*Those saying it wasn't an early stoppage and TJ was out should watch this Sakuraba video*

It is what it is, TJ could've continued for longer, but his legs were rubber and Henry was all over him.

It wasn't a bad stoppage or a good one, it was just unfortunate that TJ couldn't recover faster, or that Henry didn't put him out cold, to satisfy the fans.

TJ going down in weight was extremely stupid, in fact if you look at fighters who go down, they usually have less success. He looked like a meth head at 135. He wasn't gonna survive the onslaught and Dana is pissed because the first ESPN+ card main card sucked and his dumb fucking ass put Gregory Hardlyboy on as the co-main.

Actually maybe just watch the Glover fight earlier that night even.

I think there was more to come from Henry and that TJ escaped a brutal brain bashing for another 30 seconds or so. But I definitely want to see fighters in championship fights get every chance they have to recover and that wasn't it unfortunately for TJ
A million what ifs, the only thing we know is that that fight wasn’t over.

I say it was an early stoppage. With Henry all over him it may not have made a difference, but I would rather see it go to a definitive ending. As soon as the ref started jumping around and freaking out I knew he was going to stop it early.

Sakuraba doesn’t slur but he might as well

Dude was a samurai

Fan since 2004 but u wouldn’t use Sakuraba losing brain cells comeback to justify longer reffing on TKos

These weren't heavyweights though, Cejudo was going to continue that barrage for 4 and half more minutes without slowing down. TJ wasn't going to magically make it to his feet and hit a perfect counter, he was getting worked and it was only getting worse for him.

Guess that's what happened to Frankie too....oh wait.

I agree they should let them fight more but with the way things are now it wasn't a terrible stoppage and I was pulling for Tj

He got knocked out 3 times before knocking out Barry
He had only been TKO'd once after being mounted and stopped by Gilbert Yvel, which was more exhaustion than anything. Unless you mean the fight itself, which no one would have argued a stoppage at any point before that.

Good stoppage. It’s not like TJ got caught by some bum. He got rocked by arguably the best p4p fighter on the planet. He would have been on the end of a prolonged beating if the ref let it go
I feel confident saying that he is the best P4P fighter. Beating Mouse and Dillashaw back to back seals it. Cormier is currently one but he got his ass beat by Jones, never avenged it, and I feel Cejudo is better than DC everywhere, was also a gold olympian while Cormier never won any prestigious title in college or worlds. Cejudo also did this at 18, which is frightening, and I always felt is was inevitable that he would be GOAT when he had more time, especially considering he was a champion amateur boxer too.

Good stoppage. It’s not like TJ got caught by some bum. He got rocked by arguably the best p4p fighter on the planet. He would have been on the end of a prolonged beating if the ref let it go
You have no way of knowing for certain how it would have gone.....

We’ve certainly seen things from situations like that go the other way.

Don’t stop a fight of that magnitude 30 seconds in when the guy is still defending himself. It’s just common sense and refs need to have some too.

TJ got his ass whipped. Deal with it.

Impotently reaching for an ankle that you don't come close to gripping or controlling isn't intelligent defense. Getting lit up and dropped repeatedly while you don't even have the presence of mind to try and see your opponent isn't intelligent defense. Blocking a side of your head where your opponent can't reach because he's completely on the other side of you isn't intelligent defense. Henry was taking whatever position he wanted. As TJ was 'going for a single leg' Cejudo stood up and circled behind him. TJ was fucking done for. He should thank the ref for saving his brain cells.
Cejduo made that look so steezy, it was like he was just revolving around TJ

Guess that's what happened to Frankie too....oh wait.
TJ doesn't have Frankie's chin and Maynard didn't have Cejudo's stamina. Sure you have moments where fighters have made crazy comebacks but you have more moments that the fight should have been stopped earlier. There was nothing controversial about that stoppage.

TJ doesn't have Frankie's chin and Maynard didn't have Cejudo's stamina. Sure you have moments where fighters have made crazy comebacks but you have more moments that the fight should have been stopped earlier. There was nothing controversial about that stoppage.

You keep quoting me like I'm the TS, I dont give a shit.

SAKURABA Vs SMIRNOVAS, THE COMEBACK. One of the best videos i've seen about a MMA fight.

MMA newcomers should watch it too. So they know better who Saku was.

The referee should watch it too, again.

TJ got a chance to keep fighting. And, maybe and most probably, lose more convincingly.

More importantly, who the fack is Smirnovas ?

Some guy who fought 20 years ago and not even in the UFC. He's probably good but not that good and was mainly a Judoka......vs. Sakuraba who's a CATCH WRESTLER.

The main difference here is that TJ was on queer street, trying to recover while an Olympic Gold Medalist was on top of him, raining down punches. If it were some striker with decent Jitsu on top or even a Judoka, then TJ's wrestling may save him, but not against Cejudo, who was also completely fresh; with 4:30 left.

You have no way of knowing for certain how it would have gone.....

We’ve certainly seen things from situations like that go the other way.

Don’t stop a fight of that magnitude 30 seconds in when the guy is still defending himself. It’s just common sense and refs need to have some too.
He wasn't defending himself though. He was getting hit over and over with his hands down and his head bouncing all over the place, he think is on his ass reaching out for a leg and continuing to get punched while Cejudo took his back. That's not defense.

Back