Thoughts about a female 007

Not sure if a thread was started, but did a quick search and didn't find one:

Last summer brought the news that the upcoming No Time to Die will strip James Bond of his "007" title and instead give it to a new character played by Marvel actress Lashana Lynch, marking the first time that a woman or a black character has been 007. Though the reports spread like wildfire, Lynch never addressed them in the public sphere and let the news spread. Eventually it was confirmed that her character Nomi would have "00" status, but what number would accompany that was still up in the air. Now Lynch has confirmed the news, opening up on what brought her to the part and how she handled the negativity by some sections of the internet to the news.

"A character that is too slick, a cast-iron figure? That’s completely against what I stand for," Lynch said. "I didn’t want to waste an opportunity when it came to what Nomi might represent. I searched for at least one moment in the script where Black audience members would nod their heads, tutting at the reality but glad to see their real life represented. In every project I am part of, no matter the budget or genre, the Black experience that I’m presenting needs to be 100 per cent authentic."

And Lashana Lynch talking about the rasical aspect of it:

Lynch also opened up about the vitriol that happened online after it was first reported that her character would be the new 007 as it revealed yet another ugly side of the internet that shows no signs of having a bottom.

"I am one Black woman – if it were another Black woman cast in the role, it would have been the same conversation, she would have got the same attacks, the same abuse," Lynch added. "I just have to remind myself that the conversation is happening and that I’m a part of something that will be very, very revolutionary."

https://comicbook.com/movies/news/no-time-to-die-star-lashana-lynch-confirms-her-character-007/

A female 007?

{<jordan}

That's the problem, people don't want to see a classic character changed by gender just because. It doesn't fly and reeks of desperation.

If we're worried about making sure girl power is a thing, make new, creative characters for women to play that they can call their own. Making a woman the next Bond, or other superhero characters is lame. Or just stick with Cat woman, Storm, Wonder Woman or Harley Quinn. All great characters. Or make new ones like them.

They tried with that salt movie. And a slew of other scarlet j movies.

None stuck.

I'm very progressive, but stop turning white characters other backgrounds and stop turning male characters females.

Why? Because I think they should not be in films? Nah, because I hate a lot of rehash and remakes.

Why not make more movies such as Haywire with Gina Carano or Salt with Angeline Jolie?

I know Haywire didnt do very well at the box office, but damn if I didnt like that movie and Salt made some serious profits.

Idris Elba said he doesn't even want it.

“You just get disheartened when you get people from a generational point of view going, ‘It can’t be.’ And it really turns out to be the color of my skin,” Elba explained. “And then if I get it and it didn’t work, or it did work, would it be because of the color of my skin? That’s a difficult position to put myself into when I don’t need to.”
yea thats a shame, such a good actor i think he would have smashed it

Red Sparrow was a(kind of)realistic representation of female spies. Lawrence' s character goes to what she call's "whore school" where she is taught to seduce her targets by figuring out exactly what they want her to be. She's also trained in the use of weapons, how to pick locks etc.

There isn't a lot of action in the movie, but the main fight scene is actually quite well done. Lawrence manages to get the drop on a highly trained assassin by helping him torture her CIA lover, then using the knife on him. The violence is pretty much as it is in real life; messy, ugly and over relatively quickly. And unlike a lot of movies, where small women effortlessly defeat much larger male opponents, by the time she's killed the FSB assassin she's sustained enough injuries she needs urgent medical attention.

Red Sparrow was a(kind of)realistic representation of female spies. Lawrence' s character goes to what she call's "whore school" where she is taught to seduce her targets by figuring out exactly what they want her to be. She's also trained in the use of weapons, how to pick locks etc.

There isn't a lot of action in the movie, but the main fight scene is actually quite well done. Lawrence manages to get the drop on a highly trained assassin by helping him torture her CIA lover, then using the knife on him. The violence is pretty much as it is in real life; messy, ugly and over relatively quickly. And unlike a lot of movies, where small women effortlessly defeat much larger male opponents, by the time she's killed the FSB assassin she's sustained enough injuries she needs urgent medical attention.

Red Sparrow doesn't sound that bad, i should check it out.

And is that Ross Pearson in Chris Evan's face in your av?

If it was a sexy woman who is naked a lot for no apparent reason then absolutely

Yeah, I wonder if making a series of movies around a modern day Nancy Drew would be a better option. Her stories (and the Hardy Boys) were actually pretty good back in the day. There's enough material to go by (depending on who owns the rights) where it could be a better option than changing up Bond.
Isn't Veronica Mars an updated, edgier Nancy Drew? and yeah, it did well. I was pleasantly surprised.

As long as she looks like she can handle herself - some small petite gal whipping up dudes who are 200lbs plus kinda makes suspending your belief pointless.

But there is Jedi referenced in the mandalorian Yoda has used the force.

So the reference still stands. If you removed those elements then that which is unique to star wars is no longer star wars. It's simply just a sci fi movie that has nothing unique about it.
I'm more on your side than you think but it's a bad example. Not only does THE MANDALORIAN succeed without TECHNICAL Jedi, as per your assertion, it does so with VARIATIONS of established characters that could be regarded as pandering.

Now you CAN totally have a star wars movie with no reference or mention of the force or the jedi or anything of that nature. But then there is nothing different about that universe to that of any other future sci fi verse. Those characters and stories even if told well could reside in any other universe with nothing changed because you've decided to omit that which made Star Wars "unique". You have now simply told a sci fi movie and slapped "Star Wars" in the title.
That's not a valid criticism. How are movies made if not writing stories FROM NOTHING then assigning identifying details? We're not pulling from the STAR WARS or James Bond dimensions where only those things exist and are therefore bonafide -- every film is made-up, and is trying to keep up with the times because reality dictates movies, not the other way around.

Sure, people can say NOT MAH XYZ but that's more of a dichotomous situation because intellectually they already know THE LAST JEDI is STAR WARS despite emotionally rejecting it. As much as we might say an intellectual property has veered off-track, that's an individual problem not a collective one (and it's certainly not the film's problem, outside of revenue). Although people may agree with your sentiment, it only matters that YOU are bothered, in which case, it behooves you to only open yourself up to the possibility of something good that doesn't subtract from what came before rather than die on a hill. Because you're literally bargaining against no one else but your rejection of what MIGHT BUT HASN'T YET come.

i was ok with Idris Elba, not because it would be a "win for the black community" or that type of thing that people are going crazy about these days, but only because the character has been done many many times and a change would be nice

but to make the character a women?? im not for identity politics
I think Idris Elba would've been a great James Bond.

I'm more on your side than you think but it's a bad example. Not only does THE MANDALORIAN succeed without TECHNICAL Jedi, as per your assertion, it does so with VARIATIONS of established characters that could be regarded as pandering.

That's not a valid criticism. How are movies made if not writing stories FROM NOTHING then assigning identifying details? We're not pulling from the STAR WARS or James Bond dimensions where only those things exist and are therefore bonafide -- every film is made-up, and is trying to keep up with the times because reality dictates movies, not the other way around.

Sure, people can say NOT MAH XYZ but that's more of a dichotomous situation because intellectually they already know THE LAST JEDI is STAR WARS despite emotionally rejecting it. As much as we might say an intellectual property has veered off-track, that's an individual problem not a collective one (and it's certainly not the film's problem, outside of revenue). Although people may agree with your sentiment, it only matters that YOU are bothered, in which case, it behooves you to only open yourself up to the possibility of something good that doesn't subtract from what came before rather than die on a hill. Because you're literally bargaining against no one else but your rejection of what MIGHT BUT HASN'T YET come.

Mandalorian works because it's a great story revolving around a bounty hunter. Bounty hunters are not unique to Star Wars. Nor are the aliens or droids or any of the like. All those elements are crossed over into any other fiction. What separates a star wars film from just regular sci fi is the force and specifically the Jedi.

And Mandalorian has those elements. I mean the entire mcguffin is Jedi baby yoda.

If you removed all that which is unique to Star Wars, you just have a sci fi film.

In relation to Bond. It's a spy film based around a character who's a male chauvinist. We the audience (mostly male) live out our fantasies of being this good looking, suave, male womaniser who also saves the world with cool toys.

If you swapped him to a female, you remove all the elements of Bond's characteristics and now you are just left with a spy film that has a female lead. You've just slapped 007 in the title. It won't feel like a bond movie. And bond fans won't like the experience because all that was unique to Bond had been removed.

Mandalorian works because it's a great story revolving around a bounty hunter.
You touch upon something that I was going to bring up as the solution for a lot of these issues. Even though I don't mind more representation on film -- like for instance getting a handicapped actor to play a handicapped character -- I do still harbor the notion that "this is acting, isn't it? People pretending? Is outrage really the proper reaction?"

The solution is story. If the story is good, people will accept any fucking thing. If the optics work, they're all-in. The problem occurs when story fails to engage, not because elements have evolved.

Would be funny having a chick play that role.

man-talk.gif

As long as she fucks like a champ it shouldn't really matter.

i wont watch. i cant look at that face
236FywE.png
they tried something similar once, it failed
cb1dUDm.png