This would be fun to own

ssssmashing

Purple Belt
Reaction score
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/abTGAP7tG0Y&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/abTGAP7tG0Y&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

A belt fed machine gun that fires .22cal LR. With the price of ammo going through the roof this would be a fun, inexpensive gadget to have.

That's a different gun Vector. It's a cool idea though.

I don't think this is relevant, but it's damn cool
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/CdAbshyL2zU&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/CdAbshyL2zU&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

That would be fun as hell. Not really many places you could shoot it though.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/CdAbshyL2zU&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/CdAbshyL2zU&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Now thats what I'm talking about! Very nice, simply a modified glock!

Actually, I think that the MG in that video fires a .17 Remington in a special casing. Kinda cool, yes; I've heard of advanced tool-making machines being used to make flawless micro-copies of full-sized guns that are functional, and this fascinates me. But they're not too practical.

the Ruger 10/22 is supposedly not too hard to conver to full auto, though I've not tried. I don't trust my skill with special machining tools I do not own to make a firearm that won't catastrophically fuck up when I shoot it. I also came across two sets of parts from two dealers at a gun show which, I was told, were legal to sell separately but not assemble, as it made the weapon fuil-- as if there'd be a reason to own two unassembled parts of a kit to modify a legal plinking rifle into an illegal bullet hose and keep them apart. I eventually passed...maybe because the guy trying to talk around selling it did so in a way that to me just screamed "ENTRAPMENT!!"

I once saw a guy at a range firing a gun whose name I don't recall...a "Something" MkII, I think. It looked like a midget version of the old British .303 Lewis Gun from WWI, with a big cylindrical mag that sat on top. I'd estimate the cyclic rate was around 1,000 to 1,200 r.p.m by how it sounded, and it shredded the fuck out of every target he pasted. Looked like a shitload of fun.

A .22 auto would be a blast. I've rented 9mm and .45 SMGs at gun ranges, and found that even when I'm trying to hold back, I can burn through $100-$150 in ammo in a short period of time. Makes $10 for a brick of 500 sound nice.

I've rented 9mm and .45 SMGs at gun ranges, and found that even when I'm trying to hold back, I can burn through $100-$150 in ammo in a short period of time. Makes $10 for a brick of 500 sound nice.
Tell me about it, it is an expensive hobby. I'm considering reloading

Actually, I think that the MG in that video fires a .17 Remington in a special casing. Kinda cool, yes; I've heard of advanced tool-making machines being used to make flawless micro-copies of full-sized guns that are functional, and this fascinates me. But they're not too practical.

the Ruger 10/22 is supposedly not too hard to conver to full auto, though I've not tried. I don't trust my skill with special machining tools I do not own to make a firearm that won't catastrophically fuck up when I shoot it. I also came across two sets of parts from two dealers at a gun show which, I was told, were legal to sell separately but not assemble, as it made the weapon fuil-- as if there'd be a reason to own two unassembled parts of a kit to modify a legal plinking rifle into an illegal bullet hose and keep them apart. I eventually passed...maybe because the guy trying to talk around selling it did so in a way that to me just screamed "ENTRAPMENT!!"

I once saw a guy at a range firing a gun whose name I don't recall...a "Something" MkII, I think. It looked like a midget version of the old British .303 Lewis Gun from WWI, with a big cylindrical mag that sat on top. I'd estimate the cyclic rate was around 1,000 to 1,200 r.p.m by how it sounded, and it shredded the fuck out of every target he pasted. Looked like a shitload of fun.

A .22 auto would be a blast. I've rented 9mm and .45 SMGs at gun ranges, and found that even when I'm trying to hold back, I can burn through $100-$150 in ammo in a short period of time. Makes $10 for a brick of 500 sound nice.

Our local gun show used to be like that. You'd ask a guy, "Do you have a select fire for a Ruger 10-22?" He'd smile and say, "No. But I have this box of "miscellaneous parts" for the 10-22. I don't know what's in there or what it does, but you can have it for $150." Used to be able to buy tracers, grenade fuses pretty much anything. Now you go to that show they've got more agents than vendors.

I never bought any of it or even considered it though. To borrow a quote from the movie Jackie Brown "I ain't got a doin' time kind of disposition."

Tell me about it, it is an expensive hobby. I'm considering reloading

I'm not the expert on on reloading, but from what I understand:

1) The initial buy-in-- bullet press, tools, gadgets and accoutrments, and such-- is a little steep. You won't start making your money back right away, depending on what you shoot. That is: if you're reloading seriously expensive ammo like .300 WinMag or .450 or some other bog, hot, or exotic rifle or pistol load, your ROI will be better than if you reload something more generic.

2) You have to learn. LIke everything else, you'll fuck up a lot at first.

3) It's a bloody time-consuming pursuit. Even old guys with lots of time whose passion is shooting their own ammo who make relatively small batches of their own ammo will tell you this.

You're best bet might be to start haunting the local gun shows; in my experience, if you go to a show and take the time to comparioson-shop the wares, you will find some sweetheart deals. Lots of good-quality foreign military surplus ammo, for instance (i.e. I bagged 300 rounds of South African military .308 ammo, cherry condition, never opened, for $50). Be sure to wait towards the end of business hours, when the dealers begin marking their stuff down to undersell the competition and increase their total haul for the day.

Some of these shows have guys who sell their own handloads, and will cut you a discount if you give them your own spent brass for a down-payment. But beware: quality will vary. I once bought some 9mm that I took to the range and shot, and that crap smoked up the place like I was firing a fucking musket and did not group well during the short period of time before I stopped because everyone in the couple of lanes to my left and right looked like they wanted to punch me.

I once bought some 9mm that I took to the range and shot, and that crap smoked up the place like I was firing a fucking musket and did not group well during the short period of time before I stopped because everyone in the couple of lanes to my left and right looked like they wanted to punch me.

Greg,
Did it ever occur to you that when you're on a pistol range, when people give you that look like they want to punch you, you have far more fatal prospects to consider :icon_chee

But what he says is true. Quality varies greatly and the only thing worse than smoking up the range is taking 4 hours to clean the grime off your pieces. Plus misfires and jams are a major drag.

Greg,
Did it ever occur to you that when you're on a pistol range, when people give you that look like they want to punch you, you have far more fatal prospects to consider :icon_chee

Maybe...but they likewise would have had to consider that anything fatal happening to me would not have occurred from a lack of shooting back. :icon_chee

I'm not the expert on on reloading, but from what I understand:

1) The initial buy-in-- bullet press, tools, gadgets and accoutrments, and such-- is a little steep. You won't start making your money back right away, depending on what you shoot. That is: if you're reloading seriously expensive ammo like .300 WinMag or .450 or some other bog, hot, or exotic rifle or pistol load, your ROI will be better than if you reload something more generic.

2) You have to learn. LIke everything else, you'll fuck up a lot at first.

3) It's a bloody time-consuming pursuit. Even old guys with lots of time whose passion is shooting their own ammo who make relatively small batches of their own ammo will tell you this.

You're best bet might be to start haunting the local gun shows; in my experience, if you go to a show and take the time to comparioson-shop the wares, you will find some sweetheart deals. Lots of good-quality foreign military surplus ammo, for instance (i.e. I bagged 300 rounds of South African military .308 ammo, cherry condition, never opened, for $50). Be sure to wait towards the end of business hours, when the dealers begin marking their stuff down to undersell the competition and increase their total haul for the day.

Some of these shows have guys who sell their own handloads, and will cut you a discount if you give them your own spent brass for a down-payment. But beware: quality will vary. I once bought some 9mm that I took to the range and shot, and that crap smoked up the place like I was firing a fucking musket and did not group well during the short period of time before I stopped because everyone in the couple of lanes to my left and right looked like they wanted to punch me.

I don't think it is that expensive, I believe a decent press is around $150. dies and other misc might run you about $65-100. And you can find brass, powder, and lead for a fairly decent rate at the gunshow. And seeing that you can only purchase about a 1000 rounds (also reloaded ammo, which may or may not be the corrosive shit) for about $275 and up. Almost makes it seem like a good deal. I go through about 100-200 rounds of ammo at the range at the very least. For my pistol the ammo costs $20+ per box of 50, if I reload it might average to about maybe $4 a box!

I don't think it is that expensive, I believe a decent press is around $150. dies and other misc might run you about $65-100. And you can find brass, powder, and lead for a fairly decent rate at the gunshow. And seeing that you can only purchase about a 1000 rounds (also reloaded ammo, which may or may not be the corrosive shit) for about $275 and up. Almost makes it seem like a good deal. I go through about 100-200 rounds of ammo at the range at the very least. For my pistol the ammo costs $20+ per box of 50, if I reload it might average to about maybe $4 a box!

Let's not forget "time" and "patience." Do you have both? You'll need it if you expect to be cranking out ammo of uniform and good quality that will be worth shooting at the range by the gross.

That's badass dude

Let's not forget "time" and "patience." Do you have both? You'll need it if you expect to be cranking out ammo of uniform and good quality that will be worth shooting at the range by the gross.

LOL, Fair'nuff

My dad, when he used to hunt back in the day reloaded his ammo. Mostly his hunting rounds. It was a real pain in the ass from what I remember.

Back