Thoughts on Gane vs Volkov

G10

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Happy Thursday, Sherbros!

So, there doesn't seem to be much excitement or chatter about Gane vs Volkov, and what little has been said is all about Gane having an easy night. Even though I like Gane and I think he's going to do great things in the division, I'm not so sure about his chances against Volkov.

As good as Gane has looked, Volkov is the most dangerous opponent he's fought in his entire career. And if Volkov loses, Gane will have been the least experienced opponent he'll have ever lost to since being beaten by Tony Johnson in 2015. There's also the consideration that Volkov is the most physically imposing fighter Gane has gone up against, and he's a young whipper-snapper by heavyweight standards.

My prediction is that Gane will make it a tough fight, but he'll lose a decision to Volkov. But what say you, Sherbros?

I also have Volkov winning a decision in this one. He's such a seasoned and experienced striker and his length is a problem for everyone. Having said that, Gane moves incredibly well for a HW his size and is a tremendously skilled and technical striker in his own right. I have a feeling this won't be the most entertaining fight, but it should be a good technical chess match on the feet. I think Volkov will pull it off but wouldn't be shocked if Gane won a decision either.

Reactions: G10
I agree with you, the vocal majority of sherdog seems to be all aboard the Gane wagon.

Vegas too. If I were betting this one I'd take Volkov +120, not Gane - 155. (source).

Prediction? Volkov fights stodgy. There will be few combos thrown. Most fans will not enjoy this bout.

I'm actually excited for this fight. I think it will be interesting and I want to see who rises to the occasion and launches themselves into the next tier of the Heavyweight Division.

Last edited:
Good interesting fight and 2 good fights for the champ, dont care who wins really, just hope it's a good fight. Predicting the fight I think Volkov can win it on the outside and Gane can win it on the inside (clinch n takedowns), so it depends on who dictates where the fight takes place imo.

I think the most pressing dynamic at play here is that...

Gane is a one-and-done sniper

Volkov is a flurry of strikes kind of guy

Maybe Volkov just out-work rates him?

The second dynamic is that both of these guys are longboys. Longboys learn to use their superior reach as their defense. What will their defence look like when they're both at reach-parity?

The second dynamic is that both of these guys are longboys. Longboys learn to use their superior reach as their defense. What will their defence look like when they're both at reach-parity?
exactly.

And Volkov fights long with very technical jabs and straights.

On what rocks are you guys, all I see in Sherdog is Volkov nutuggers, if you do a Poll right now who wins Volkov would vastly win.

Back