Thoughts on Eryk Anders's soccer kick KO?

KazDibiase

"My style is kneeing people in the face."
@Silver
Reaction score
JovialVigorousAntarcticfurseal-size_restricted.gif
AmusingCookedApatosaur-size_restricted.gif
HauntingAmusedAttwatersprairiechicken-size_restricted.gif

Some people were calling it illegal and a dirty move since he didn't let Tim get up first. What's your opinion?

His hands weren't on the mat. The dude saw an opportunity and went for it. It provided one of the most entertaining moments of the night. As far as I'm concerned it was legal and very entertaining

Hell no it ain't a dirty move. It was awesome. If dude is gonna get up sloppily like that, why not? Completely legal

he got lucky with the timing of dude bringing his hands up and when the kick landed

was almost illegal

I loved it and I hate when ref seperate fighters so guys can get up because I want to see shit like this

he got lucky with the timing of dude bringing his hands up and when the kick landed

was almost illegal

If the kick is initiated when someone's hand is on the ground, it's only natural that they are going to lift it to protect themselves.

I agree - Anders simply got lucky.

So hellacious

JovialVigorousAntarcticfurseal-size_restricted.gif
AmusingCookedApatosaur-size_restricted.gif
HauntingAmusedAttwatersprairiechicken-size_restricted.gif

Some people were calling it illegal and a dirty move since he didn't let Tim get up first. What's your opinion?
Honestly....Anders is slow, plodding and limited.

I think he may have a better career as a kicker in the NFL than to ever be more than a mediocre MMA fighter in a very weak division.

It was legal and brutal. Kicked his dome nearly clean off.

was almost illegal

If the kick is initiated when someone's hand is on the ground, it's only natural that they are going to lift it to protect themselves.

I agree - Anders simply got lucky.
the kick still would have been legal even if his hand was still touching the ground.

• Fighters are only determined to be grounded when they have both hands, as well as feet on the ground
  • Fighters with a single hand on the ground can now be kicked or kneed in the face
  • A single hand placed on the canvas can be stomped as fighter is not grounded

Great KO

Wand and Shogun would be proud.

Its a bit different from that though, Wand and Shogun's opponents all knew about the potential for soccer kicks and it was more about getting them into that position. I mean I'm not really against it here either but its more exploiting a situation the opponent didn't really forsee.

One thing I'v always thought is that the most dangerous situations in MMA are when people are depending on the rules for defence not doing it themselves. Fighters turtling presenting the back of their heads to opponents(which obviously wouldn't happen with soccer kicks or knees on the ground) is the obvious one and we see a lot of dangerous shots creep in as people are trying to play with the boundries of whats legal.

You look back in Pride and actually plum soccer kicks didn't happen very often because fighters knew of the potential for them, often when they did happen it was to quickly finish a hurt opponent and the alternative would probably have been much more prolonged GnP.

It was magnificent. <{JustBleed}>

Everyone calling it illegal should read up about the new rules.

Like the best things in life, it was barely legal

I fucking loved it! Soccer kicks and knees to grounded opponent's heads should always be allowed, imo.

Back