Thompson's karate vs Machida's karate

I agree but its still karate with the darting in n out that he mentioned.

Gsp attributes the getting inside for takedowns to karate. Machida as well. So its similar in that aspect.

So i would say thompsons karate seems more exciting for mma.

Well the thing is that Machida's karate is based on landing one massive strike to finish a guy. Thompson comes from a full-contact kickboxing-esque karate background where it's all about landing shots and not getting hit. Both are equally effective in MMA, IMO, but they aren't really comparable. It's like comparing Melvin Guillard to Nick Diaz because they both like to box, you know?

I went a wiki Machida and found out he gave one of his brother a cheek scar during a Karate match, and still has the scar till this day.

Machida has a more traditional karate style while Thompson has more of a kickboxing-karate style.

I hate it when people use the term "karate" as some kind of an umbrella term to refer to styles of karate...
Machida is shotokan, stephen is american kempo.

Kyokushin > all other karate. They equally lose.

You want to win fights in real life with Karate? Train Kyokushin.
[YT]3IetAhImUfk#t=176[/YT]

Last edited:
Different levels of competition. Machida couldnt be touched for many years against much better fighters so id say no.

Machida easily.. Had you watched his rise to the top you would know this to be true.

Machida drank his own piss. he wins.

I went a wiki Machida and found out he gave one of his brother a cheek scar during a Karate match, and still has the scar till this day.

Lol. Wiki is full of such trivial shit sometimes.

He's definitely a more entertaining striker. Lyoto is a counter striker and wonderboy is a aggressive. lyoto has Better defense though. Keep in mind Thompson is doing this against low ranked guys. Machida has been fighting the best the last 4 years.

Fun question, I`m gonna go with Machida just because I`ve watched him more. I`ve been able to really sit down, grab a beer, light one up & watch Machida fight as I break it down in my head as if I actually know what I`m talking about. Also, I really don`t know much about Thompson so I think I should watch more of Thompsons fights before I try & pretend I can judge his level KARATE.

Look, I've talked about this at length in the Striking Forum:

Thompson is an American Kenpo Karate practitioner. Lyoto Machida is a Japanaese-style Shotokan practitioner. They are significantly different; American Kenpo came from an unnamed style of Okinawan Kenpo but has been significantly altered with Chinese styles and Boxing, and has about 800-different lineages. Machida did a very traditional style of Shotokan Karate, which developed from the Shuri region of Okinawa and fleshed itself into a different Karate style in Japan. They have about 100-years of divergence.

Furthermore, one competed in the NBL-style tournaments, and one competed in the JKA-style tournaments, two very different looking point-sparring competitions.

They are very different.

Machida is unique because of his sumo background. Along with high level judo and BJJ all trained from childhood along with his karate base makes him a once in a lifetime fighter.

Thompson is fun to watch but he will wilt against higher ranking wrestlers and grapplers.

Lol at these people.

Thompson's striking is better. Machida has enjoyed more success because: a) he's been in it longer, b) he has the TDD base from Sumo.

That being said, Thompson will likely never sniff the 170lb belt.

Look, I've talked about this at length in the Striking Forum:

Thompson is an American Kenpo Karate practitioner. Lyoto Machida is a Japanaese-style Shotokan practitioner. They are significantly different; American Kenpo came from an unnamed style of Okinawan Kenpo but has been significantly altered with Chinese styles and Boxing, and has about 800-different lineages. Machida did a very traditional style of Shotokan Karate, which developed from the Shuri region of Okinawa and fleshed itself into a different Karate style in Japan. They have about 100-years of divergence.

Furthermore, one competed in the NBL-style tournaments, and one competed in the JKA-style tournaments, two very different looking point-sparring competitions.

They are very different.

Yeh but who wins k1?

I asked if his implementation of karate into mma was better than machidas. Nobody asked if his accomplishments or rankings were better u tard. Stop being all defensive just because i compared him to a fighter u like.

if machida fights a guy of chris clements level, he would just KO this guy in half a minute

Back