This time next year - First PPV of 2016

KillerTKO

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
I have a feeling that come this time next year, we will see Jones v Cormier 2, Saturday 2 January 2016.

I do not see Jones losing to Gus/Rumble and feel that Cormier will need to get two big wins to get a title shot unless there is an injury bug amongst the other LHW's.

I feel Jones beats Gus/Rumble then could face Rashad Evans if he wins against Glover. (makes commercial sense for the UFC to put Rashad in there given the history)

Meanwhile, I see Cormier facing the loser of Gus v Rumble and then the winner of Bader v Phil Davis.

Put Cormier and Jones on the same card around September/October time and let the hype build from there once again.

I genuinely believe that we could be witnessing a similar situation at LHW as we have at HW. Like JDS and Cain, Jones and Cormier are #1 and #2 in the eyes of many and could rematch several times.

The only difference will be the length of time Cormier can keep going.

Jones needs to be fed fresh meat after he fights Gus again. DC didn't do enough to make a rematch interesting.

It isn't even guaranteed that Cormier can beat other top LHWs.

It isn't even guaranteed that Cormier can beat other top LHWs.

I think he beats anyone not named Jones to be honest which is why I think a rematch will need to happen at some point.

I just looked at the LHW division for other prospects to jump to the top of the list, absolutely nothing there that would warrant a place above Cormier.

OSP - good but not great
Manuwa - Shown limited skills so far, long way to go and needs several fights.
Shogun - Middleweight might be his last chance saloon
Cummins - Cormier handled him albeit on short notice, needs time to improve especially given he is only recently a full time pro.

I think he beats anyone not named Jones to be honest which is why I think a rematch will need to happen at some point.

I just looked at the LHW division for other prospects to jump to the top of the list, absolutely nothing there that would warrant a place above Cormier.

OSP - good but not great
Manuwa - Shown limited skills so far, long way to go and needs several fights.
Shogun - Middleweight might be his last chance saloon
Cummins - Cormier handled him albeit on short notice, needs time to improve especially given he is only recently a full time pro.

Rumble, Gus, and Rashad could all give DC trouble.

We don't even know how DC will recover from this loss---this is the same guy that ballooned to 260 pounds after placing 4th in the Olympics.

Rumble, Gus, and Rashad could all give DC trouble.

We don't even know how DC will recover from this loss---this is the same guy that ballooned to 260 pounds after placing 4th in the Olympics.

Thats a fair point, I think that AKA have a big role to play in his future. He is the team captain so hopefully he will embrace that and get back in the gym asap to help Rockhold and McGeary for their upcoming fights.

Back