Thoughts on ambidexterity, Hick's Law and assigning different games to each side.

I definitely have different games for each side. I'm like Marcelo with the righty Guillotines and N-S chokes. I'm ambi on the RNC. If someone is turtled for example, and I'm on their left side, I'm almost always going to attack the Darce or some head-and-arm choke. If I'm on the other side I'm probably going to try to take the back. If I do take the back facing their left side as they're turtled, it's almost always with the crucifix. Ambi Darces, right Anacondas, left arm triangles.

I do right sided Triangles, but I will do a left Triangle off the hip-bump or Flower sweep. That's it though. From top-side I usually Keylock one side, Kimura the other, etc. Ambi armbars.

Certain passes and sweeps go to certain sides, etc. Reverse heel-hooks on the right leg, straight footlocks on the left leg, the list goes on.

I'm all over the fucking place man.

So my question is, and I need to read more on this Hicks' law, but do you think it's better to:

A- Practice back-and-forth between sides to develop ambi all along
B- have two different games for each side
C- Learn one side, then transfer the knowledge

I think Hick's law must assume that some sort of "mastery" or "expertise" does not develop alongside the number of options.

For example, if I have to make a choice between two options and five options, five options would seem to take a longer amount of time to process, etc. However, if increasing the number of options also required an increased understanding of these options (when one option should be preferred over another or how to execute the sequence more efficiently, etc.), something one could call "mastery" or "expertise," then more options would not require more time to process.

It's the way that expert chess players CAN see all the options available during their, but they simply choose the "best" option. Their expertise allows them to filter the options that are irrelevant, redundant or poor choices.

In BJJ, this could take a few forms. First, mastering a technique on one side can make it easier to learn that same technique (as opposed to learning an entirely new technique) on the off-side because you already know the order of the mechanics, etc. you must only focus on ingraining the specific muscle memory on that side. In addition, this can create VERY efficient options for you, depending on the circumstance. For example, if you are good at passing to both sides, with the same passes, then the number of permutations of passes available to you increases a significant amount.

An only intelectial dicussion and debate on the physiolical and physcial variables of training BJJ with both the domiinate and nondominate side on Sherdog? Hurry up before a mod sees this.

Odd, was talking to a neurologist that told me real ambidexterity only exists with people that have problems, or misdevelopments in their brains. You might want to get that shit checked out. :)

Or people with an extremely high IQ..........
According to my ex-wife I would fall into the former group.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NiTrok
Back