Thomson is possibly the most undeserving challenger ever

Let's actually look at this guy's recent career.

In 2008, he pulls off a shocking upset over Gilbert Melendez, controlling the fight with front kicks.

In his next fight he beats an overmatched Bowman.

At the end of 2009, he rematches Melendez, and the fight is a complete 180, with Melendez dominating the majority of the fight.

Coming off the loss to melendez, thomson fights an underrated healy, and wins with a third round submission in an awesome comeback

Off that win, thomson fought cavalcante. This fight was a robbery, period. Cavalcante won rounds 1 and 3. http://mmadecisions.com/decision/1953/Josh-Thomson-vs-JZ-Cavalcante

Off the Cavalcante robbery win, Thomson fought Kawajiri in Japan. Thomson was thoroughly dominated for 15 minutes. This should be two losses in a row.

Off the thrashing by Kawajiri, Thomson fought Noons, and lnp'ed him for 15 minutes. This fight sucked. Badly. But, due to Strikeforce matchmaking, a robbery win, a dominating loss, and a lnp win = title shot.

For whatever reason, Strikeforce decides to make melendez/thomson 3. Everyone thinks thomson is going to get crushed, but he manages to make round 3 competitive, and wins rounds 4 and 5, resulting in a split decision loss.

Then he comes to the UFC, and fairly KO's diaz. It was his biggest win since beating melendez for sure.

But, there is no way all of this amounts to a title shot. Healy/Nurm winner deserves it a lot more at this point. Hell, so does dos anjos.
Your just mean

So what's the deal with TJ Grant? I thought he was getting the shot and was surprised to see this match made.

How is it weird ass matchmaking, if you cannot think of anyone better?

I'm sure if I actually cared at the moment I could come up with someone with a actually win streak who's way more deserving.

The UFC should've thrown in Alvare...

Oh. Um. Carry on.

He destroyed and KTFO a guy who had just fought for the title and many people felt he was robbed against Melendez, a guy who fought for the title recently.

Sonnen and Vitor say hello by the way

tumblr_mllxv4Dl751qhndw9o1_400.gif

he did the thing that former champ, couldn't do.

Bigfoot got a title shot from a lucky ko of Overeem, after coming off a complete mauling from none other than the same guy he was scheduled to face next.

Sonnen got a title shot in a weight class he had never had a UFC fight in... and he was coming off of a loss in a lower weight class!

Nick Diaz got a title shot after a loss and a suspension for weed. He also hadn't beat a top 10 ww -- aside from maybe Paul Daley -- in years.

Vitor Belfort got a mw title shot despite not even having a previous fight in the UFC's mw division. He only had two wins at mw in another org -- against Lindland and Martin lol.

Frankie Edgar got a title shot in a weight class he never had a fight in.

BJ Penn got numerous undeserved title shots.

Couture got numerous undeserved title shots.

There have been several example of people getting title shots that were worse than this.

Thomson looked really good against Diaz, and with Grant still out, there really isn't anyone else in the picture. Melendez and Maynard are both coming off loses. Miller is technically coming off a fight he lost. Healy got his best win 'overturned' and was suspended for weed. Tibau doesn't have any recent wins against a top 10 opponent. Same for Khabib.

So basically it's between Thomson and dos Anjos.

So what's the deal with TJ Grant? I thought he was getting the shot and was surprised to see this match made.

hasnt been cleared by the doc yet after the concussion and wont be ready in time.

TJ has earned the shot but i gotta admit, i love the Thomson matchup

did you even watch that JZ fight? Josh won that fight handily. Plus Josh has top 5 hair in mma, he looks great that has to count for something.

did you even watch that JZ fight? Josh won that fight handily. Plus Josh has top 5 hair in mma, he looks great that has to count for something.

LOL! MMA hair, good one brother! There's your answer TS, bypenngoat just gave it to all of us. Priceless. And if you look closely you'll see Chael, Nick Diaz, Franky, and Vitor (when he doesn't cut it in that fucked up 1980's faux punk Mohawk) all have great hair. Mystery solved. .......no wonder Matt Sera, Tito,and Randy Couture retired, they don't got the follicles for a championship run anymore.

Horrible thread.

Top 5 Fighter Gets Titleshot

OMFG!

How about Glover beating the unranked Bader & with 0 top-five wins?

It seems out of left field, but its not even close to the most undeserved. Don't forget Eilers once got a shot at AA for losing to Buentello. Don't forget Brock, Frankie, and how could you forget Chael? Josh is an injury replacement, he beat a guy who was considered one of the top LWs in dominant fashion. Personally I'd rather see Gil, but then you'd cry how he's coming off a loss. I hope Josh makes it a competitive fight.

Let's actually look at this guy's recent career.

In 2008, he pulls off a shocking upset over Gilbert Melendez, controlling the fight with front kicks.

In his next fight he beats an overmatched Bowman.

At the end of 2009, he rematches Melendez, and the fight is a complete 180, with Melendez dominating the majority of the fight.

Coming off the loss to melendez, thomson fights an underrated healy, and wins with a third round submission in an awesome comeback

Off that win, thomson fought cavalcante. This fight was a robbery, period. Cavalcante won rounds 1 and 3. http://mmadecisions.com/decision/1953/Josh-Thomson-vs-JZ-Cavalcante

Off the Cavalcante robbery win, Thomson fought Kawajiri in Japan. Thomson was thoroughly dominated for 15 minutes. This should be two losses in a row.

Off the thrashing by Kawajiri, Thomson fought Noons, and lnp'ed him for 15 minutes. This fight sucked. Badly. But, due to Strikeforce matchmaking, a robbery win, a dominating loss, and a lnp win = title shot.

For whatever reason, Strikeforce decides to make melendez/thomson 3. Everyone thinks thomson is going to get crushed, but he manages to make round 3 competitive, and wins rounds 4 and 5, resulting in a split decision loss.

Then he comes to the UFC, and fairly KO's diaz. It was his biggest win since beating melendez for sure.

But, there is no way all of this amounts to a title shot. Healy/Nurm winner deserves it a lot more at this point. Hell, so does dos anjos.

At least he fights in his own weight division..

Vitor and Sonnen for randomness in shitle tots!

Chael and Vitor did what to get a shot at Jones? Machida beat a 50 year old Couture after having lost 3 fights in a row(yes he lost to Shogun both times)

great thread though bruh

u hate Thomson....registered

This is an odd thread in a year where two guys got title shots coming off of losses, one particularly in another weight class. At least Thomson knocked out the former #1 contender.

Moreso than Serra and Lutter?

They won a tournament that guaranteed to give them a shot. I don't see the issue with it either.
Serra actually won his match and Lutter almost won as well. If Lutter actually had a gas tank he would have been one of the best guys at 185.

They needed a contender and Thomson got robbed against Melendez from what I hear and KTFO Diaz.

Khabib hasn't beat anyone close to Top 10 yet (even though I can see him in titel contention soon) and Dos Anjos win against Cerrone wasn't quite as marketable as Thomsons win against Diaz. Plus Thomson was in the Top 10 longer.

I think that's a good matchup.

But Pettis got this.

Back