Those who Listen to Metal Music

That is a surprised. Is it because they don't really glamorize drugs and alcohol?
I have no idea why. I think maybe it's because they get naturally high off of their style of playing and perhaps all the girls they get.

Edit: I think the reason they get so many girls is because they seem like assholes, but [shrug].

the-wire-mc-nulty.gif

I've been a metal fan for many years now, and my experience with metal heads has been mostly positive. Visited Copenhell (a metal festival) a few times as well, and the crowd there are by far the best crowd I've been around. People know how to have fun, without being assholes. Heck, even in the mosh pits if someone falls down people help them up and make sure they are okay. Oh, and kids around during the day too with no issues.

Agree, the self proclaimed fans who try to classify what is real metal or get pissed when you mislabeled it are a cancer.

You have fuckers trying to say Black Sabbath, Priest or Maiden aren't metal despite many actual modern metal bands saying they most definitely are....and are to be considered Gods...

Fucking internet man...
I only like those earlier bands and in that sense you could consider me a metal fan. But honestly they sound like hard rock to me especially if you compare to more modern harsher metal imo.

Metal head/punk most of my life.

There's a few types.

There is the try hard edgie im so hardcore and better than you cause I listen to the most underground bands ever crowd. They're usually jackasses.

But on the whole it's a pretty inclusive, who cares scene. Sure there's the drunks and drug guys but that runs in most scenes.

The scenes with the more edgie/try hard tough guy is usually the more main stream-teen crowds like the metalcore/deathcore scenes.

But I've gone to more metal shows than I can remember and it's mostly a good time. People have fun. People help you out.

Its mostly a scene where alot of us grew up as misfits or weirdos and came together over music. Plus the music can be so aggressive and extreme that you don't really carry it else where.

Most pits for example look dangerous and all, but people usually look after one another. Saw a girl faint in one at a cannibal corpse show. Everyone immediately stopped doing it and helped medical get her out.
Same with a dude at a show who just had a freak accident and broke his leg when he jumped up and down.

Alot of times too the others I've met are more open into other things.

And yeah alot of time will like more other music types. I'm big on industrial, post rock/metal etc

The bands themselves are usually cool to fans too. I've met a bunch and they've always been rad to their fans. I tripped over in the toilet in front of fkn dying fetus who laughed and asked if I was alright.
Attila from Mayhem talked to me for like 10 minutes after a show whilst he smoked a pipe.

It really helps you pay it forward when the guys who you follow treat you well too

For the most part metalheads are cool. There's some annoying gatekeepers, but that's a problem with any less mainstream genre of music.

Also, there's a lot of variance among subgenres. Death metal and grind grindcore fans tend to be among the best IMO, but black metal has a HUGE nazi problem (and I say this as a black metal fan).

I have also noticed many metal heads who are not trying to put on a front will have a good mix of non metal songs in their collection as well. Because they really don't care what anyone thinks about their Playlist.

Can confirm. My Spotify ranges from the 50’s through today. Glad my kids are into a little bit of everything too.

Currently digging the fuck out of Turnstile.

Agree, the self proclaimed fans who try to classify what is real metal or get pissed when you mislabeled it are a cancer.

You have fuckers trying to say Black Sabbath, Priest or Maiden aren't metal despite many actual modern metal bands saying they most definitely are....and are to be considered Gods...

Fucking internet man...

Anyone who thinks Sabbath, Priest or Maiden aren't metal is the least metal person on earth.

I'm a big metal fan but definitely don't look or dress like one.

Over the years I've come to accept that most people are just never going to like the music I like, and that's okay.

It's not that they "Don't get it", it just doesn't sound good to them. I think most metal fans come to have this attitude as they grow older.

Yes I would say so. The metal community is also the cleanest in terms of drugs and alcohol surprisingly.
That's because the vast majority of metalheads today are either younger misfits who don't get invited to parties, or older people who's partying days are behind them

Metal is a massive umbrella and not all the genres have the same types of fans. Traditional Metallica/Slayer types are generally the bigger assholes in metal. Black metal kids are sorta like marilyn mansonites but they actually believe the shit they say. Power metal fans are nerds, and then there's manowar fans...

I don't wanna talk about manowar fans.

I don't really listen to metal, but being an outsider looking in and by passing their metal apparel, I notice that the majority of them are very down to earth, very easy going and they don't have a large ego. Is this the norm with metal fans?

Not really. While there are a lot of cool metal fans out there, me being one of them, a lot of them are snobby, dumb, and arrogant. If you call a black metal band death metal, they have to correct you. Or if you get one of the hundred other denominations of metal incorrectly by band name.

The funny part is, the guys who play in metal bands are always laid back and don’t give a shit about what style of metal this or that is. The only people who feel the need to create a million different metal categories are the people who aren’t actually musicians, and need to feel like they have the inside track on some kind of knowledge.

But then there’s the casual metal fan. These are the guys who do tons of meth and go to concerts for the sole purpose of getting in a mosh pit and “fucking someone up.” There is undoubtedly a lot of overlap between them and casual MMA fans. They’re dumb as shit, watch a lot of pro wrestling, etc.

Been a metal fan all my life and transited among people in the furthest sides of the spectrum, from power metal nerds to grindcore crazies.

I can say that the vast majority of the metalheads are very nice people, but some of us are really fucked up in the head.

Metal is pretty broad but I do think that as whole the metal folks are more likely to accept you if you like metal than the rap, country and other genre communities would be. One exception is (and you might laugh but it's true) Juggalos. Juggalos are also extremely welcoming, you just have to deal with all the degenerate shit, but if you're cool with it they're cool with you.

I think Prog Metal is maybe #1 among all of metal, IMO. I went to ProgPower a couple of times and it was the best experience in music I've ever had. That's saying I'm not even a huge Prog Metal fan.

If you are a metalhead, you can go anywhere in the world and find good people if you've got a band shirt or recognize one on a local. Language isn't even a problem because there's a kinship you don't really find in other genres. I've been to multiple European fests, not Wacken sized more underground, by myself and always met cool people. Drank with Belgians, Austrians, Polish, German and Aussie metalheads who've all been real friendly and fun to hangout with during the festival. As long as you're not a dick and are there to appreciate the music, everyone is relaxed, drinking and there to enjoy themselves.

I've also been to shows in Bangkok, Tokyo, Osaka, Yokohama, and Seoul. Same deal. If you're genuine and not being an asshole, you'll have fun.

I don't know about it being the cleanest because I've drank a lot at every fest haha. People are there to buy merch, too. Sometimes your only chance to get a lesser known band's shirt is at that show and it is cash straight into the band's pockets.

Last edited:
Back