this suck monkey balls

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by sleeper7777777, Nov 3, 2005.

1. sleeper7777777

sleeper7777777 Orange Belt

Recently i started feeling stiffness and slight pain in the part of my armpit where my shoulder meets my chest. Unfortunately i cannot go to see a doctor because i have no medical insurance. some people i have talked to think it is tedonitis( yea i know i should go see a doctor but i dont have the money). if it is this mean a stop to all upperbody weight training and some grip work. i feel like shit right and i feel this totally blows os i thought i would post here and remin people to STRETCH.

2. Urban

Urban Savage Mystic

Dan john says before they invented stretching nobody got injured. Now every goon on the soccer field, in the weight room, on the track, wherever stretches and oddly enough the rate of injury has gone up... hmmm....

3. cockysprinter

cockysprinter Purple Belt

i havent stretched in years. and im a hurdler.

4. Urban

Urban Savage Mystic

any significant injuries?

5. Madmick

Madmick Cerebrage Staff Member Senior Moderator

I don't see how a martial artist could possibly get away without stretching. Flexibilty is too important to success, regardless of whether it may increase the likelihood of injury.

I've heard very few S&C coaches advise against stretching. I would think the increased rate of injury might have something more to do with the closing gap between the average athletes' ability and his potential. I mean, most didn't lift weights before stretching, either, so I think it probably has more to do with lifting than stretching...but I've never undertaken to investigate this controversy myself.

6. Jeremy Henderson

Jeremy Henderson Amateur Fighter

ice it and take motrin

7. Sonny

Sonny Handsome Woman

Does that include all types of stretching? Or just static stretching?

8. Madmick

Madmick Cerebrage Staff Member Senior Moderator

Yeah, is he just talking about static stretching performed prior to resistance training?

In that case, hell yeah, I know where he's coming from.

9. Sean S

Sean S Brown Belt

Absolutly correct. Static stretching before 99% of training types should not happen. There are a few odd examples, but this hold true for most. Dynamic, dynamic, dynamic. And uhg NEVER static stretch before power lifting. A stretch reflex is a good thing.

10. Sean S

Sean S Brown Belt

Also I'd like to add that most of the time stretching itself does not cause injuries. Incorrect stretching does.

11. SlappyMacGee

SlappyMacGee Banned Banned

I never used to stretch and I got hurt all the time. I stretch a lot more now and I haven't been getting injured. There are other factors for me, such as weight loss that have to be considered, but stretching has helped me stay injury free.

12. rickdog

rickdog Purple Belt

I agree. I can't imagine not stretching before wrestling or Kickboxing.classes, especially the live fighting. Why do you guys say static stretching is bad? Any studies proving this statement? Madmick, I am in total agreement with your first post but am interested to as why you say balistic stretching but not static. Please explain the stretch reflex more thoroughly. Thanks guys!!

13. cockysprinter

cockysprinter Purple Belt

nope.

14. sleeper7777777

sleeper7777777 Orange Belt

thanks, have you had it before?

15. Sean S

Sean S Brown Belt

The sort of it because I don't have a lot time right now:

Stretch reflex, in simple terms, is the point at which your body tightens up your muscles when something (Leg, arm, whatever) is put in motion. Static stretching helps to "reset" where the stretch reflex fires. Why is this a bad thing? When there is no stretch reflex firing at a certain point, say parallel in a squat, it becomes much more difficult to create tension. Less tension, less chance of being able to get out of the position. In fact, more chance of going in the same direction. As a powerlifter, for example, you are dependent on the stretch reflex firing at some point in order to get a "spring" like action.

Now why dynamic stretches? If nothing else, they allow your body to "get comfortable" in a certain range of motion while warming up joints and so on. This way you can still retain the stretch reflex without getting odd musle strains that come from an unprepared body.'

Oh and also, never do balistic stretches. There is a huge difference between a dynamic stretch and a balistic one. Dynamic is controled and usually done at about 75% of your speed. Balistic means you aren't controlling, but completely forcing. Basically you do the range of motion until the stretch reflex fires and reverse your motion. You can keep doing this until you get to the desired range of motion. However, do not do tire your muscles out. If anyone even mentions the words "balistic" and "strech" in the same phrase, just walk away slowly.

16. rickdog

rickdog Purple Belt

Ok, that makes perfect sense. Do you guys recomend only doing dynamic stretches before MMA training too or are is static stretching bad before that also.

I guess what i'm trying to say in my ramblings is this, are static stretches bad just before lifting (because you don't want to hinder the stretch reflex) or should they be avoided altogether, even before wrestling or any MMA. Will the stretch reflex help more than just lifting but also help in MMA or is it too specific for that?