This Whole "Rory Dominated Condit for Two Rounds" Talk

youngsteinel

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Does anyone else think this is a huge myth? Although Rory won the first two rounds, he won them via top control, and didn't land much damage at all. In the first two rounds, Rory landed 3 TDs, but Condit had landed the biggest strike of the fight:

conditrorykd.gif

So yeah, he did not dominate him by any means. The stoppage was a bad one though. The fight should have been a draw. But still, Rory didn't have much to say about the stoppage at the time:

rory-macdonald-carlos-condit-2010-6-12-23-10-9.jpg

If you don't believe me, watch the fight right here:

I swear there has never been a fight with such little significance, that has has so many threads made on it.

Didn't dominate Carlos at all, but made it really competitive.

this has been done to death. No Rory did not dominate Condit and maybe the fight shouldn't of been stopped.

Neither matters at all in their upcoming fight.

I think this thread has been done a lot.

This used to be a prevalent myth in Sherdog around 2010-2011 because people didn't see this fight and they were just going off of what they heard from others, who obviously distorted what actually transpired during the first two rounds. It's also because people regarded Rory as a young rookie back then, so when he exceeded expectations against a former WEC champion, obviously people were impressed but they also went overboard by claiming "he dominated Condit"

Now that people are more familiar with Carlos Condit and doing their research by watching all of his past fights more meticulously (with the help of a bunch of threads like this one), I think most educated, rational fans now know that the first two rounds were very competitive and that myth is dead for the most part IMO

Joe was very biased in that fight.

I had Condit easily winning all of the rounds.

Rory had nice TD's, yeah, but did nothing with them. He actually got hit alot while on the ground and Carlos would just get back up.

Condit was clearly better in the stand up.

Joe had me swayed in thinking Carlos was down, but I picked up the DVD and realized the power of commentary and being in a large crowd.

This used to be a prevalent myth in Sherdog around 2009-2011 because people didn't see this fight and they were just going off of what they heard from others, who obviously distorted what actually transpired during the first two rounds.

Now that people are more familiar with Carlos Condit and doing their research by watching all of his past fights more meticulously (with the help of a bunch of threads like this one), I think most educated, rational fans now know that the first two rounds were very competitive and that myth is dead for the most part IMO

There ya go, I still see people posting it though.

i dont even know if id give him both rounds. condit might have edged one of the first two from what i remember. it was a close fight leading into the third.

EVEN Joe Rogan UFC commentator thinks MacDonald dominated Condit for two rounds.

He didn't dominate either round, it was a terrible stoppage. Fight should have been scored 28-28 draw in my opinion.

Yes Rory won those rounds due to the ongoing 'bias for position' seen in US MMA - he did barely any damage, simply obtained top position to win two very close rounds. There was no domination at all.

In terms of significance in the overall fight, Round 3 was everything. Hence why fights should always be scored "Overall". If that fight had have gone the distance, its a travesty that the system would have likely scored it a draw, when in reality anybody with common sense would agree Condit won by a large margin.

After 15 minutes Rory was DONE. Draw? Pfft. Ridiculous. Unfortunately we continue to be forced to endure the Unified System for scoring, because it's the only "sanctioned" scoring system. The sooner its improved, the better

Yes Rory won those rounds due to the ongoing 'bias for position' seen in US MMA - he did barely any damage, simply obtained top position to win two very close rounds. There was no domination at all.

In terms of significance in the overall fight, Round 3 was everything. Hence why fights should always be scored "Overall". If that fight had have gone the distance, its a travesty that the system would have likely scored it a draw, when in reality anybody with common sense would agree Condit won by a large margin.

Good point.

Doesn't matter Rory's head is a little big right now...Condit will finish him in the coming rematch!

Great efforts from newer UFC fighters against proven competition is always gonna be remembered favorably for the new guy, especially when he takes off afterwards. As he got better later on, so did his "dominating" performance against Carlos.

Good thread, lol that is an absurd myth around here.

Back