Thoughts on Cormier and his future

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by IcemanFan75, Jan 4, 2015.

1. IcemanFan75

IcemanFan75 Purple Belt

I thought DC performed well against Jones in the first 3 rounds. He made it a dogfight and was landing some good shots. I still gave each round to Jones, but DC was right in the fight. Unfortunately, heading into the 4th round something changed. His demeanor between rounds changed. Head down, tired, and like he didn't believe he could pull it off anymore. Even his corner started to ask him stuff like, "Do you want this, Daniel?" They almost seemed a bit disappointed that he wasn't more intense and that he wasn't more desperate.

It was also frustrating that he couldn't get his back off the cage for most of round 5, and when he finally did, he tried for take downs knowing they wouldn't matter. I'm still a DC fan, but I think Jon is just better. I think Cormier is more effective at heavyweight, and if Cain weren't champion, he would have a strong chance of being champion.

I hope DC keeps his chin up and that this motivates him to work even harder, but if he stays at 205, I just don't see him beating Jones.

2. TotallyHacking

TotallyHacking White Belt

Jones probably gave him an eating disorder. Back up to 250 for the dough boy.

3. MrCarano

MrCarano White Belt

It was really strange. DC was giving Bones a dogfight, but it looked like he didn't want it anymore after 3 rounds. It's as if he had only mentally prepared for a mauling of Jones. And when Jones was resisting, DC said "ah, fuck it".

4. Count Zero

Count Zero Twisting Nether

i think dc took a huge mental hit from not being able to get him down at first

5. Gilday

Gilday Silver Belt

I thought DC was holding out for a big 5th round, but apparently not.

6. Kote Gaeshi

Kote Gaeshi Green Belt

age difference, that's what I saw after the 3rd round

7. TdotK

TdotK Purple Belt

The body attack in the first 2 rounds payed off huge for Jones.

8. ~ThrowDown~

~ThrowDown~ Purple Belt

In the post fight presser DC said that Bones wore him out way more than he expected he would. So yeah, even though he prepared for a 5 round war, he just got too worn out those first 3 rounds.

9. Blackened

Blackened It is a new era! Double Yellow Card

Enjoy the ban!

10. neomage2021

neomage2021 Silver Belt

I hope so too, but in the press conference when Cormier was nearly in tears talking about his loss he also said that he had constantly come up short in his athletic career and you could see him coming to the harsh reality that he would never be the best and this was his best chance.

I hope he come back and fights hard. he can still be top 5 at lhw for years.

11. Da Killa

Da Killa Green Belt

He's basically irrelevant, he can be a gatekeeper now. If he gets another title-shot he's lucky, he has no business in there with JJ.

12. MMAFan232

MMAFan232 Black Belt

He didnt have the steam left after the third. Its as simple as that. Jon wore him down then took over. I think dc should drop the fat and go down to 185. If lyoto could do it he can easily. I just think Jones is too good and will only become better

13. Marine8541

Marine8541 Purple Belt

When you engage in the type of hysteria he did leading up to the fight and you don't even come close to getting the job done it leaves an impression that's not easy to come to terms with.

14. Coyotexx***

Coyotexx*** Green Belt

its called gassing out

let's not forget DC isn't familiar with going the full bout meanwhile Jones has gone the distance many times

15. jase0910

jase0910 Purple Belt

And who are you to call out bans? But if he were calling Jones a POS and every other personal attack in the book, it would be just fine and he would be joined by an entire chorus of vitriolic hate.

16. neomage2021

neomage2021 Silver Belt

Cormier has gone 5 rounds before. Let's not forget about all that training he does with Velasquez to do "embrace the grind"

17. stevex42

stevex42 White Belt

Cormier is not the, get in a guys face and throw wild punches and elbows guy. In the fights where he was considered dominant, he pretty much just threw the other guy down and laid on top of him. I never understood how doing nothing other than holding down a 42 year old guy that is half his size was considered impressive. He tried to be Cain, but it has been proven time and time again that only Cain can be Cain.

The guy was at the brink, and after being tooled by Jones, he probably didn't have it in him to dig down for more.

18. Toxxus

Toxxus The Ancient One

News flash. Training with Cain doesn't make you Cain.

19. Tyrannosaurus rex

Tyrannosaurus rex GrizzlyTitan

Plus, he ate a whole bunch of body shots. They drain a fighter a lot and hurt like hell.

I think DC did well. Won a round and made it a tough fight for jones in 1 and 2. Toughest challenge Jones had IMO, after Gustafsson.

I think DC could potentially get another shot if he wins 2 or 3 more fights. I think he dominates almost everyone at LHW and maybe another fight with Jones will go differently.

20. Luke Rockhard

Luke Rockhard Purple Belt

This. By the time it hit the end of the 3rd round DC knew it was over and he looked like a destroyed fighter on the stool. Couldn't even hold his head up anymore. He was gassed, looking fat, and looking his age. DC is only a good fighter when he's winning. When he faces adversity, he folds like a lawn chair.

DC needs to retire and stay in the booth. He's not a real fighter, he's a fair weather fighter. Loves fighting against lesser competition, when he actually has to dig deep to win he doesn't have it. Really sad to see DC get broken after 3 rounds.