Those who Listen to Metal Music

I don't really listen to metal, but being an outsider looking in and by passing their metal apparel, I notice that the majority of them are very down to earth, very easy going and they don't have a large ego. Is this the norm with metal fans?
Yes except for the time I was at a Machinehead concert and these two groups of women started arguing. Next thing you know their guys are brawling, like ten guys. First time I saw a guy getting his head stomped on.

Been a metal fan all my life and transited among people in the furthest sides of the spectrum, from power metal nerds to grindcore crazies.

I can say that the vast majority of the metalheads are very nice people, but some of us are really fucked up in the head.

Can confirm. Metal tends to attract people who aren't mentally well, but even then it's not all bad. I've had completely honest conversations with these people at concerts and they've mentioned that going to metal concerts and experiencing the music live is a cathartic experience for them which helps them to get through all the other shit in their lives. For those few precious hours, they can let go and feel human.

I don't really listen to metal, but being an outsider looking in and by passing their metal apparel, I notice that the majority of them are very down to earth, very easy going and they don't have a large ego. Is this the norm with metal fans?

Generally speaking yes, I'd have as many random chats at a metal gig than I would at a rave, but the latter was definitely chemically induced.

Most metal fans are actually quite nerdy and introverted, generally find it easier to connect with other metal fans.

...Even pop has more booze-related lyrics than metal

...and then you listen to Alestorm LOL

watch

If I learned that a girl is a metal head, I assume right away that her daddy touched her when she was a child tbh....

Kind of a weird conclusion to draw. The drummer in this band...

Is a woman and has a Master's or PhD in a science field. Don't look too deep into people's interests.

For the most part metalheads are cool. There's some annoying gatekeepers, but that's a problem with any less mainstream genre of music.

Also, there's a lot of variance among subgenres. Death metal and grind grindcore fans tend to be among the best IMO, but black metal has a HUGE nazi problem (and I say this as a black metal fan).

Ehhh, some for sure but it's blown way out of proportion. The people who got into black metal the last 10 years via Vice and Pitchfork trying to police the scene is a fucking joke. They throw out accusations of bands being Nazis left and right and with no consequence.

I've been to gigs of bands that are "Nazis" or "Nazi adjacent" according to the scene tourists. No one was getting recruited, not one salute, not one racial slur and no talk of aryan supremacy. They don't even go after the real NS fests because they can't win those fights and those bands/fests aren't high profile enough to get a bit of clout. What happened with Steelfest recently is pathetic. Labeling Kreator, Samael, Havukrunnu and others as Nazi bands? Weak cowards trying to get internet recognition from their fellow moral police goons and doing something to validate their empty lives instead of actually doing something to make their community better. You can't come into a scene that's been around longer than you've been alive and start dictating terms. That's not how the world works. They all have Burzum albums in their collections anyways.

Also, there's a lot of variance among subgenres. Death metal and grind grindcore fans tend to be among the best IMO, but black metal has a HUGE nazi problem (and I say this as a black metal fan).
i've been a black metal fan for almost 20 years and it's in no way indicative of the wider audience or groups. there's some assholes around but that about it. saying HUGE nazi problem is a big exaggeration. i've been around that world for decades and i have not seen ONE case of that bullshit live. Seen Hoest sing twice and there were black dudes in the mosh pit and having fun. let's not make a big deal out of nothing.

Kind of a weird conclusion to draw. The drummer in this band...

Is a woman and has a Master's or PhD in a science field. Don't look too deep into people's interests.

Ehhh, some for sure but it's blown way out of proportion. The people who got into black metal the last 10 years via Vice and Pitchfork trying to police the scene is a fucking joke. They throw out accusations of bands being Nazis left and right and with no consequence.

I've been to gigs of bands that are "Nazis" or "Nazi adjacent" according to the scene tourists. No one was getting recruited, not one salute, not one racial slur and no talk of aryan supremacy. They don't even go after the real NS fests because they can't win those fights and those bands/fests aren't high profile enough to get a bit of clout. What happened with Steelfest recently is pathetic. Labeling Kreator, Samael, Havukrunnu and others as Nazi bands? Weak cowards trying to get internet recognition from their fellow moral police goons and doing something to validate their empty lives instead of actually doing something to make their community better. You can't come into a scene that's been around longer than you've been alive and start dictating terms. That's not how the world works. They all have Burzum albums in their collections anyways.

If anyone thinks Kreator is a Nazi band, they have a single-digit IQ.

Just look at these lyrics from People of The Lie:

"You cannot hide behind those empty claims
Your racist pride is nothing but a game
And you will lose for right is on the side
Of those who choose to fight for humankind"

Last edited:
There is a lot of elitism in the metal music fandom space, but by and large, we're a pretty solid bunch.

If I learned that a girl is a metal head, I assume right away that her daddy touched her when she was a child tbh....
I can. assure you my father didn't molest me, he was a massive influence on my metalness though, he was into Iron Butterfly, Zeppelin, Deep Purple and Sabbath so I grew up with it.

I've been a metal head for most of my life. I'm more open minded than i used to be as i was quite snobbish about anything released after 1995 lol.

I still hold the earlier metal releases in the highest regard however my music tastes now ranges to things like 80s pop and post rock.

Metal is often a catharsis, you let out your aggression and anger and such via the songs, which can lead to the person being more chill.

i always liked rock and metal growing up but was more into gangster rap. 2000's I started getting into metal more and more then became a metal head. I flew to some countrys just for some metals fests, looked up what bars play metal in cities or countries its great. Parkway drive became my fav 2012, I am all over the place who I like and don't. I don't care about sub-genre's and all that shit I just listen to what I like. Metal heads are cool fun people, I been in so many pits and hardly seen any real assholes that sucker punch or don't help people it's very very few.

Yes except for the time I was at a Machinehead concert and these two groups of women started arguing. Next thing you know their guys are brawling, like ten guys. First time I saw a guy getting his head stomped on.
Damn. I saw Machine Head in 1999 at this pool hall/concert venue. It was excellent. Rob kept promoting his Absolute Vodka and orange juice drink because I think Absolute sponsored them. That part was a bit odd. But it was a great show at a small venue.

Jackal Onassis is as real as it gets when it comes to metal. His fans kinda suck though.

where i come from the notion is basically: if there is a metal concert or festival, you don't really need too much security. if there is a rap concert on the other hand... call in da troopz

Yes. Metal as a genre is typically not built around a big ego or some silly style. Most metal bands have devoted fans but aren’t insanely popular (except for the few that have been around forever like Metallica) so therefore the band members are laid back and it’s reflected in the fanbase.

Back