1. Season 7 of the International Shoop League is now active! Section A » Section B »

Thoughts on grappling dummies

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment Discussion' started by beat...people...up?, Jul 2, 2019.

1. beat...people...up?

beat...people...up? Orange Belt

Since I got injured a few times this year I see the value of having one (also, my girlfriend is tired of me trying to practice on her--a common experience, I assume).

I'm trying to get over the weirdness/creepiness factor of it. Side note: I wonder if AI will soon enable us to create a highly realistic grappling dummy the way we've done with sex dolls or if that's too dangerous? Also, side note, I do love the idea of being able to say "I'm going to go play with my doll now" and make prolonged eye contact with whomever I'm talking to. When I DID have dolls as a child I use to violently beat them against my tree house until their heads rotated all the way around. Yes, it's a good thing I found jiu jitsu.

Anyway! I've just gotten over the psychological hurdle in real time, I think.

The monetary hurdle is tougher. I can't justify spending a ton of money on something I won't use much. So, is there one that is affordable? That allows you to practice a variety of techniques? That I can store in my (walk-in) closet and so avoid terrifying visitors to my home? What models are good? Should I just not bother? Can I rig something up myself? I have so many questions. Help.

2. AlanGregson

AlanGregson White Belt

Its a miracle you have a girlfriend... There's dummies out there for ground and pound and slamming but thats about it. I would imagine that making a realistic dummy with human like resistance would be expensive and quite pointless since you can just roll with your friends or bjj class. There's dummies for medical schools but i doubt that they are commercially available.

3. weirdflex

weirdflex White Belt

The no name ones are very affordable, they usually come empty though.

Only branded ones like Fairtex are expensive and as far as I can tell they aren't much better.

Im going to be making one eventually, even though it will cost me about the same as buying one. Think I could make a more life size and heavy one.

Only the very expensive wrestling dummies (the kind as tall as a real person and without legs) seem to be realistically heavy.

The kind aimed at jiu jitsu folk are more like a child/petite woman in weight and size.

I hope to make one that is around 180lb and 6ft tall.

4. 110822

110822 White Belt

I do really want to buy a dummy for ground and pound, but they are really expensive, like 180 euros.

5. Redfish

Redfish White Belt

It's never too late to seek help they say. Good luck my man.

6. flikerstance

flikerstance floridaman Yellow Card

id like 2 types one for takedowns and one for ground grappling

the takedown one can be light just something that stands ina hunch that simulates a person t practice shooting in like the snap and shoots tied to the wall

7. flikerstance

flikerstance floridaman Yellow Card

for ngp u can use a heavy bag tbh u dont have t have a body for it due to u not actually grabbing them during a lot of pros just beat on the bag

8. William Huggins

William Huggins Purple Belt

Bit of GHB in someone's drink and there you have it........a real life grappling dummy.........