Thomas Hearns Vs Floyd Mayweather

whenever you compare floyd to someone

just know cracky will chime in and say floyd gets stopped in 6 and under, despite the fact that floyd has never really shown to be vulnerable to KO

the reason? because cracky is stupid.

im not saying that floyd beats hearns, but saying floyd gets ko'd in 2 is dumb. hearns has let much worse fighters get to a dec, much more past 2 rounds

cracky in every thread involving floyd says floyd would get ko'd

he just hates. please ignore him. someone has to call this guy out, the stuff he says is too biased to be taken seriously.

I don't think Benitez was as good defensively as Floyd. Plus, Floyd incorportates his offense into his defense much better than Wilfred was able to do.

That said, Hearns beats Mayweather by a four point margin.

Mismatch size-wise...Tommy spent most of his career over 147.

Why don't you have him fight Duran or Leonard instead?

even though im not a mayweather fan, I like to think I give him credit when its due. That being said, I think Hearns is a horrible matchup for him. Theres some guys that are probably higher than Mayweather on the all time lists, but that Floyd would beat style-wise, but Hearns isnt one of em.

Benitez and Leanord are 1-1-1 against Hearns. The only fighter of the three to be stopped in those fights was Hearns.

Actually Leonard recently conceded that the second bout should have been awarded to Hearns

Benitez was a good defensive fighter, not as good as Floyd. Also his transition from defense to offense wasn't as fluent and effective as Mayweathers. He would work then he would evade, then work, etc (for the most part). Mayweather takes all shots that don't miss on his shoulder/arms and throws/lands punches at every opening there is in between. SRL had both speed AND defensive ability. His speed was consistent, his attention to detail(i.e. defensive caution) was not always there. This made his fights more exciting than Mayweather's and his domination despite throwing caution out the window at times made him a great....but it occasionally exposed him and allowed his guard to be breached. Anytime Floyd makes a slight mistake he moves/holds and immediately regroups and continues to use his athletic/technical advantages. Hearns can be frustrated and drawn out of his gameplan and play into his opponents', as has been seen in numerous fights. I haven't seen it once in Floyd's career other than little spurts, which are immediately rubbed out with hugs/movement.

Floyd has a major transition between defense and offense. Yes he counters well, but so did Benitez. When Floyd gets under serious fire, he goes to the ropes and shuts down offensively until he has the opportunity to spin out to a safe range.

Not just his defense, but the fluidity of his transition from offense to defense and vice versa continually at every strategic opportunity. I rank his ability to do this above Leonard's.

SRL won his fans by putting on great fights. However, as we saw in his second bout against Duran, he could play it safe and be effective offensively if he chose to. He just understood that that style would have damaged his fan base and legacy.

Jesus Christ I just can’t believe Floyd is being compared to all time great WW’s like Hearns, Leonard and Benitez. Why don’t we throw Duran in the mix while we’re at it.

Floyd is going to be remembered for his days at 135 and below, not ducking the best fighters at 147.

He is going to be pushing for greatest WW of all time at this rate. It’s just laughable.

I think Floyd will be remembered as a welterweight. It's not like he's undersized.
He's got fanatics though. They aren't quite as bad as tito fanatics were, but they are over-valuing him.

whenever you compare floyd to someone

just know cracky will chime in and say floyd gets stopped in 6 and under, despite the fact that floyd has never really shown to be vulnerable to KO

the reason? because cracky is stupid.

im not saying that floyd beats hearns, but saying floyd gets ko'd in 2 is dumb. hearns has let much worse fighters get to a dec, much more past 2 rounds

cracky in every thread involving floyd says floyd would get ko'd

he just hates. please ignore him. someone has to call this guy out, the stuff he says is too biased to be taken seriously.

You know what was also dumb.. saying Duran would get ko'd early against Hearns.. but it happened.

At 147-54, Hearns was an absolute fucking terror. His power was good enough to carry him to CW. He could win this fight by big KO or decision, but make no mistake, he does win it. Too many physical advantages, as others have mentioned. Floyd hasn't fought a puncher of Tommy's caliber. Tommy would bury Delahoya in a few rounds as well. In fact, any guy who wasn't at least 147 naturally and has to go up to welter to challenge pretty much gets demolished. He feasted on small, short armed guys. Floyd would need to be very defensive minded in the early going to have a chance late. If Tommy's bread and butter right cross lands flush, call the paramedics, cuz that punch pretty much fucked everyone up.

I don't think Benitez was as good defensively as Floyd. Plus, Floyd incorportates his offense into his defense much better than Wilfred was able to do.

I don't know. I've seen Wilfred not get hit for rounds and rounds, and that's against good opposition. You know how I feel about the Philly Shell, and Floyd's better at incorporating offense, to that I agree. But there are times when blocking shots with your shoulders and arms = you're getting hit in the eyes of Judges. Especially if you don't answer back much. Not saying Floyd is guilty of this per se, but that Wilfred had different methods (like his catching punches) that look more attractive to someone looking to score a round for a defensive Fighter.

I dont disagree with any of that. When Wilfred went on the defensive, he was almost invisible in there. That was part of the problem though, because for the life of me I can't see Floyd being lit up like Benitez was by Bruce Curry. Benitez fought a hell of a lot, but he was not the ghost in a great many of them. He was too easy to hit when he was trying to hit you back, IMO.

Wilfred is my boy though and I feel even closer to him now, that we're both inflicted with the same disease.

You DO know of my friend Jose (buddy from Film School) and his first major motion picture Production right? It's called "Radar." It's the life story of Wilfred and his Family. Jose met one of the Brothers and heard the story, then talked to Wilfred's Mother and got permission to do the flick. Part of the reason I'm putting together connects in the Boxing World, is to bring this project to life.

I recently told Jose of Stephan Pryor's project, which if that comes to fruition it'd be a good "get your feet wet" in the World of Filming Boxing for Jose. The Radar piece will be done in both English and Spanish (where appropriate) and will also mark the times of what was going on in Puerto Rico and New York, as well as bring recognition back to Wilfred, the buried Puerto Rican Legend.

With all that said, I agree about when Wilfred tried to hit back. Seemed he only had the two gears, and never the 'tween shall meet.

Your name is elbowsmash...nuffsaid..lol

Get back in floyd's boxers and leave me be.

Doesn't Benitez suffer from some sort of dementia?

I don't get it. And what's Wilfredo's and Tam's condition?

Type I diabetes.

Doesn't Benitez suffer from some sort of dementia?

He's for all practical purposes autistic now, yes.

That's unfortunate. One year I raised $4,000 for Type 1 diabetes research.... it's not much, but hey, for one person that ain't bad.

A long time ago, my Puerto Rican friend from Theboxinggame.com told me that Benitez was living in poverty and had the mind of a child now. Pretty sad stuff.

Back