Thompson deserves Lawler or #1 Contender's

• Thread starter Deleted member 479811
  • Start date
He just KO´d the former champ in the 1st round and made it look easy, the same guy who was allegedly robbed against GSP and fought two really close fights and went 1-1 to the current champ, Wonderboy deserves his shot, make Woodley vs Condit 2 for the next shot, Rory might still be under recovery lol.

Why not? Woodley hasn't fought in over a year and was soundly beat by Rory.
Agreed .. at this point I want to see the most impressive and exciting fighter get the shot. TS is right, WB just made the former Champ look like an amateur while Woodley is squeaking by.

He did what robbie couldn't in 10 rounds in less than 1. Wonderboy deserves the shot more than anyone.

That's the problem with flukey rankings and DW opening his mouth.

Woodley did put on a nice streak that included beating Gastellum (him and Tumerov are the future of the division), messing up DHK's winning streak, beating Condit (no matter how it happened), and losing a decision McDonald. Plus I had Woodley beating Hendricks but it's not Woodley's fault the scale did it first. I do think the full diva mode he went in isn't a good look though.

Maia - former title contender who Andersen didn't want to any piece of him on the ground. 7-2 in his last 9 including a 4 fight win streak. Losses include a FOTY candidate against Shields and Rory McDonald. Going to probably beat the last man to beat Wonderboy. And he's the best ground guy in mma period. At least top 5 (Jacare, Werdum, Shields, Palhares other 4 imo). I think he's the biggest threat to the whole division.

Wonderboy - been on an absolute tear. Only loss has been to Matt Brown. Stopped Clements, Ellenberger, Whittaker (I would love to see a rematch @ 185), and Hendricks. Cote win is looking better and better everyday. Fan friendly style who using skills that most people wrote off (side stance/primary karate user) as being inapplicable to mma. New kid on the block.

The only reason I say give Woodley the shot is because we heard it out of DW's mouth that he was next in line after the Hendricks's taubacle. Plus if he beats Hendricks than we're not even having this conversation. But this is the UFC and it's about money/entertainment.

If I had the power
Lawler vs Woodley
Maia (if he gets the W over Brown) vs WB
Condit vs McDonald 2

Woodley didn't really put together a nice streak. And he didn't lose a decision, he got dominated and if Rory had killer instinct it would have been a tko.

Doesn't matter what order they sort out the title contenders for the next 2 - 3 shots. Whoever is champ when Rory gets back to challenge will lose. I don't see anyone beating Rory when he comes back closer to prime.

Woodley didn't really put together a nice streak. And he didn't lose a decision, he got dominated and if Rory had killer instinct it would have been a tko.
5-2 in his last 7. 4 stoppages (Condit, Heiron, DHK, Koscheck). Lost a UD to McDonald and a SD to Jake Shields. Impressive to me. Plus I had him beating Hendricks imo. He has a legitimate claim to a title shot.

After what he did to what was supposed to be a better improved version of Hendrix that we never seen(as he said), he deserves the belt on a silver platter.

Wonderboy Vs Woodley or Condit for #1 contender sound good to me. wouldn't give him Lawler right away

Lawler vs Woodley

Condit-Wonderboy

No sense in making Lawler wait 6 months to fight when a contender is right there.

5-2 in his last 7. 4 stoppages (Condit, Heiron, DHK, Koscheck). Lost a UD to McDonald and a SD to Jake Shields. Impressive to me. Plus I had him beating Hendricks imo. He has a legitimate claim to a title shot.

Compare that to absolute destruction of every opponent by Thompson and a close decision loss by Brown when Thompson was fresh in UFC.

Compare that to absolute destruction of every opponent by Thompson and a close decision loss by Brown when Thompson was fresh in UFC.
Yes. You clearly didn't read my first response when I said the same thing basically. You also have to keep in mind Woodley has faced much stiffer competition than WB. In Woodley's mind, Hendricks not being able to fight shouldn't be counted against him and I agree. Plus, in his mind he should get win credit for Hendricks missing weight. (I don't agree) The UFC should have booked Woodley vs Hendricks again instead of WB vs Hendricks just to avoid exactly what's happening now.

i think condit and thompson should fight for the #1 contender. If condit decides to retire than maia vs thompson. Woodley has only won two fights in a row and they werent against top competition so I dont know so many people are clamoring for him to have a shot. And Im a woodley fan

He demolished Hendricks in a way no one has before him, he's definitely good for a title shot.

Woodley seems like a bad match-up for him. I'd love to see Lawler/Thompson but I feel that Tyron Woodley has to be a step ahead of him in the rankings.

That was a different Hendricks that fought Lawler.
Wishful thinking. Just because Thompson made Hendricks look like a noob doesn't mean it was a different Hendricks than the one who fought Lawler.

If he wants the title shot, let him defeat Johny Hendricks when Johny has good sparring partners that can emulate karate. First fight doesn't count as far as I'm concerned.

Back