat after a very close fight was admirable and impressive to me.

I had it 48-47 Cejudo (rounds 2/4/5) and after rewatching it today I feel the same way, but I can understand if some people saw it the other way for Johnson. That was an absolutely beautiful fight And I think they should run it back immediately. Cejudo's ambition is admirable but I think he has absolutely NOTHING for TJ, and Mighty Mouse deserves the chance to avenge this loss. There is also nobody else in the division who can hang with Johnson so it feels pointless (and disrespectful) to give him a non title fight.

I loved every second of that fight, but what did my sherdogs think of the fight? What should be next for each fighter?

Both men displayed incredible technical skill and heart. I thought Cejudo had no chance after his ankle rolled early In The first round, but he recovered quickly and brought the fight straight to Johnson. Cejudo's take downs and work in the clinch were extremely impressive and he even landed some solid shots on the feet. Mighty Mouse showed why he is the greatest flyweight of all time. His athleticism is absolutely absurd and his technical skills in every area really showed in this fight. The rolls he used to escape a couple of Cejudo's takedowns were absolutely some of the most beautiful displays of athleticism and skill I've ever witnessed in the octagon. His class in defeat after a very close fight was admirable and impressive to me.

I had it 48-47 Cejudo (rounds 2/4/5) and after rewatching it today I feel the same way, but I can understand if some people saw it the other way for Johnson. That was an absolutely beautiful fight And I think they should run it back immediately. Cejudo's ambition is admirable but I think he has absolutely NOTHING for TJ, and Mighty Mouse deserves the chance to avenge this loss. There is also nobody else in the division who can hang with Johnson so it feels pointless (and disrespectful) to give him a non title fight.

I loved every second of it, but what did my sherdogs think of the fight? What should be next for each fighter?

I loved every second of it, but what did my sherdogs think of the fight? What should be next for each fighter?

Literally half of the people that post about MM are trolls.

But to me, the fight was one of the most interesting I’ve seen in awhile.

To see a fighter challenge MM and win was amazing.

not bad, considering 90% of posters are trolls, he gets less than average ;)

i look forward to the 3rd bout. any time someone really dominant loses i remember Matt Hughes speech after losing to BJ (the first time). he shrugged and said "hey, it's hard to have a target on your back for years, against the best fighters. eventually you lose". most humble i've ever seen Matt Hughes, before or since.

DJ usually goes to plan E, F, G after plans A B C and D don't work. this time he didn't, especially late. my guess is he still has enough left in the tank (career wise) to come back. Cejudo is no lock in the rubber match, that's for sure. but he should definitely be a slight favorite.

But to me, the fight was one of the most interesting I’ve seen in awhile.

To see a fighter challenge MM and win was amazing.
What do you make of the attacks thrown at him for not taking a superfight with Dillashaw? I mean, I honestly think not taking that fight at catchweight is a move that may indeed come back to curse him, but I kind of find the hate he's getting for it obscene at this point. I can't think of any other UFC champ in the last decade whom it was expected of them that they take a superfight with a reigning champ in the class above them. Anderson did it with a former champ who had just lost the title by highlight reel knockout but that's the closest I've ever seen. I'm not sure I can think of anyone whose gottent he flak MM has for not facing a reigning champ in the weight class above him.

The only flyweight fight of recent memory that I watched the entire 25 minutes, it was pretty entertaining

Cejudos wrestling was amazing to watch. Seeing him win pretty much every wrestling exchange was very impressive.

His knee tap takedowns are second to none.

FIght was good, was really impressed with Cejudo's wrestling. But it was close, and Johnson was the champ, so maybe Johnson should get the W...

robbery, cejudo did little to no damage with those takedowns. ofc rogan and dc went ape shit and started speaking as if they were some kind of knockdowns thats what pissed me the most

Has anyone shooped Anderson throwing banana peels at MM's feet everytime he got taken down? Thatd be cool

What do you make of the attacks thrown at him for not taking a superfight with Dillashaw? I mean, I honestly think not taking that fight at catchweight is a move that may indeed come back to curse him, but I kind of find the hate he's getting for it obscene at this point. I can't think of any other UFC champ in the last decade whom it was expected of them that they take a superfight with a reigning champ in the class above them. Anderson did it with a former champ who had just lost the title by highlight reel knockout but that's the closest I've ever seen. I'm not sure I can think of anyone whose gottent he flak MM has for not facing a reigning champ in the weight class above him.

I think they were warranted before this last fight.

But now that MM finally lost I feel it’s a bit crass to keep on hating on him.

If he won I would say it’s fair game to continue to pressure him to take the TJ fight.

But I’m not one to kick someone when their down.

I would be keen for a rematch, DJ doesn't strike me as someone who is going to beg for it though? - If Dana makes it and Cejudo would rather go again vs DJ than move up to fight Dillashaw, then so be it.
I have a feeling Dana would rather unify the BW and FW division though?

Just my thoughts.

The grappling exchanges were great. Otherwise, not really an inspired performance from the Mouse. And the outcome leaves me numb. Least emphatic seizing of the belt in recent memory. I had it a draw.

The only flyweight fight of recent memory that I watched the entire 25 minutes, it was pretty entertaining

Cejudos wrestling was amazing to watch. Seeing him win pretty much every wrestling exchange was very impressive.

His knee tap takedowns are second to none.
It was beautiful clinch work, but I'll be damned it the roll escapes MM pulled in either the 3rd or 4th round wasn't some of the craziest athleticism ever seen in the UFC. It was the rare technical fight that was also action packed and entertaining

Dj was classy last night not asking for the rematch,

But I think they'll give it to them, it might even be a strong enough main to do decent numbers now

But cejudo might do even better without the weird foot stuff, the strength advantage really seemed to work for him

Fight could have gone either way and it would be fair to give the Mouse a rematch, but I think that won't happen.

Back