This years Hall of Fame candidates

I'd rather the Hall of Fame for the sport didn't base it's inductions on who's most likely to bring a crowd with them.

I can't disagree here. But money talks. And Gatti may not have had every belt in every weight class or won his biggest fights but he was a big draw well past his best days. I personally don't hate the fact that he got in.

Boxers who weren't based or prominently featured in America already have to leap through hoops to get in compared to US based ones (see the lack of Asian boxers for a clear example of that). Them not being able to get a planeful of people to fly over for the ceremony should in no way impact on whether they're inducted or not.

Myung-Woo Yuh got in this year. He's Asian as fuck.

I can't disagree here. But money talks. And Gatti may not have had every belt in every weight class or won his biggest fights but he was a big draw well past his best days. I personally don't hate the fact that he got in.

I'm not particularly against Gatti being in there; his in ring achievements are just about enough to mean it isn't a complete farce and there's several other boxers in there who likely don't deserve to be based on what they achieved in-ring.

I just object to the idea that who can bring a big crowd to the ceremony should be a factor at all, let alone a significant one.

Myung-Woo Yuh got in this year. He's Asian as fuck.

Yes... but he still had to wait five years to be inducted while the likes of Hiroyuki Ebihara, Pone Kingpetch, Yoko Gushiken, Masao Ohba and Yoshio Shirai are still lingering, waiting for selection.

Speaking of people who may/or may not deserve to be in, let me ask you something, consortium. I met Tony DeMarco a few times at the HOF this year and actually ran into him again at Foxwoods when I went for the Golovkin/Macklin fight. He's always been a favorite if mine and an old Boston hero. When we asked if he'd attend the HOF again next year he said he actually might not. He's a little sour that he himself hasn't gotten in. He's been there with Basilio since the beginning of the HOF in Canastota. Every year.

So in your opinion, based on his accomplishments, should he be in?? I personally think so. Even though he lost to Basilio twice, they were amazing fights and he was the welterweight champ. I've debated this with a few if my friends and I'd be interested in your assessment based on your knowledge of boxing history.

Probably not, no. Demarco is basically a guy who lost to hall of famers and really never accomplished anything of note. Compared to the other guys of his era who ARE in the hall- No, he doesn't belong.

He had a few names he beat but Gavilan was ancient and guys like Saxton didn't have the impact overall to be enough to get him in there.

He's not in there for the same reason Gatti is and Ward isn't.

That's a pretty fair assessment.

Was a huuuuuge tito fan back in the day. Puerto rico seems to breed excitement machine power punches. Tito, cotto, JM lopez even swift.

Back