thoughts on gomi

Discussion in 'Standup Technique' started by devante, Aug 1, 2010.

1. devante

devante Silver Belt

thoughts on his performance last night, now griffin isn't the most tech standup guy; but he has always been very effective w/his hands and feet, he didn't seem to be able to get much going against gomi. PERSONALLY i think the two bodyshots at the start really set the the tone for the fight and took aways some of griffins aggression; allowing gomi to set the pace and control the exchanges; that right hook, though a bit wild, was vicious...Griffin has a good chin but as soon as that shot landed the fight was over, i have never seen him react like that after getting hit.

sidenote-who else in mma makes a commitment to bodypunching other than gomi, melvin guilliard, jens pulver used to; but i can't think of too many other guys off the top of my head.

2. IOWAfight

IOWAfight Banned Banned

He probably didn't think Gomi was going to wreck him with an off balance right hook. Gomi packs the boom in his hands, both of them. I have a feeling other fighters are going to think twice about standing in the pocket with him from now on.

3. UFile

UFile Purple Belt

Look, Gomi has insane power. He has a granite chin to go along with it. There are a few guys with such power where even a grazing shot can KO you. Gomi, Takaya, and KID are guys with that kind of power. Although, this shot was right on the chin.

[​IMG]

4. devante

devante Silver Belt

gomi countered him off that leg kick, he ate it and came right back w/the right hand after the partially blocked left...

5. UFile

UFile Purple Belt

Yes? He also planted his right foot and pivoted ASAP

6. OHNO

OHNO Orange Belt

That's the perfect example of a horrible leg kick, and what you should do when encountered with one.

7. Connoisseur

Connoisseur Purple Belt

Yeah I was pumped about that. Gomi did very well, good body shots and yeah, he's still got some bricks for fists. The way Takanori throws his punches isn't technical at all, but he has a great sense for distance & timing, and when he throws, he throws to kill.

I had a feeling that Gomi would outstrike Tyson, but I def didn't expect an emphatic 1'st minute KO.

PS, Jose Aldo threw some nasty body shots in the Urijah fight. Serra works body shots well, he landed quite a few on Trigg before the KO. Stout mixes in body shots extremely well with into his combos.

8. Chillout010

Chillout010 Grrrr!!

That's the thing about Gomi, he's among (if not the) most powerful punchers in the division, he can KO you any second. He does gas sometimes though, probably because he puts everything he's got with almost every punch.

9. Mumrik

Mumrik Silver Belt

Diaz put it best in the best post-fight interview ever recorded on tape:

"that little guy though, man I don't know what the fuck... He was doing some karate in there. He was doing, you know... doing some crazy super punch shit. It's a little bit different you know. I don't know what that was - that wasn't boxing skills though."

"He's fucking doing some little hadouken fucking punch in there to me. You know, he is knocking people out, fucking busting their shit up. I don't know what the fuck, I don't know what the fuck did that (pointing to his messed up eye)."

Seriously - watch the video if you haven't yet. Seeing Diaz almost hating himself for having a newfound respect for somebody's striking is hilarious.

10. Steakeater**

Steakeater** Banned Banned

Good power, but he overcommits. He misses and almost goes 360

11. GSPforLIFE

GSPforLIFE Purple Belt

Exactly. Works well against guys that leave defensive openings that he is able to capitalize on; but when he runs into guys like Diaz or Florian that know how to box, they're long gone before those bombs can connect.

12. MuayThai2112

MuayThai2112 White Belt

Post this in heavyweights

13. SUPERGRAPPLER

SUPERGRAPPLER Purple Belt

Gomi did not disappoint! Was an amazing fight. Let's hope he climbs his way to a title. We need some new blood :D

14. ULLMONKEY

ULLMONKEY Yellow Belt

great to see gomi back to doing what he does best, i think gomi is just as good as he always was but things have moved on, fighters are better now than just 5 years ago, i really wonna see him stay out of the clubs and train

gomi, shogun, wanderlie just like old times

15. Soul Rebel 2

Soul Rebel 2 Black Belt

The Diaz bros and JDS also go to the body well.

I'm still not sold on Gomi, we knew that he had a-bombs in both hands and a steel chin. Those two gifts will always make you dangerous in an exchange but Gomis grappling and cardio are still untested.

16. lukewall

lukewall Green Belt

Gomi is always dangerous. Took advantage of a huge mistake from Tyson. Don't understand why fighters still throw low kicks blind with their heads in the air against brawlers. Same thing happened to Jardine when he fought Wanderlei.

Like many, i'm not too sure how far he'll go. He's notorious for poor training habits and coming to fights out of shape.

17. Too Defensive**

Too Defensive** Banned Banned

I dont know how anyone can be impressed with him. His standup looked like absolute shit. Its well known stand up in mma is piss poor. But he put an exclamation point on that fact.

18. stuntcum

stuntcum Yellow Belt

2 words: vic darchinyan.

Gomi trying to knock someone's head into the stands is nothing new. My question is since when does Tyson Griffin counter a straight left with a low kick? When fighting a guy known for throwing as hard as possible is not the time to play pretend Muay Thai. Simply a stupid decision

19. Mumrik

Mumrik Silver Belt

Not entirely true. He put Diaz on his ass. He lost (well, at first) that fight primarily because his cardio was laughable and Diaz's is absurd. Florian is a rather different fighter though. Much more movement and much more controlling the distance with kicks.

20. Boxer123

Boxer123 Guest

Kenny won that fight 100% with the jab and his boxing. He changed his style up a bit from his more thai boxing style to more of a boxing style.