This recent sad news with Cain is just more evidence why Fedor will never be surpassed

It's a fair point.

The thing is, it's extremely difficult to communicate to someone who wasn't watching MMA at the time how good Fedor was and what his aura was like. It's truly almost impossible to get that message across to those who weren't around.

I'm old enough to have seen Tyson coming up, at his peak, and after the Douglas fight. Same with Fedor -- rise, peak, fall.

For people who don't understand how great Tyson was and what kind of spell he had over the public (and his opponents), there's almost no way to say it to those who just dismiss him as "overhyped" and "a fraud."

So much of what made Tyson and Fedor great was their incredible mystique. Opponents were terrified and 'defeated' before they even stepped into the ring or cage.

I still remember how much time the Brazilians took in trying to figure out a way to defeat Fedor. They would talk about it all the time, think about it, etc. It was like an obsession.

Prime Fedor, his ability and his presence, was unlike anything I've ever seen in MMA before or since. Prime Tyson is probably the closest analogue. Jones had that same kind of "it" thing until the Gus fight. That's the closest UFC comparison I can think of.

It's kind of cliche to say, but it really is a thing of "if you weren't there then, you wouldn't understand it." Fedor losing a fight was almost inconceivable. You just wanted to see if he would even lose a round.

Tyson and Fedor are very different. For starters, Fedor actually beat great fighters and earned his reputation, Mike Tyson was a media darling who's biggest win is 75 year old Larry Holmes. I get the point you're trying to make, but comparing him to Tyson is unfair to Fedor, as Tyson is actually what people consider Fedor to be - a hype job.

what happened to the Fedor man love thread??

Back