Thoughts about a female 007

ModernMatt

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Not sure if a thread was started, but did a quick search and didn't find one:

Last summer brought the news that the upcoming No Time to Die will strip James Bond of his "007" title and instead give it to a new character played by Marvel actress Lashana Lynch, marking the first time that a woman or a black character has been 007. Though the reports spread like wildfire, Lynch never addressed them in the public sphere and let the news spread. Eventually it was confirmed that her character Nomi would have "00" status, but what number would accompany that was still up in the air. Now Lynch has confirmed the news, opening up on what brought her to the part and how she handled the negativity by some sections of the internet to the news.

"A character that is too slick, a cast-iron figure? That’s completely against what I stand for," Lynch said. "I didn’t want to waste an opportunity when it came to what Nomi might represent. I searched for at least one moment in the script where Black audience members would nod their heads, tutting at the reality but glad to see their real life represented. In every project I am part of, no matter the budget or genre, the Black experience that I’m presenting needs to be 100 per cent authentic."

And Lashana Lynch talking about the rasical aspect of it:

Lynch also opened up about the vitriol that happened online after it was first reported that her character would be the new 007 as it revealed yet another ugly side of the internet that shows no signs of having a bottom.

"I am one Black woman – if it were another Black woman cast in the role, it would have been the same conversation, she would have got the same attacks, the same abuse," Lynch added. "I just have to remind myself that the conversation is happening and that I’m a part of something that will be very, very revolutionary."

https://comicbook.com/movies/news/no-time-to-die-star-lashana-lynch-confirms-her-character-007/

i was ok with Idris Elba, not because it would be a "win for the black community" or that type of thing that people are going crazy about these days, but only because the character has been done many many times and a change would be nice

but to make the character a women?? im not for identity politics

Perhaps being a spy for Britain and America who are basically war crime inc isn’t where a person ought to go to find some kind of authentic experience in the way she suggests.

Bond franchise is dead soo might as well because it doesn't matter.
I bet the box office begs to differ.

Irdis would have been perfect. I don't really care if bond is female. But if they show her effortlessly winning every fight against men it's going to suck. Sicario? I think was had a very good female/male fight. Hoped they do them like that.

i was ok with Idris Elba, not because it would be a "win for the black community" or that type of thing that people are going crazy about these days, but only because the character has been done many many times and a change would be nice

I thought Idris Elba would of made a good Bond.

But they're going to have to rebrand the franchise, it looks like James Bond won't be part of the franchise anymore. Maybe just start calling it "007 *insert deadly title* "

Sounds like a popcorn dropping moment to me.

Only if it's an overweight transgender muslim paraplegic non binary autistic woman.

Anything less and I don't think you could call it progressive.

Diversity and inclusion are paramount to moving forward.

I'm tired of cis straight white men starring in every movie.

Representation matters.

Derp.

I'd enjoy watching a good movie with a female secret agent as a protagonist. They should stay off the Bond franchise and try to make something new and original. But we all know what it's all about now.

I bet the box office begs to differ.

Irdis would have been perfect. I don't really care if bond is female. But if they show her effortlessly winning every fight against men it's going to suck. Sicario? I think was had a very good female/male fight. Hoped they do them like that.

That was another concern of mine, will she be like Salt, where a smaller female is effortlessly throwing and beating bigger males? Or is she going to fight only females though out the movie?

Red Sparrow was as close to such a movie as I can think of. The main character didn't throw 220 lb dudes around, didn't go all Jason Bourne, and had a decent backstory and fair explanation of how she came to be where she found herself.

If they could develop a good character with a plausible back story then we can have a decent female spy movie. Don't think that we have to gender swap 007 to do that.

Red Sparrow was as close to such a movie as I can think of. The main character didn't throw 220 lb dudes around, didn't go all Jason Bourne, and had a decent backstory and fair explanation of how she came to be where she found herself.

If they could develop a good character with a plausible back story then we can have a decent female spy movie. Don't think that we have to gender swap 007 to do that.

Haven't seen Red Sparrow yet. Maybe I'll give it a go this weekend

At that point, it's no longer a bond movie and has strayed so far from it's original premise into something entirely different.

It may as well just be a different brand and the 007 aspect is only there in title only. offering none of the original content you were experiencing from a bond movie.

It is no longer bond at that point. It would be like removing the jedi from a star wars movie. At that point all you have is just a sci fi movie which offers nothing unique to star wars.

Last edited:
Is she still gonna bang 10/10 females? Cause that's a big part of the character.....
Word.
If there's no at least 6 hot&heavy lesbo scenes, Imma get offended and cry discrimination!!!

It's an odd transition, because they are NOT making her James Bond.

They are (presumably) retiring him and turning his title over to her. But what the audience cares about is the character not the job title. Like when Jack Ryan went from Analyst to Field Agent the audience wasn't expected to watch whoever took over as a CIA Data Analyst. We just went for the ride with Jack Ryan.

Still people are more than willing to watch non-Bond spy movies (MI, Bourne, Kingsmen) so presumably if we like this world and she's a good character, the audience will come along for the ride. I can't imagine why it's important that she gets his EXACT 00 number, but I guess it's symbolic of the torch being passed.

I hope they avoid making her whole character about her identity and I hope they don't try to make her She-Bond.

Idris Elba said he doesn't even want it.

“You just get disheartened when you get people from a generational point of view going, ‘It can’t be.’ And it really turns out to be the color of my skin,” Elba explained. “And then if I get it and it didn’t work, or it did work, would it be because of the color of my skin? That’s a difficult position to put myself into when I don’t need to.”