This sucks man

If you listen to Sea Pea talk these days, it is also apparent that his brain isn't functioning on all cylinders, but people don't factor in the fact that he has od'd many times and the effect those drugs had on him. Life style choices, though I do not know if Benitez had drug problems, can attribute to these type of things. So can any medical conditions that affect normal brain functioning.

Blaming boxing is just the easiest thing to do... yes it is possible that his disease was caused by his years in the ring, but it is also possible that it was caused by numerous other things.

On one hand I agree with you that genetics and lifestyle play a significant part in long-term damage an it's effects, but I don't thinks it's logical to suggest that engaging in a profession that requires repeated blows to the head in training and competition doesn't have a profound effect on cognitive function in old age.

Boxing is a voluntary activity that offers substantial risk and the potential for huge reward, that's why I have so much respect these warriors that have risked so much for our entertainment.

On one hand I agree with you that genetics and lifestyle play a significant part in long-term damage an it's effects, but I don't thinks it's logical to suggest that engaging in a profession that requires repeated blows to the head in training and competition doesn't have a profound effect on cognitive function in old age.

Boxing is a voluntary activity that offers substantial risk and the potential for huge reward, that's why I have so much respect these warriors that have risked so much for our entertainment.

I'm not suggesting there's no risk. I'm just saying that it is peculiar that many guys that ate a lot of shots are fine(Julio Cesar Chavez, Mickey Ward, Ray Mancini, Jorge Arce etc.) while some guys that ate relatively few shots like Benitez, Swea Pea, James Toney, Terry Norris, and Tommy Hearns have shown signs of brain deterioration. Considering the greater volume of punches that the first group I mentioned took over the volume of the more defensive fighters, I think it's feasible to suggest that there may be another factor involved and that just blaming boxing is a hasty decision.

I'm not suggesting there's no risk. I'm just saying that it is peculiar that many guys that ate a lot of shots are fine(Julio Cesar Chavez, Mickey Ward, Ray Mancini, Jorge Arce etc.) while some guys that ate relatively few shots like Benitez, Swea Pea, James Toney, Terry Norris, and Tommy Hearns have shown signs of brain deterioration. Considering the greater volume of punches that the first group I mentioned took over the volume of the more defensive fighters, I think it's feasible to suggest that there may be another factor involved and that just blaming boxing is a hasty decision.

Cracky I have agreed with every thing that you have said. One thing i wanted to point out though is Julio is a lil punch drunk, if you listen to the way he spoke spanish then and now there is a little slur in his words.

On a different note its the same for football players. after they retire and have problems its footballs fault. There are so many outside factors that play into injuries. Genetics is a big one. Lifestyle.

Sad story, but there is no proof that this is related to boxing. He probably has Alzheimer, and Alzheimers is natural disorder that can happen to anyone.

I agree 100%.

Back