thoughts on enzo calzaghe as a coach

devante

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
curious as to thoughts on enzo calzaghe as a trainer, based on what you have seen from joe and the macanelli (dude who got koed by david haye).

i know he had no exp as a trainer/boxer and basically taught himself to be a trainer and built his son from the ground up.

do u think its a matter of him just having a gifted son or is he that good a coach, i have never seen anything TECHNICALLY that tells me he has had the best training or has any mastery of the finer aspects of the game.

but im curious about ur opinions thoughts-how do u compare him to the mayweathers, roaches, stewards, atlas's

he an incredible motivator i don't know to be honest how i'd compare him to the likes of the mayweathers, roaches, stewards, atlas's etc

but he's done an incredible job for marcanelli wbo cruiser , gavin rees wba lww and Gary Lockett who is fighting kelly pavlik for the middle weight title . so he must be more than just the daddy of joe .

he an incredible motivator i don't know to be honest how i'd compare him to the likes of the mayweathers, roaches, stewards, atlas's etc

but he's done an incredible job for marcanelli wbo cruiser , gavin rees wba lww and Gary Lockett who is fighting kelly pavlik for the middle weight title . so he must be more than just the daddy of joe .

Rees is the former WBA LWW champ now, he looked pretty miserable against Kotelnik.
I'm not sure Rees would be a good example to tout for a good trainer.
He was just viewed as a club fighter until he beat M'Baye and really just looked like one with poor gas in his last fight, rather than someone to be touted as having great training.

watching joe shows me his dad seems to motivate and develops a high level of activity w/an emphasis on conditioning; but i don't know if i see the subtle refinement that comes w/top boxers or coaches, joe feints well and moves WELL.

But i haven't seen anything that says world class, except for his ability, i.e. timing, handspeed, athleticism; im knowledgeable, not the most knowledgeable..but i don't see anything TECH that says joe is getting top training.

do u think its a matter of him just having a gifted son or is he that good a coach,

I think it's both. Plus I also think Joe gets a LOT of motivation from his father. I'm not really sure how effective Enzo would be on other fighters though.

Enzo is a top trainer, just a few months ago he had 3 world champions.

& Czech you say Gavin Rees isn't a good example to tout for a good trainer, I think he is a great one. I don't see who else could've trained Rees to win a World Title. Rees is no great athlete and really just a mediocre fighter but Enzo took him to the top and he put in a great display against M'Baye.

Enzo is a top trainer, just a few months ago he had 3 world champions.

& Czech you say Gavin Rees isn't a good example to tout for a good trainer, I think he is a great one. I don't see who else could've trained Rees to win a World Title. Rees is no great athlete and really just a mediocre fighter but Enzo took him to the top and he put in a great display against M'Baye.

I would say the fact that Rees even got a title shot to begin with was much more due to having Frank Warren as a manager than that Enzo "trained" him up to world class, title challenging level. Rees never fought anyone to earn a shot at M'Baye, not even close.

Rees beat M'Baye, and he deserves credit for that, but it was a pretty miserable showing from M'Baye, he had a horridly slow start, and once he got it going M'Baye won the late rounds.

Rees also looked really bad against Kotelnik.

Really only time will tell, I personally don't think Rees has shown anything to indicate he's a top fighter or that he is a product of excellent training. We'll have to see in his future fights how he looks.

Rees isn't a top fighter, that's the point exact. It's that Calzaghe got him to excel beyond himself. And Warren may have down well to set up the fight, but that's hardly the hardest part is it?

Great Fighters Make Great Coaches! The likes of Tommy Hearns,Sugar Ray Etc Would Of Been Great Regardless Who Was Behind Them.

As for Enzo 3 world champions out of a tiny gym in wales must mean he is doing something right.

Rees isn't a top fighter, that's the point exact. It's that Calzaghe got him to excel beyond himself. And Warren may have down well to set up the fight, but that's hardly the hardest part is it?

No the hardest part is fighting top competition and winning. The only two fighters of absolutely any substance Rees has fought are M'Baye and Kotelnik, he's 1-1, didn't look like a top fighter in either, showed little defense and was about as gassed as you can be in the Kotelnik fight, not exactly the mark of great training.

No the hardest part is fighting top competition and winning. The only two fighters of absolutely any substance Rees has fought are M'Baye and Kotelnik, he's 1-1, didn't look like a top fighter in either, showed little defense and was about as gassed as you can be in the Kotelnik fight, not exactly the mark of great training.

Again noone is saying he's a top fighter, though I guess you don't understand that. You've just got to look at how succesful Enzo's camp has been to see his credentials as a trainer. The guy has, unquestionably, done amazingly well.

Id say he sees the fight pretty well. Telling calzaghie he needed a knockout in the last round is about the way i saw the fight 2.

You have to give credit to a guy that has trained a p4p champion from childhood and has kept him champion for the past decade+. We don't see 99.9% of what goes into training Joe and it's obviously been working for the last 20 years or however long he's been boxing...

He's pretty impressive considering he taught himself to be a trainer.

Back